Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Hard Disk Automatic Re-assign  (Read 2676 times)

AzrinA

Hard Disk Automatic Re-assign
« on: May 23, 2005, 11:49:48 PM »
I have 2 hard disks installed (Disk 1 and 2). Disk 1 contains operating system information (Drive C) while Disk 2 contain data (partitioned to E, F, G and H). Of course the CD-ROM is labelled drive D.

The problem surfaced after I did a clean install of Drive C. The computer has re-assigned the hard disk and now I have Drive D (previously E), E (previously F), F (previously G) and G (previously H). The CD-ROM has been re-label to H.

My previous E drive has been cleared of the data and I would like to have those data recovered. Is that possible?

Thank you.

AzrinA

Re: Hard Disk Automatic Re-assign
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2005, 04:27:59 AM »
Thanks Merlin_2. I downloaded the freeware but still couldn't recover what have been missing. Do I need to disable the second drive temporarily, have the system recognised only the C and D drive, then reattached the second hard drive and try to recover the files again? Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

uisquebeathus

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2005, 05:25:06 AM »
what is your operating system?
if it is win2000 or xp you can re asign the lable letters back to your first setup, firstly changing one partition or your cd drive to an extra letter "s" for example then reset the other partition letters.
However it could be that the new installation has used the "c" drive which was actually your old "e" drive and reformated all your old data out, win xp and win 2000 can be set during the installation process to install on any drive and this reasigns the main "c" to the drive where the operating system is actualy installed

merlin_2

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2005, 06:26:38 PM »
the clean install  you did you chose over write files.....or save them?? and info?>>>http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=309000

AzrinA

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2005, 04:05:12 AM »
...However it could be that the new installation has used the "c" drive which was actually your old "e" drive and reformated all your old data out, win xp and win 2000 can be set during the installation process to install on any drive and this reasigns the main "c" to the drive where the operating system is actualy installed

If that's the case..would it mean content of drive E forever lost? Oh my... :'( my wedding pictures are on it. Help, please  

AzrinA

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2005, 04:26:09 AM »
the clean install  you did you chose over write files.....or save them?? and info?>>>http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=309000

It was write, totally. If only I disabled the second disk temporarily and clean installed the Windows, then problem like this probably won't crop up.

And just one edited information merlin_2, the formatted C drive actually was also being partitioned accidentally during the clean install. So, C actually partitioned to D drive as well.

Along with E,F,G and H(CD-Rom). Look like missing E is really missing, not re-assign as I previously suspected. So I'm looking at C,D (Fixed Drive 1) and E,F and G(Fixed Drive 2). H is the CD-ROM drive. Any help from this corrected information?

Thanks.

merlin_2

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2005, 11:20:59 AM »

AzrinA

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2005, 11:13:53 PM »
 :) :) :) :)

Thanks Merlin_2. Finally..after trying hard to understand all those Windows technical wording, and the amount of time spent, I could retrieve all the data and information that was earlier lost. And by simply following your advice.  ;D ;D

Thanks again for the help.