Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: CANNOT REMOVE A FOLDER OFF MY DESKTOP  (Read 5221 times)

thorisapug

Topic Starter

CANNOT REMOVE A FOLDER OFF MY DESKTOP
    « on: June 19, 2009, 11:23:43 PM »
    I'm not sure if this is where I am supposed to post this but I'm going insane trying to figure out what this means exactly.

[I USE WINDOWS VISTA AND] I KEEP GETTING THIS MESSAGE WHEN I ATTEMPT TO DELETE A PARTICULAR EMPTY FOLDER:

" This is no longer located in C:/users/myname/desktop. Verify the location and try again"

First of all, the problem I have is that I have an empty, unnamed folder that is on my desktop. I have done everything I can think of to try and remove this folder. I've tried everything from putting it in the recycle bin to using safe mode and trying to remove it then. I tried verifying the location but to no avail. I even tried deleting it thru command prompt, but no luck. I even looked in my registry. NOTHING IS WORKING.

I had previously downloaded a program (Camtasia). After I downloaded it, I used it and it was fine. It started when I was busy making a tutorial--the program crashed once when I was saving a file and now I cannot get rid of the file/folder off my desktop. It just keeps giving me this message, " This is no longer located in C:/users/myname/desktop. Verify the location and try again"

WHAT DOES THIS MEAN AND HOW CAN I REMOVE THIS FILE/FOLDER OFF MY DESKTOP???

PLEASE HELP ME!

hot dog

2x3i5x

Expert
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Familiar
    Re: CANNOT REMOVE A FOLDER OFF MY DESKTOP
    « Reply #2 on: June 20, 2009, 12:10:53 AM »
    Be careful with registry cleaning, I wouldn't touch registry if it is not giving problems, as deleting wrong registry key can render previously usable computer unusable.

" This is no longer located in C:/users/myname/desktop. Verify the location and try again" --> you have already deleted the folder off the desktop, but you just have to refresh desktop to see the change.

Right click an empty space on desktop ... and you see the menu as shown in following screenshot:

Now, click refresh and see if the empty folder goes away. (again, sometimes you just need to refresh desktop for that folder you delete to actually not show up on desktop as should be. I've had that happen few times for me)

hot dog

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2009, 12:29:11 AM »
    Interesting, I've never noticed the "refresh" button before   :P

thorisapug

Topic Starter

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2009, 01:00:28 AM »
      Be careful with registry cleaning, I wouldn't touch registry if it is not giving problems, as deleting wrong registry key can render previously usable computer unusable.

" This is no longer located in C:/users/myname/desktop. Verify the location and try again" --> you have already deleted the folder off the desktop, but you just have to refresh desktop to see the change.

Right click an empty space on desktop ... and you see the menu as shown in following screenshot:

Now, click refresh and see if the empty folder goes away. (again, sometimes you just need to refresh desktop for that folder you delete to actually not show up on desktop as should be. I've had that happen few times for me)

Thank you for the suggestion 2x3i5, I really appreciate it! Unfortunately I tried to refresh it and it is still on my desktop. I am truly stumped at this situation.
      Are there any other suggestions you might have that I could try???

@blockHEAD: Thanks for the link! I would like to see if there is any other way that can be less risky in losing important parts/functions of my computer before doing any registry cleaning, but I will keep an open mind to the option.

THANKS AGAIN FOR ANY HELP! :)

hot dog

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2009, 01:11:27 AM »
      There's not a lot of risk using that program, although some would disagree...I use it all the time....If you are afraid of it corrupting your system, create a restore point manually before you use it and if something goes wrong, just roll back to the restore point

The program is relatively simple to use...You can use it to back up and restore your registry as well...

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
        • Me
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #6 on: June 20, 2009, 06:16:55 AM »
      Boot off a live Linux CD; find the file; delete.  Simple.  :-)  Instructions can be given if needed.
      Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos

Broni

Mastermind
      • Kraków my love :)
        • Computer Help Forum
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #7 on: June 20, 2009, 10:37:14 AM »
      What's the folder name?
      What options do you have, when you right click on it?