Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Installing hardware in DOS 6.21  (Read 5858 times)

dbriii

Installing hardware in DOS 6.21
« on: May 17, 2004, 06:21:18 PM »
I'm a newbie when it comes to DOS.  I've configured a Dell Dimension T500 to dual-boot WinXP and Dos 6.21.  I would like to install a modem.  WinXP finds and installs it no problem.  But I'd also like to use it when I boot to DOS.  If I find the DOS drivers, what's the easiest way to get DOS to find and use the modem.  It's a USRobotics ISA 16 bit 56K modem.

Thanks,

dbriii

richard

Re: Installing hardware in DOS 6.21
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2004, 03:23:41 PM »
If you have time I would truly be interested in your advise on how to install DOS 6.22 with my XP. Please feel free to e-mail me or post another message.

johnwill

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2004, 03:50:35 PM »
You don't need any drivers, unless it's a WinModem.  What exact model of USR modem is it.

Computer_Commando

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2004, 07:15:02 PM »
...If I find the DOS drivers, what's the easiest way to get DOS to find and use the modem...

Don't expect this to be easy.  If it were, we would all still be using DOS.
You will have to create a config.sys file.  Read about it here:  http://www.computerhope.com/ac.htm

johnwill

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2004, 07:27:12 AM »
In plain DOS applications, the application configures the modems, there are no DOS drivers in CONFIG.SYS, or anywhere else.

MalikTous

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2004, 07:00:49 PM »
Bosh. There are memory and CDROM and mouse drivers in CONFIG.SYS in most DOS machines... Could also be tablet and soundcard drivers.

Modems are usually handled by the terminal program (ProComm, Offline Express, Telix, Omen) used in DOS, not by a CONFIG.SYS driver. But you may need to use MODE in AUTOEXEC.BAT to set up the RS232 port  characteristics for the modem's COM port.

Thus, a machine with a USR Courier V.Everything ISA modem would access it through the USR V90/V92 init string in Telix, not by any direct-to-DOS driver. The terminal program is responsible for establishing a rudimentary interface for downloading and uploading files and for accessing the client PC from the server if they aren't peers.

johnwill

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2004, 07:58:15 AM »
Bosh. There are memory and CDROM and mouse drivers in CONFIG.SYS in most DOS machines... Could also be tablet and soundcard drivers.

If you check the topic, you'll see we're talking specifically about modems, please tell me about all the modem specific drivers you see in CONFIG.SYS or AUTOEXEC.BAT?  ::)

Modems are usually handled by the terminal program (ProComm, Offline Express, Telix, Omen) used in DOS, not by a CONFIG.SYS driver. But you may need to use MODE in AUTOEXEC.BAT to set up the RS232 port  characteristics for the modem's COM port.

Well, half of this is correct, the half I already mentioned.   ::)  Modems are handled by the communications program, but you don't need the mode command except for stuff like redirecting your LPT to the COM ports.  Of the comm applications you mention, I've used all of them except Offline Express, never needed a driver for the startup files for any of them.