Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Help with a um175vw  (Read 6077 times)

two-dogs

Topic Starter

Intermediate

Help with a um175vw
    « on: July 01, 2009, 05:50:16 AM »
    Ok here goes I have a um175vw usb modem that I got from verizon and it has a shot adaptor for the antenna that is on the side of it.  I need to know how I can hook up my hawking 14db directional antenna, to the short antenna adaptor that comes with the card.  I called the manufacture of that adaptor and they told me that it has an FME male adaptor, my problem is that I can't find the female for it.  Does anybody know where I can get the female end.  One more thing is there a hook up that I could use with that antenna that I bought that would not have to go in to the usb plug in card (um175vw), any help would be appreciated.........thanks.......two-dogs           

Quantos

Guru
    • Veni, Vidi, Vici
      • Yes
      • Yes
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: Help with a um175vw
    « Reply #1 on: July 01, 2009, 08:44:52 AM »
    my problem is that I can't find the female for it.   

If I understand correctly you are looking for the female FME connection on the um175? 
    Evil is an exact science.

two-dogs

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2009, 04:58:20 PM »
      Hi Quantos my friend you just got me going with my internet sharing and it is working great, thanks again on that.  Ok now my problem is I have a hawkings directional antenna and I am having problems finding a certain fitting.  I called the manufacture of the little antenna cable, and they told me that the end I need is a FME female.  I have gone to radio shack and best buy thinking this would be a quick fix, not even.  It says in the directions on the antenna that you hook one end to the router and then continue the setup, sounds simple enough,, but my router is a 310n Linksys and it has an internal antenna.  So I have to have that short cable with the FME male end.  Now I need to find the mat4 for that fitting......can you point me in the right direction or give ma a work around.........thanks.....two-dogs       

Quantos

Guru
      • Veni, Vidi, Vici
        • Yes
        • Yes
      « Reply #3 on: July 01, 2009, 07:05:41 PM »
      I'll tell you what I do when I need a specialty cable.  I contact a local Audio/Visual rental place.  I'm not sure where you live, but in Edmonton AB I usually contact a company called FM.  They provide rental gear for bands and large shows.  They know the sweet spots for getting cables made.  If you would like, PM me your location, or just reply in the thread.  I'll source out a manufacturer for you.  The prices aren't usually too bad, you pay for the connectors, the cable, and about 10 minutes time to have the connectors put on.

<edit>  Back to the football game.  </edit>

two-dogs

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2009, 03:31:40 PM »
        Quantos I found the cable and have ordered it.  It has a fme female and a male n on the other.  Thanks for the help........two-dogs   

Quantos

Guru
        • Veni, Vidi, Vici
          • Yes
          • Yes
        « Reply #5 on: July 20, 2009, 02:50:27 PM »
        Sorry that it took me so long to get back, I was working out of town and there was no internet.  I wound up leaving my laptop at home.  Let me know how that works out for you.

two-dogs

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2009, 03:35:02 PM »
          Well Quantos I have a tight connection now but still the signal is not as strong as I want.  I have on the roof a hawkings antenna but I am not sure if that is the best way to go.  I am about 6 miles from the tower and my signal goes back and forth from national access to broadband.  My downloads speeds are not that great .40 in speedtest.net.  and it times out on the forth hop when I do a tracert.  I am also hooked up  to a netgear mbr624gu and with that my signal is just a little bit better.  You have any suggestions for me and something that might work better, oh and I am getting a signal trough trees about 2 miles away.  I am sure in the fall when the leaves fall and I can see the tower it will get better.  Hope things went well for you when you were out of town................later..........two-dogs   

Quantos

Guru
          • Veni, Vidi, Vici
            • Yes
            • Yes
          « Reply #7 on: July 20, 2009, 04:04:51 PM »
          Well Quantos I have a tight connection now but still the signal is not as strong as I want.  I have on the roof a hawkings antenna but I am not sure if that is the best way to go.  I am about 6 miles from the tower and my signal goes back and forth from national access to broadband.  My downloads speeds are not that great .40 in speedtest.net.  and it times out on the forth hop when I do a tracert.  I am also hooked up  to a netgear mbr624gu and with that my signal is just a little bit better.  You have any suggestions for me and something that might work better, oh and I am getting a signal trough trees about 2 miles away.  I am sure in the fall when the leaves fall and I can see the tower it will get better.  Hope things went well for you when you were out of town................later..........two-dogs   

Have you tried getting your supplier to set up an access point for you?  Quite often they can troubleshoot and replace an antenna with a better solution.

two-dogs

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2009, 04:17:13 PM »
            Quantos do you mean by supplier "verizon" if so there ain't no way they can't or wont  do something like that all they will do is get you on line and try and trouble shot.  And sorry Quantos I don't have a clue how to setup a access point............two-dogs

Quantos

Guru
            • Veni, Vidi, Vici
              • Yes
              • Yes
            « Reply #9 on: July 20, 2009, 04:19:23 PM »
            The access point is up to the supplier, it's not something that you can do on your own.

I never fail to lose patience with a supplier that fails to meet the needs/expectations of the clients.

two-dogs

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2009, 04:26:42 PM »
              So If I call verizon I should ask them to setup an access point?   

Quantos

Guru
              • Veni, Vidi, Vici
                • Yes
                • Yes
              « Reply #11 on: July 20, 2009, 04:31:14 PM »
              If they are capable of that then it should quadruple your throughput, at the least.  It may cost a few dollars to get set up, but find that out in advance.