Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Trouble with Maxtor OneTouch (trying to use as internal 2nd HDD on desktop)  (Read 3378 times)

ViperOSU

Topic Starter

Okay as a preamble to this I'm going to try to spell out in as much detail as I can all the info I can, so I apologize
     for what may be a lengthy intro and I am not all that computer literate as most of what i know about this issue i learned in the last 2 days.......:

So I have a Maxtor OneTouch III 320GB external HDD, I use it to back up documents and aslo to hold my music and digital photos.  I have had this drive for about three years with no problems what so ever, until last night.  I Originally used this device on an HP Pavilion 7955 desktop running Windows XP with all the OEM it came with including an additional stick of 512MB of RAM i installed several years back.  I purchased a Dell Inspiron 1525 notebook that runs Vista about 1 year ago and had been using the Maxtor with no problems until recently.
       I Had password protected the Maxtor for about the past month and have noticed that what was supposed to be a "plug and play" device was not behaving as such,  at times I would turn it on and the drive would request the password right away, other times I would have to turn it off and back on, maybe 3 or 4 times to get it to register.  I researched the problem and found that there was an issue with Vista and having the password protection on, so I decided to hook up the drive to my XP powered desktop.

Now I believe there was an "accident" involving a dog where the Maxtor my have been bounced around some, so I was concerned that this could have something to do with it, and yesterday, before attempting to hook it back up to the desktop I had noticed the drive did not spin up like it seemed to do most every time i turned it on.
        So I plugged USB into the desktop, turned it on, and like usual I saw the Info bubble in XP that said my device could run faster on a USB 2.0 port but would still work as is.  However, the "auto-play" never started and when I looked in My Computer i could not see the drive.  I then proceeded to access the Maxtor via the supplied software, the software told me there was no Maxtor drive detected.  So I went into Disk Management and looked at the USB port I had plugged it into (and forgive me here, this is where my expertise lacks) The USB showed that it had a "USB Mass Storage Device" connected but it had a Yellow Exclamation mark, I looked into this and it said "(Code 10) This Device does not work" (not sure on the exact wording).  I Disconnected the Maxtor, tried it in another "spare" desktop we have, with the same results.
       Needless to say I was getting very frustrated and angry at this point in time, worrying that I had lost all of my music and pictures.  So now I began to think that maybe the HDD itself was physically damaged or incapable of spinning up properly, so I had the idea of trying to dismantle the Maxtor, remove the HDD and see if I could somehow plug it directly into the XP desktop and see if it would at least spin up.  \

Now I am fairly mechanically inclined and am able to take apart somewhat complex things and piece them back together, so I figured I was up to the challenge.  I found a YouTube video showing how to dismantle my particular drive and proceeded to do so, now I did not notice any overt damage to either the HDD itself or the pc card that controls it and supplies power via the plug and USB ports on the back. 
       I then researched how to connect a 2nd HDD to my desktop, now granted before last night i did not know what a jumper, IDE, Master/Slave, or any of these things were, but i was/am determined to figure this out if possible.  So I found in my desktop the IDE cable that connects to it's HDD (it's an 80GB) and saw that the plug says "Master" printed below it, now the same cable also has a 2nd inline plug that has "Slave" printed by it, there is also an unused power supply connector in there as well
      So I moved the Jumper on the Maxtor's HDD to "Slave" according to the diagram printed on it, plugged in the IDE cable, plugged in the power, prayed, then plugged the desktop back in and started it up.  So the desktop started up as normal, and much to my delight I could feel and hear the maxtor's HDD spinning up.  Windows stared normally and I thought maybe the drive would just show up, it was not in My computer, so I decided to call it a night as it was 10:30 and I get up at 4 for work.....

So here I sit asking for help in this forum before I try anything else.  So my real questions are:  Have I gone about this right now far and what can I do to make this work?
    Is it even possible for me to use the HDD as almost "plug and play" and still be able to get all my music etc off of this thing?  Obviously I cannot reformat the disk as that will erase all my info.

My ultimate goal here is to be able to once again access the drive then eventually move the info back onto a new and more reliable external drive, but not BEFORE also backing up all of this on DVD's as my lesson there is learned, but hopefully not at the cost of all my music and pictures.

Thanks for the Help and reading through the long post, I just thought the more info I provided the more helpful the answers may be!
    « Last Edit: July 08, 2009, 06:00:51 PM by ViperOSU »

Aegis

Expert

• Yes
      • Yes
      • Brian's Mess Of A Web Page
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Trouble with Maxtor OneTouch
    « Reply #1 on: July 03, 2009, 08:46:17 AM »
    Your post is well done, and we appreciate you taking the time to provide details.  My intiial thought is whether the jumper settings are correct -- not anything you did or didn't do -- but whether the instructions are correct.

Let's see if we can work through that part a bit more.

"For you, a thousand times over." - "The Kite Runner"

neelchauhan

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2009, 12:12:08 PM »
    Try a hard deive case with the hard drive from the maxtor onetouch.

Aegis

Expert

• Yes
      • Yes
      • Brian's Mess Of A Web Page
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #3 on: July 03, 2009, 12:34:37 PM »
    Try a hard deive case with the hard drive from the maxtor onetouch.

Do you mean, like it was, originally??

Not that my advice is much better...it seems like you performed the jumper settings correctly.

Are there cable select (CS) options on each hard drive?  I've always used master/slave, but cable select would have you set each jumper to CS, and then the boot drive would go at the end of the IDE cable, I think, with the "other" drive in the "middle."

"For you, a thousand times over." - "The Kite Runner"

ViperOSU

Topic Starter

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2009, 05:52:45 PM »
      Okay so works been busy and I have not had a chance to do more with this issue until today.  So in disk management (when i click properties on "my computer") I can see the Seagate HDD I removed from the Maxtor OneTouch, it even shows the serial # or name of the HDD so that seems hopeful, it also says that this drive is functioning properly. 
          However, when i click on "populate" it says Disk: Unreadable and shows no data or capacity info.
      Now my question is:  I DID password protect this drive while it was still installed in the Maxtor OneTouch, so is the password saved on the drive itself?  and if the case is now that i need to enter a password to use it, where would I do such a thing?

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
      • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • BC-Programming.com
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #5 on: July 09, 2009, 10:53:29 PM »

Now my question is:  I DID password protect this drive while it was still installed in the Maxtor OneTouch, so is the password saved on the drive itself?  and if the case is now that i need to enter a password to use it, where would I do such a thing?

What does Disk Management show?
      I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.