Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Get dsl or cable BB before calling me!  (Read 2791 times)

jonb33

Topic Starter

Get dsl or cable BB before calling me!
    « on: June 24, 2009, 09:14:11 AM »
    As resident(free) computer expert, I'm sure you have been asked for help from less tech-savvy relatives and friends.  What do you tell people with 56k dialup, who will not spend the money for dsl or cable broadband?  I hate to do it, but I say "sorry, I don't help people without dsl or cable broadband.  Modern pc and mac systems CANNOT be updated properly at 56k. The hours-long downloads usually fail midstream, or users shutdown midstream.  Call me back when you have dsl or cable, or let me help you get it." Why waste my time when their system requires hours-long update downloads before a fix is possible?  And don't tell me to bring their box home and update it on my broadband connection.  This is a poor shorterm solution. I have told too many of these people "don't shut down your computer while it is updating."  I'm sure they shutdown anyway, not realizing it is updating or wanting to "save electricity".  Sorry if this is not the appropriate forum.  It has most activity.

jerryheavyarms

Apprentice

• http://www.youtube.com/theoldpath
      • Bible insights by THE MOST SENSIBLE PREACHER OF OUR TIME.
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Get dsl or cable BB before calling me!
    « Reply #1 on: June 24, 2009, 09:25:34 AM »
    Why not just charged them if they want you to take home their computer to be updated? I think its just reasonable. Or maybe you could burn them an installer disk with all the upgrades that their computer needs..

"Most complex problems do have a solution. It is only that we don't attempt to think. So let's apply: Dont just do something, sit there."
    --Kuya Daniel Razon

Everything in this world will remind us of God, even every drop of a leaf from its stem will remind us of His glory. -Bro.Eli Soriano

jonb33

Topic Starter

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2009, 09:49:59 AM »
      I just help as a favor and never charge.  Do you realize how much trouble that is to diagnose problem, figure what updates they need and  burn relevant updates on a cd?  Automatic updates is the only practical way unless you live in the same house.  Only automatic updates knows what the critical updates are.

soybean

Genius
      • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #3 on: June 24, 2009, 10:04:28 AM »
      I say "sorry, I don't help people without dsl or cable broadband.  Modern pc and mac systems CANNOT be updated properly at 56k. The hours-long downloads usually fail midstream, or users shutdown midstream.  Call me back when you have dsl or cable, or let me help you get it."
      I'm inclined to agree with you, unless they actually have no broadband options in their area, which is still the case in some rural areas.  I went through this scenario with my mother.  She was on dialup from Dec. 1999, when she first started using a computer, until about 6 months ago when I persuaded her to get DSL.  Actually, for the first 6 years or so, dialup was her only option; neither DSL or Cable were available in the rural area where she lived.  Then, she moved to a small town about 6 miles from her previous residence.  I did some research and found that she could get DSL but would have to switch telephone service providers, which I persuaded her to do.  She subsribed to the basic DSL service which is 768 Kbps download, but that's still about 15 times faster than dialup and the cost is about the same as her former dialup service.

Aegis

Expert

• Yes
        • Yes
        • Brian's Mess Of A Web Page
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #4 on: June 24, 2009, 10:05:17 AM »
      Maybe these people don't want to pay, or can't afford to pay the ABSOLUTELY RIDICULOUS rates the rest of us pay for the dubious privilege of streaming video, audio, and (agreed) faster download of large file content.

Even if money is not an issue for them, it's their choice of how to spend it.  It is also your choice to help whom you will.

For the price of a portable drive, you could be a local hero for these folks.

And don't tell me to bring their box home and update it on my broadband connection.  This is a poor shorterm solution

Why?

She subsribed to the basic DSL service which is 768 Kbps download, but that's still about 15 times faster than dialup and the cost is about the same as her former dialup service.

OK, that's a good argument and reason.

"For you, a thousand times over." - "The Kite Runner"

jerryheavyarms

Apprentice

• http://www.youtube.com/theoldpath
        • Bible insights by THE MOST SENSIBLE PREACHER OF OUR TIME.
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #5 on: June 24, 2009, 10:39:28 AM »
      I just help as a favor and never charge.
      Yep, I see your point. But if its a relative or a friend, for me, its not a big deal.

Do you realize how much trouble that is to diagnose problem, figure what updates...

In fact, I do.
      Well, just tell them that in the long run it will be beneficial for them. Just as whatt soybean did, try to do some research for them with regards to rates of DSL providers in their place.
      "Most complex problems do have a solution. It is only that we don't attempt to think. So let's apply: Dont just do something, sit there."
      --Kuya Daniel Razon

Everything in this world will remind us of God, even every drop of a leaf from its stem will remind us of His glory. -Bro.Eli Soriano