Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: AC Adapter Issues and External Hard Drive Qu.  (Read 2697 times)

LauraG

AC Adapter Issues and External Hard Drive Qu.
« on: June 16, 2009, 03:37:48 AM »
Hi there, I was just wondering if anyone can suggest what I should do about my AC adapter problem. I use an HP Pavilion Dv5000 (just over 3 years old) and today my 5th AC Adapter in the past 12 months has just given up the ghost. It still functions in itself, the LED is on and constant etc, the problem seems to lie in the (excuse my lack of technical vocabulary) bit that goes into the laptop. I occasionally get a nano-second of charge if I wiggle it in the sockety bit  ;D  I'm almost completely computer illiterate so please excuse me if I'm demonstrating this in an embarrassing fashion. Is this problem likely to be of my own making? I can't think what I'd be doing wrong but y'never know!

Anyway, rather then forking out every few months for a replacement AC adapter, am I better off just getting a new laptop?

If I do this, is it possible to transfer the entire contents of my laptop onto an external hard drive and put it on the new laptop?

Thanks for reading if you made it this far, I know it's a really boring problem.

Laura.

Mulreay

Re: AC Adapter Issues and External Hard Drive Qu.
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2009, 04:53:06 AM »
Hi LauraG no such thing as a boring problem it's still a problem to you. Ok couple of question first. When you replace the adapter (full chord, both parts I assume) does the new adapter then work fine to begin with? When you say it charges for a nano-second is it just the battery not charging up or will the laptop not power on at all?

The reason why I ask is the first question helps us to know if its the socket in the actual laptop that is faulty or the adapters you have been purchasing. Second question will tell us if the battery is at fault or again the adapter/port in the laptop.

Let's not think about changing your laptop just yet but yes you can transfer all your data to a new laptop with an external hard drive. But not just yet.
Anyway let us know what you can and welcome to Computer Hope  ;D

westom

Intermediate

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2009, 02:11:36 PM »
    Anyway, rather then forking out every few months for a replacement AC adapter, am I better off just getting a new laptop?

The typical response for your symptoms: nothing wrong with the adapters.  The failure is a connector soldered to the laptop printed circuit board.

Anyone with a meter could have proven that in seconds.  You tried to fix something (ie buy new adaptors) without first learning where the failure existed.

That internal connection can be fixed with a soldering iron.  But it requires computer disassembly.

Meanwhile, learn why this failure happened.  You now know where to be extremely careful to not bump.  Second lesson:  learn what has failed long before fixing anything.

Mulreay

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2009, 02:20:29 PM »
      The typical response for your symptoms: nothing wrong with the adapters.  The failure is a connector soldered to the laptop printed circuit board.
    Anyone with a meter could have proven that in seconds.  You tried to fix something (ie buy new adaptors) without first learning where the failure existed.That internal connection can be fixed with a soldering iron.  But it requires computer disassembly.Meanwhile, learn why this failure happened.  You now know where to be extremely careful to not bump.  Second lesson:  learn what has failed long before fixing anything.

Well I can almost guarantee she does not have a meter or a solder iron. And if she did where would that get her? Small moves first please not doomsday I know what is wrong answers. Lets be fair do you? Honestly do you? Assumtion is the mother of all **** ups.

westom

Intermediate

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2009, 02:50:47 PM »
      Well I can almost guarantee she does not have a meter or a solder iron.
      Of course not.  So the informed consumer goes to someone who does.  Even many if most computer techs do not know how to solder.  But that is the typical solution.

Meanwhile, with experience, you have used a soldering iron to solve this same problem on numerous HP laptops.  A problem I have seen more often on HP's and less often on Dells.

Meantime, I have significant experience - which you apparently do not.  One HP power adapter had one (and maybe a second) broken solder joint inside the adpator.   Because of how the adaptors are wired, a failed adaptor means no indicator light.  OP says her light is always on - which explains why she keeps replacing what were never defective power adaptors.  But again, the solution starts by finding someone with a meter and a soldering iron.  To first find the problem; then fix it.

« Last Edit: June 16, 2009, 03:04:14 PM by westom »