Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: difference between RAID and non-RAID  (Read 5373 times)

munkytown

Topic Starter

Beginner

• Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Familiar
    difference between RAID and non-RAID
    « on: June 16, 2009, 11:28:24 AM »
    could someone tell me the difference between RAID and non-RAID? i've been looking for a PCI card to add some IDE drives to my pc and am now wondering if i need to be concerned with the RAID vs. non-RAID depending on what drives i want to add (HDD's and optical). thanks.

jerryheavyarms

Apprentice

• http://www.youtube.com/theoldpath
      • Bible insights by THE MOST SENSIBLE PREACHER OF OUR TIME.
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: difference between RAID and non-RAID
    « Reply #1 on: June 16, 2009, 11:49:02 AM »
    This is RAID. Is this what you would want to know? You can add another hard disk to your computer and not use RAID as this will only add another drive to it..
    "Most complex problems do have a solution. It is only that we don't attempt to think. So let's apply: Dont just do something, sit there."
    --Kuya Daniel Razon

Everything in this world will remind us of God, even every drop of a leaf from its stem will remind us of His glory. -Bro.Eli Soriano

munkytown

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2009, 12:08:05 PM »
      wow thats alot of info, lol. but i'm still unsure. i know i need a PCI card to add some IDE hard drives and an IDE CD-RW/DVD-ROM combo drive to my computer. it has a SATA drive as the C drive and there is no place on the motherboard to add any IDE drives, only SATA drives. hence the reason i need to add the PCI card.

jerryheavyarms

Apprentice

• http://www.youtube.com/theoldpath
        • Bible insights by THE MOST SENSIBLE PREACHER OF OUR TIME.
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #3 on: June 16, 2009, 12:12:18 PM »
      Oh, in that case you would surely need that card. Or you may want to consider buying an external closure for hard disk that can accomodate IDE drives..
      "Most complex problems do have a solution. It is only that we don't attempt to think. So let's apply: Dont just do something, sit there."
      --Kuya Daniel Razon

Everything in this world will remind us of God, even every drop of a leaf from its stem will remind us of His glory. -Bro.Eli Soriano

munkytown

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2009, 02:37:01 PM »
        i definitely want to try the card. but i wasn't sure why i saw 2 cards online that seemed to be exactly the same except one said "non-RAID." i didn't know what the difference was, if any. and i already have one IDE hard drive in an external enclosure which i connect via firewire. and my CD-RW/DVD-ROM combo drive in an external connected via usb. they both work but i have at least 2 other IDE hard drives that i would prefer to install in my tower along with the combo drive rather than purchase more external enclosures, spending that much more money and taking up more space on my desk, not to mention i don't know if i'm going to have enough available usb ports for those and any other usb devices i need to use. i know if they do work with the PCI card that they still wont be as fast as SATA or even firewire but im more concerned with cost and desk space.