Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Screen resolution is at 800x600 and color quality is 4-bit. RESOLVED  (Read 7603 times)

jdavij2003

Topic Starter

Starter

I have Microsoft Windows XP Professional, 2002 version, SP2
    76487-OEM-0067582-34890
    I have an AMD Athlon(tm) Processor  1.30 GHz, 256MB RAM (I know, horrible, my company will not upgrade)
    My "Display Adapter" is an NVIDIA RIVA TNT2 Model 64/Model 64 Pro.

When I left work last night I turned off my computer as usual.  I do not know if anyone turned it back on and used it after I left, no one is admitting to it if they did.  When I turned the computer on this morning, the resolution was down to 800x600 with 4-bit color quality.  I have no option to increase either of these settings.  Also, a baloon popped up in the lower right hand corner of the screen telling me that my color settings were at the lowest.  I clicked the balloon and I got a window asking if I wanted Windows to automatically fix the  color problem.  I said yes, and nothing changed.  I restarted the computer, still nothing.  I have not installed or removed any programs or hardware.  Can anyone help?
    « Last Edit: June 24, 2009, 09:03:45 AM by jdavij2003 »

hot dog

What does it look like in Device Manager? Are there any errors?

START>right click "my computer">properties>hardware tab>device manager

Do you see any yellow exclamation marks anywhere?

If not, you might try updating the display driver anyway?

Click on the "+" sign next to "display adapters", then right click on the item in the submenu, and then click "update" to see if Windows will update it......

jdavij2003

Topic Starter

Starter

Thank you for replying!

There are no exclamation points in the device manager. 
      I attempted to update my display adapter, but it stopped and I got this message:

"The wizard could not find a better match for your hardware than the software you currently have installed."

jerryheavyarms

Apprentice

• http://www.youtube.com/theoldpath
        • Bible insights by THE MOST SENSIBLE PREACHER OF OUR TIME.
      • Experience: Beginner
      What if you try to do system restore? As you have said, you don't know if someone had used your computer..

Or you could reinstall your videocard. In the device Manager, Right click on the Display Adapter icon then choose uninstall. Then restart Windows and it will ask again for the card's drivers..
      "Most complex problems do have a solution. It is only that we don't attempt to think. So let's apply: Dont just do something, sit there."
      --Kuya Daniel Razon

Everything in this world will remind us of God, even every drop of a leaf from its stem will remind us of His glory. -Bro.Eli Soriano

jdavij2003

Topic Starter

Starter

Thanks Jerry.
        Forgive my ignorance, but what is system restore, and how do I do it?

jerryheavyarms

Apprentice

Click Start > Accessories > System Tools > System Restore
        Read this for full instructions:
        http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/helpandsupport/learnmore/systemrestore.mspx

Good Luck!
        "Most complex problems do have a solution. It is only that we don't attempt to think. So let's apply: Dont just do something, sit there."
        --Kuya Daniel Razon

Everything in this world will remind us of God, even every drop of a leaf from its stem will remind us of His glory. -Bro.Eli Soriano

jdavij2003

Topic Starter

Starter

Jerry, you are my hero for the day!

I went to system restore, but it didn't find anything.  So I uninstalled the NVIDIA RIVA "display adapter" and viola!  I'm back in the 21st century!  Thanks everyone for all of your help, I will definitely recommend you and I'll come back myself if I run into any more problems!

Jess

jerryheavyarms

Apprentice

Re: Screen resolution is at 800x600 and color quality is 4-bit. RESOLVED
          « Reply #7 on: June 24, 2009, 09:09:17 AM »
          That's good news!
          All are welcome to this site. Please feel free to recommend the site to your friends and colleagues. Hope we could hear more from you! ;D
          Have fun1 ;D
          --Kuya Daniel Razon