Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Acer 4420 Drivers gone haywire due to Motorola Phone tools (i think)  (Read 3924 times)

wingman554

Topic Starter

Well i googled my problem and found an exact match of my problem posted by someone else on this forum. The link to his post is: http://www.computerhope.com/forum/index.php?topic=69840.0

Anyways, my problem occurred today after i turned my laptop on from hibernation mode and the monitor was black and would not restore. I restarted laptop to find that I have no keyboard response, touchpad, or sound control. Battery level does not display. USB mouse works. I logged in with USB keyboard, and looked at the Device Manager section. It states that "Device Manager shows errors for Generic PnP monitor, both processors, ATI I/O Communications Processor LPC Controller, High Definition Audio Controller, and UMBus Root Bus Enumerator. All have the error "Windows cannot initialize the device driver for this hardware (Code 37). " I quoted older topic because its identical to what i found. I also had installed Motorola Phone Tools on the 6th of June and had updated it a few days ago. I dont believe i installed anything today either. Now i tried the oldest system restore point on the sys. restore list from the 11th of June but it did nothing. I tried to uninstall MPT but it says setup.exe is not working so it failed to uninstall, i also tried in safe mode, it did not work. I have restarted laptop multiple times to no avail. I really dont know what to do other than wipe the hard drive which i really dont want to do. Can anyone help me?

I also tried uninstalling the sound driver and reinstalling it, that did not help the sound either. Now i heard with windows vista laptops, you could erase everything except for the OS and drivers as if it were brand new from the manufacturer, how would i go about doing this as i do not have a OS cd?
    « Last Edit: June 18, 2009, 11:43:23 PM by wingman554 »

wingman554

Topic Starter

Re: Acer 4420 Drivers gone haywire due to Motorola Phone tools (i think)
      « Reply #1 on: June 20, 2009, 12:10:48 AM »
      Well i tried other things and the same things different ways to try and fix this, still could get it to work. So i gave up and just did alt+F10 on boot up and restored to factory defaults which was also tech supports only advice. So you can all stop scratching your heads at the problem. I would advise all of you to be wary of the Motorola Phone Tools program as it could have caused this problem...