Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Toshiba e800  (Read 3468 times)

truenorth

Topic Starter

Guru

Toshiba e800
    « on: June 28, 2009, 10:34:25 AM »
    My latest toy is the Toshiba e800 pocket pc with windows mobile and built in wifi. I have a couple of questions re this device. I do not have the "USB cradle". I do have the A/C charger converter. I would dearly love to be able to connect an external keyboard to it. Preferably a flexible one. However the only external connection slot is a 40 pin usb one (intended to connect to the cradle). Does anyone know of a 40 pin external keyboard? Much research on my part has not found one.Also does anyone know of a USB cable that will have a 40 pin  on one end and a normal USB 2.0 on the other end so as to enable the e800 to connect to a computer's usb port?truenorth
    P.S. I also wonder if this device is even capable of utilizing an external keyboard through the available 40 pin port?

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Toshiba e800
    « Reply #1 on: June 28, 2009, 01:03:58 PM »
    I believe that device has bluetooth which would be another option...

A few links to start:

Here

And Here...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

truenorth

Topic Starter

Guru

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2009, 01:54:18 PM »
      Patio,Thank you for the links.I'll check them out. I am not certain but it seems to me as i was researching the device i believe that the "bluetooth" if it is part of it is an option (which i don't think is part of my unit).However when i figure out how to do it I'll certainly check on that. I do know it does have "infrared" connectability built in but i would imagine i need to investigate what i can find to install at the computer end as a transmiter/receiver.truenorth

truenorth

Topic Starter

Guru

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2009, 01:12:55 PM »
        Update: More research has determined the following.
        1.Units sold in the U.S.A. ( my unit) come with built in WIFI all the rest of the world gets "bluetooth".
        2.Apparently the "cradle" which i don't have and another device the "presentation pack" (an option which i also don't have) allow for the connection of a multitude of external devices (keyboard included) via USB.
        3. So far an exhaustive search has not found either unit available anywhere. So if anyone has any leads on where either might be located I'll be very gratefull. truenorth

Quantos

Guru
        • Veni, Vidi, Vici
          • Yes
          • Yes
        • Computer: Specs
        • Experience: Guru
        « Reply #4 on: June 29, 2009, 01:23:50 PM »
        Why not buy a USB WiFi dongle?  Plug the dongle into a USB port and use the computers keyboard?

<edit>  Or really splurge and get a WiFi keyboard.  </edit>
        Evil is an exact science.

truenorth

Topic Starter

Guru

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2009, 03:18:20 PM »
          Quantos, A little confused (me)--where is this "USB WIFI dongle" getting plugged into? If it is to be plugged into the e800 the only USB access to it is via the 40 pin port on the bottom of the Toshiba. That is a non standard (traditional ) USB port and is intended to allow connection of the cradle or the presentation pack. If it is plugged into another computer (desktop or laptop) how does that create access to a keyboard? Is there something i am missing here (that is certainly a possibility)?truenorth
          P.S. Thank's for the input.

Quantos

Guru
          • Veni, Vidi, Vici
            • Yes
            • Yes
          • Computer: Specs
          • Experience: Guru
          « Reply #6 on: June 29, 2009, 03:21:38 PM »
          <edit>  Or really splurge and get a WiFi keyboard.  </edit>
          Evil is an exact science.