Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: DVD-ROM Drive Will Not Read Any Discs  (Read 5065 times)

cbm

Topic Starter

DVD-ROM Drive Will Not Read Any Discs
    « on: June 24, 2009, 12:37:53 AM »
    After using my MacBook for over a year now, I decided to get back onto my PC for the first time after having a new motherboard and hard drive placed in it.  I had been playing Oblivion on my 360 and wanted to play it on my PC, so I went and bought it.  Before my motherboard crashed, I had an Nvidia GEForce 6800 video card in my PC.  I reinstalled the card and it's drives and attempted to install Oblivion.

The problem, however, is that my DVD-ROM drive will not read the game disc.  I put in several other discs as well, and as predicted, it will not read any of them either.  My CD-RW drive will read all the discs except for Oblivion.  My PC is an Emachine T3990.  Not really a gaming computer, I know, but it meets the requirements for Oblivion since I reinstalled the Nvidia card.  I have uninstalled and reinstalled the DVD-ROM drive, have attepted to update it and have looked in several places for some help on fixing this problem.

Your help will be greatly apprecited.  Thank you.

Mulreay

Re: DVD-ROM Drive Will Not Read Any Discs
    « Reply #1 on: June 24, 2009, 05:07:41 AM »
    The problem, however, is that my DVD-ROM drive will not read the game disc.  I put in several other discs as well, and as predicted, it will not read any of them either.  My CD-RW drive will read all the discs except for Oblivion.

If you have seperate CD/DVD drives and it will not work on the DVD drive it sounds like you have burnt out the laser, only because no other discs are working.
    The one thing I'm not sure about is that your CD drive will not read Oblivion only. I know it's a goofy question but how is the condition of the disc?

P.s welcome to Computer Hope  ;)

Quantos

Guru
    • Veni, Vidi, Vici
      • Yes
      • Yes
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Guru
    « Reply #2 on: June 24, 2009, 05:33:40 AM »
    Have you checked to make sure that the cable is seated correctly to the drive and the controller?
    Evil is an exact science.

cbm

Topic Starter

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2009, 10:23:53 AM »
      Yes, all the wires are plugged in and the disc is brand new, so it's in perfect condition.  I just installed Oblivion on my father's computer and it runs on his.  I guess I'll just have to play it on there.  But keep the suggestions coming.

Quantos

Guru
      • Veni, Vidi, Vici
        • Yes
        • Yes
      • Experience: Guru
      « Reply #4 on: June 24, 2009, 12:08:43 PM »
      I'm actually referring to the cables that connect the optical drive to the controller on the mother board :)
      Evil is an exact science.

Broni

Mastermind
      • Kraków my love :)
        • Computer Help Forum
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #5 on: June 24, 2009, 03:34:38 PM »
      Unless, you installed DVD drive, according to: http://emachines.com/support/product_support.html?cat=Desktops&subcat=T%20Series&model=T3990, you have only:
      48x CD-RW (48 × 32 x 48)
      CD drive won't read DVDs.