Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: laptop powers on, no hdd light, does not load windows, dark screen - dead.  (Read 26487 times)

Galen

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

I have a Toshiba Satelite with intel processor, 1.5gig memory and a 250 G hdd...about 2.5 years old.

When I push the on button, the power light comes on, but that is it....does not access the hd, the hd inidcator light does not repsond at all when the on button is pressed....jsut sits there with a black screen.

I have searched this forum and googled and all but have not found this particular problem listed or a fix.

THe last week before this total failure, I had a number of times the computer would be fine and suddenly a blue screen would flash and the computer would reboot before I could read it. The last 2 times, if I moved the computer physically, picked it up from the floor or desk it would also go blue screen and reboot.

Any suggestions welcome.

Thanks,

Galen

paudashlake

Hopeful

• Experience: Experienced
      It sounds to me that your hdd is loose.  Locate it on the computer(usually on the side somewhere or the bottom somewhere)  There should be a screw holding it in.  heck if that is there.  Even if it it, try to give it a little push to make sure it is connected.  If it still does not turn on when you are pushing the hdd, it may mean you have a bad drive.  Have you dropped your laptop somewhere?  Have you set it on a bed so the fans could not circulate air so it overheated and died?
      Hinkle Finkle Dinkle Doo.  AMEN!! 

Quantos

Guru
      • Veni, Vidi, Vici
        • Yes
        • Yes
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Guru
      When I push the on button, the power light comes on, but that is it.

Will the laptop show you POST information, or the Toshiba logo?
      Evil is an exact science.

Quantos

Guru
      • Veni, Vidi, Vici
        • Yes
        • Yes
      It sounds to me that your hdd is loose. 

If that was the case the error would be different.

quaxo

Guru
        • Yes
      If that was the case the error would be different.

Yeah, even with a faulty/disconnected hard drive, the laptop should still POST and indicate that there is no boot device.

Some other things to check:

Is the screen dark as in lit, but blank (meaning the backlight comes on, but the screen remains blank) when you turn it on? Or does there appear to be no change in the screen at all (no backlight, etc.)?

Does it beep when you turn it on?

Because of the blue screen errors coming from physical contact, it makes me think that something may be shorting out.

Galen

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

Hi - thanks all for the suggestions....

I can't locate or get access to check the hd....I have a post on a toshiba forum about this awaiting reply. I tried to unscrew the memory cover and a few other places that have screws to remove....but even loosening the screws, I could not get the cover to open....it is still screwed down it seems but can't find another screw to loosen.

When I turn computer on, the blue indicator for the on-button comes on....then nothing...no text,error messages, logos....nada....only dark screen....not backlit......hd light never indicates.

Laptop is a toshiba satellite A105-4234

Galen

quaxo

Guru
          • Yes
        not backlit

Even with nearly any hardware failure, the backlight should come on. Not turning on usually indicates a serious problem with the screen (which usually requires it to be replaced) or a severe power issue. In either case, it's not really user serviceable.

Galen

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

It seems since the screen is not backlit and there is no indication from the hd light indicator it may be some sort of power issue....tho it does spin the cd/dvd if there is a disk in it.

I have read something about being able to remove the hd and hook it to some sort of device that will allow another computer to read it like an external drive....if I can find out how to remove the hd...this might allow me to salvage some stuff not backed-up.

Does anyone know what device for the hd I am asking about?

Thanks a lot to all those who have been responding.

Galen

Quantos

Guru
          • Veni, Vidi, Vici
            • Yes
            • Yes
          Yes, it's an external enclosure for a hard disk.  If you buy one make sure that you get the correct type.  A SATA drive won't work in a EIDE enclosure and vice versa.

Are you going to attempt to remove the disk yourself?

Galen

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

I am if I can find out how to do so...but no luck so far...posted on Toshibas user forum bt got no response.

Galen

Quantos

Guru
            • Veni, Vidi, Vici
              • Yes
              • Yes
            Post the model number and classification, I can probably locate one for you.

<edit>  Manual for disassembly I mean.  I was a little too quick on the 'Post' button there.  </edit>

Galen

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

Hi Quantos - thanks for teh offer....

Laptop is a toshiba satellite A105-4234 - 2.5 years old

I am not sure what classifications means.

Galen

quaxo

Guru
                • Yes
              How to remove the hard drive is on this page:
              http://www.irisvista.com/tech/laptops/Toshiba-Satellite-A105/remove-motherboard-1.htm
              Follow steps 1-4. On step 2, it won't be necessary to remove the Wi-Fi, modem, and memory cover. Only the hard drive cover needs removed.

You need a 2.5" SATA enclosure:
              http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010010092+1054107131&QksAutoSuggestion=&Configurator=&Subcategory=92&description=&Ntk=&CFG=&SpeTabStoreType=&srchInDesc=

Take your pick (if you want to purchase it online). Most computer shops will have these as well, if you'd rather actually go and buy one.

Galen

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

Hi Quaxo....wow...that was spot on....the toshiba site....thanks so much for all your effort and support...time to get to work...

Galen

quaxo

Guru
                  • Yes
                Sure thing. If you have any questions in the process, even if they seem like stupid questions, feel free to ask.

The whole process is actually easier than it looks. Just use care in pulling the drive out. Should slip right into whatever enclosure you get, then just plug that into a USB port on another system. If it's Windows XP or Vista, you shouldn't need to install any additional drivers or anything, it should just recognize the enclosure and read from it.