Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Corporate XP Install vs OEM HP Bundle installation  (Read 4456 times)

DaveLembke

Topic Starter

Sage
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Corporate XP Install vs OEM HP Bundle installation
« on: June 18, 2009, 08:38:57 AM »
Is there a way to install a clean installation of XP Pro with a single HP OEM Bundle installation? Options for installation at the restore disks menu do not give option for a clean installation w/o bundled trials etc.

Trying to save someone from spending $140 for a clean copy of XP Pro when they have the HP OEM Bundle Restore disk. They want XP Pro without all the crap that HP likes to bundle install with the restore.

Is there a way that this can be done. I know for a fact that you cant use your clean Microsoft XP Pro CD to build the system and use the HP XP Pro key on the outside of the case, it will come up with invalid key, and if contacted in MS to activate it, it means that they end up with a duplicate of my OS running off my key vs theirs. So I wont do this...

Thinking that if the restore CD was used, and a clean installation could happen, the key would match and they would be good to go.

Not sure if there is an installation switch that can happen such as D:\setup -(something) in order to perform a clean corporate build of this system. Its stupid that HP doesnt offer an option at the installation menu to deselect the crap they bundle for a clean install.

This system also is not like other HPs I have seen that come with 2 disks the actual XP Pro and the Start with this HP CD in which you can bypass  the start with this HP CD and just boot directly from the XP Pro SP1 CD. This one is a single CD or DVD with it all on one disk.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Corporate XP Install vs OEM HP Bundle installation
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2009, 07:37:06 PM »
You can try pruning the i386 folder onto a bootable CD and run the setup from there...You will need the drivers CD to finish the task but i have had some success with this method in the past...
Buy extra Coffee..... ;)
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

hot dog

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2009, 11:00:31 PM »
You can try pruning the i386 folder onto a bootable CD and run the setup from there...You will need the drivers CD to finish the task but i have had some success with this method in the past...
Buy extra Coffee..... ;)

I was going to suggest something similar, like using the i386 folder and excluding all the trialware and junk that the OEM disk includes....If that's what you were talking about  :)

I've never tried to make my own disk using the i386 folder though, so I can't offer too much advice

2x3i5x

Expert
  • Experience: Familiar
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2009, 11:25:44 PM »
but then again, you could just manually uninstall said bundled trials off pc once the restoration is done (before you touch anything else) and it would be like clean installation. But yeah ...

quaxo

Guru
    • Yes
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2009, 01:45:35 AM »
but then again, you could just manually uninstall said bundled trials off pc once the restoration is done (before you touch anything else) and it would be like clean installation. But yeah ...

That's what I usually do since it sets up all of the drivers, hotkeys, etc. without having to download and install them all individually. It's easy to uninstall all the extra junk that comes with it.

hot dog

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2009, 03:44:54 AM »
that's what I do too..........but I think Dave was looking for a way to get around that

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2009, 06:18:06 AM »
There is an app out there called Decrapifier but i am reluctant to recommend it as i don't like recommending things i have not tested myself personally.

hot dog

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2009, 06:46:25 AM »
There is an app out there called Decrapifier

LOL

as in, get rid of the crap you don't need?

neelchauhan

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2009, 09:30:47 AM »
You can see http://www.pcworld.com/article/122487/answer_line_create_a_windows_cd_for_pcs_that_dont_have_one.html for information. You will need a CD-R drive or a network.

2x3i5x

Expert
  • Experience: Familiar
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2009, 11:31:18 AM »
Also, I am wondering if nlite can make the modified OEM cd's that got everything minus the trialware stuff so that you don't have them installed along with the windows?

See following link (I know it's for Thinkpad but would it work for other OEM's)?

http://kylefarnung.com/index.php/2007/02/22/thinkpad_t60_how_to_make_a_custom_oem_wi

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2009, 04:30:59 PM »
The Best Guide I've Seen...

Grab the Adult Beverage of your choice....it's a long read but well worth it.