Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Tojan virus help needed, system restore cd does start at booting process.  (Read 2804 times)

alpha59

I was a victim to a Trojan virus. i have the windows defender pop up every 2 minutes telling me that i have a Trojan virus. i am using Windows XP, and don't have Win defender . anyways i have all my files backed up. now i am trying to perform a complete System Restore but the SR CD does not start at the beginning how it should. how can i kick start the SR CD, or any other possible solutions?

hot dog

What's an SR CD?

Power down the computer and turn it back on, immediately tap F8 untail Advanced Boot Options appear, then select "safe mode with networking"

Update your anti-virus definitions and run a scan, then download Malwarebytes(it's free), install, update, and run a full scan with it while in "safe mode with networking"

See if this rids the virus

edit: I think I know what you mean by restore CD, you mean your installation disk...If your CD is not starting, then you need to go into CMOS and set the drive boot order so that the CD drive is set to boot FIRST...Power down the comptuer, turn it back on and when you see the VERY FIRST picture on the screen, press either F1, F2, or delete key....This will allow you to enter CMOS...Find the section that allows you to set the boot order of your computers drives and set the CD drive to the TOP of the list of drives....This make make the computer boot from the CD drive first, before trying to boot off of any other bootable devices on the system..Before you exit CMOS, be sure you save the settings, or else it will not work.  But seriously, reinstalling is a little bit extreme at this point, try running the anitvirus programs first  :)

« Last Edit: June 18, 2009, 05:31:03 AM by blockHEAD »

harry 48

Egghead

• lay back , relax and chill out
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Dribbling Pensioner
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Familiar
i would say a big bit extreme , you can get good help here to remove anything , harry

potere scuro

Rookie
    If you really dont care and just want to get this out and start over the go to killdisk.com  there is a free version that will completly wipe everything out on your hard drive. Hope everything works out for ya.
    Death is a relief, An end of pain.