Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Monitor turns itself off.. runs fine in Safe Mode  (Read 11621 times)

CPitalo

Topic Starter

Rookie

Monitor turns itself off.. runs fine in Safe Mode
    « on: June 18, 2009, 09:57:11 PM »
    Hi, there.

I've been experiencing this problem for several weeks now and it's quite annoying. After several minutes of operating normally, the 'hardware connection' sound clip is played and the monitor goes dark. The monitor acts as if the computer is in standby and it cannot be brought out of this.. even though the computer is still on and functioning normally.

The only way I can seem to reset this is through pulling the power cable from the tower. Even at that, the computer only resets after about five to six pullings-out of the cable. Once Windows loads, wash, rinse and repeat. I've only had luck running the computer in Safe Mode, as I am right now. I've rolled back my video card drivers, I've upgraded them, checked the cables.. nothing seems to help. My system specs are as posted:

Dell XPS710
    Intel Core2 CPU 6400 @ 2.13 Ghz
    2 GB RAM

Microsoft Windows XP Professional SP3
    Dual nVIDIA GeForce 7900 GS cards (driver 6.14.11.8618 - 06/10/09)
    DirectX 9.0c

hot dog

Re: Monitor turns itself off.. runs fine in Safe Mode
    « Reply #1 on: June 18, 2009, 10:38:41 PM »
    Once Windows loads, wash, rinse and repeat.

uh, did you remember to add fabric softener, and be sure to only tumble dry on low heat  ;D

Nice looking computer...It kind of looks like one of those portable living room heaters.. ::)

Anyway, could you describe the "hardware connection sound clip" a little better...not exactly sure what you mean...

Have you looked inside the computer lately?  Is there any dust that needs to be blown out?  It seems like you've tried everything.......If it is going into hibernation or standby, you might be able to prevent it...Check here:  START>control panel>Display>Screen Saver tab>Under "monitor power", click the "power" button, under "power schemes" tab & under "settings for presentation power scheme", make sure all those settings are set to "NEVER"  Be sure to click the "APPLY" button after changing the settings. Like I said, this will not correct the problem of not being able to come out of hibernation or standby, but it will prevent your PC from entering either one, period..

Most likely, there are settings for your video card as well....LOOK in Control Panel for your video card settings...

If all else fails, you could just reinstall your OS, because the monitor works in safe mode, so the problem is NOT with the monitor...The problem exists between the video card driver and Operation system

CPitalo

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2009, 07:57:13 AM »
      Thanks for the reply! Yeah, it does look like a space heater..  ;D

Anyway, the sound byte could best be described as 'badunk' for a connection and 'dadunk' for a disconnection. Plug something into USB.. the sound it makes is what I'm poorly describing.  :P

I've also adjusted the power settings but it's a no-go. The computer itself stays active, it's only the monitor that appears to go into hibernation.

hot dog

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2009, 07:59:35 AM »
      did you look in Control Panel for your graphics card settings?  There may be some settings that you can adjust in the graphics card properties, that is causing this

CPitalo

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2009, 08:02:56 AM »
        Yeah, I did. I reset to the factory settings, turned SLI off too.. neither worked. I haven't opened the tower in a while but then again, it rarely ever moves so I don't suspect anything to be loose. Definitely going to dust it later today though.

hot dog

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2009, 08:06:50 AM »
        Was your computer always like this or did this start recently?

I would just back up everything that you can and reinstall

CPitalo

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2009, 04:01:44 PM »
          It's fairly recent.. it's been a couple of weeks now.

hot dog

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2009, 04:42:09 PM »
          Boot into SAFE MODE and do a System Restore, before trying to reinstall

CPitalo

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2009, 05:13:27 PM »
            Yeah, will try that. I restored about a week ago to a week before that but the problem still occurred.

hot dog

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2009, 05:19:58 PM »
            go back to the point when you first installed, if you can!

CPitalo

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2009, 05:24:18 PM »
              System restore is a no-go. Monitor blacks out as soon as the reboot starts.. system carries on. I ended up having to pull the power cable and restart about four times until the monitor came back to life.

hot dog

« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2009, 05:31:07 PM »
              time to reinstall   :o

CPitalo

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2009, 07:03:44 PM »
                NOOOOOOO!  :-[

patio

• Genius
                • Maud' Dib
                  • Yes
                • Experience: Beginner
                « Reply #13 on: June 19, 2009, 08:21:05 PM »
                If it runs properly in safemode then it's a driver issue...
                " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

CPitalo

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2009, 08:34:40 PM »
                  That's what I was thinking, but with the rolling back, leaving be, and upgrading of the drivers, I can't seem to hammer it out.