Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: vista and winxp on separate drives  (Read 2985 times)

jacksctt

vista and winxp on separate drives
« on: July 02, 2009, 05:10:37 AM »
hello

i installed win xp on one drive and then i stalled vista on the other,i installed each os without the other drive connected,they both are sata drives,when i boot up i dont get the option to choose which os,it defaults to win xp on bootup,any idea's on what i need to do to correct this to get the option
                                                            thanx

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: vista and winxp on separate drives
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2009, 06:10:37 AM »
When installed this way you need to enter Setup at boot time and choose which HD you want to boot...
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

killerb255

Adviser
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: vista and winxp on separate drives
    « Reply #2 on: July 08, 2009, 11:53:48 AM »
    You should have left both drives connected to make life easier for you.

Normally, you would install XP first on the primary drive (or partition), then install Vista on the secondary drive (or partition).  At that point, Vista will do all the work for you to modify BCD to give you a menu to boot from either OS.

Now you have to modify BCD to see your Windows XP partition and boot from it.  At this point, BCD is unaware that XP even exists...

One of these might be able to help you out, since BCD is quite a bit more complicated than XP's tried-and-true NTLDR/NTDETECT.COM/BOOT.INI combo:

http://neosmart.net/dl.php?id=1
    http://www.vistabootpro.org/

EasyBCD is free, but Vistabootpro is not.
    Quote from: talontromper
    Part of the problem is most people don't generally deal with computer problems. So for most they think that close enough is good enough.