Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: I installed xp home on top of xp professional - now having some problems  (Read 3570 times)

webbeccjo

Topic Starter

Starter

i didn't really know how to title this post! lol!
    I'm worried that my questions will sound ridiculous, since I have limited computer knowledge, so please bear with me!

I have a dell dimension 8400  with xp professional

Today,I tried to boot up the computer and got an error that said *unmountable_boot_volume

I tried pushing f-12 and running a hard drive diagnostic, but it failed
    (it said fail-return code 7)
    I tried clicking the one that said "boot to utility partition, but it said "missing loader"

I lost the windows xp professional disc that came with the computer (this is an old comp) but I did find a windows xp home edition disc that came with one of our other computers, so I tried booting from that and ended up installing it over top of the xp professional.

It worked...I can see my old files on the c drive under program files, but I can't access them.
    Is there any way to access them or even delete them so I can reinstall what I want/need? I tried using the add/remove programs, but none of the old files show up on it.

hot dog

boy, you've got quite a mess on your hands  ;)

Since you got the XP installation disk from another computer that already used it, in which the license key has already been used, the copy of XP that you installed is not legal.

Even if you can get your files off the hard drive, you won't be able to continue using Windows XP Home edition........

AT this point I would suggest taking the hard drive out of your computer and adding it as a slave drive to another computer.......once the drive is added, you can probably get the files that you need, off the drive....

AS far as putting another operating system back on your computer, I would first find a new economical hard drive, since the one you currently have is failing, and then call Microsoft, give them the License Key for the Version of XP Professional, and see if they will send you another copy of the XP professional CD

webbeccjo

Topic Starter

Starter

boy, you've got quite a mess on your hands  ;)

Since you got the XP installation disk from another computer that already used it, in which the license key has already been used, the copy of XP that you installed is not legal.

Oh no! I didn't mean to do anything inappropriate! My dh just reminded me that the xp home was a copy we had purchased for our old computer...it had originally come with windows ME. That comps no longer working,so I hope its ok to have used that!
       But I'll definitely see if Dell can send me a replacement copy of xp home.
      I guess it looks like I'll have to get a new hard drive. Are they easy to install for a newbie or is that something I should probably get help with?
      « Last Edit: June 29, 2009, 04:43:04 PM by webbeccjo »

hot dog

But I'll definitely see if Dell can send me a replacement copy of xp home.

you mean, XP Professional ?

With respect to the disk that you lost, was it the disk that came with the computer when it was purchased? 

Hard drives are quite easy to install......but before you get another hard drive boot up your computer, go into "my computer", right click on the "C" drive, click properties, click on the "tools" tab, and under where it says "error checking" click on "check now".......make sure that both "check disk" options are checked and click OK....

It will take a while for the scan to complete so be patient.  If it finds bad sectors that it cannot repair, you will need to get another hard drive.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
      • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • BC-Programming.com
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Beginner
      Why are we trying to find Hard drive errors? Wouldn't the best route be to help retrieve the files?

Illegal != Against the EULA. installing a copy of windows onto two computers using the same license key is against the EULA, but it's not necessarily illegal- well, it is, but really only in the same manner as jay-walking. I mean, if you tried to turn yourself into a police station, they would probably just laugh at you.

Now, regarding your file retrieval issue.

How is it now setup? do you have a C: drive with your old XP Pro install, and another with your current Home Installation (IE D: drive) or are they both on C:?

try taking ownership of the folder/files:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308421
      I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

hot dog

for some reason I thought that on a new installation, there may still be bad sectors present and that was why he couldn't access the files....   

file ownership could be the case, I'm sure

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • BC-Programming.com
      for some reason I thought that on a new installation, there may still be bad sectors present and that was why he couldn't access the files....   

file ownership could be the case, I'm sure

trust me- when a file contains bad sectors- in my experience- the computer freezes solid.

Very frustrating... especially when you haven't a clue what files they are.

(it was dumb, too, because I went three months with random freezes, and fixed it with a single chkdsk /r...)

hot dog

(it was dumb, too, because I went three months with random freezes, and fixed it with a single chkdsk /r...)

ehh, it's not dumb     computing is a learning experience    ;)

but thanks for the tip

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • BC-Programming.com
      well, yeah- except I already knew that chkdsk /r would fix it.

maybe not dumb though. more lazy.

"man, my comps going slow."
      "heh, but I'm gangsta, so I don't give a *censored*"

"yeah, real gangsta's just let their comps run slow"

LOL. that's a good bash.org quote.

hot dog

never been to bash.org            I'll have to drive by sometime  ;)

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      well, yeah- except I already knew that chkdsk /r would fix it.

maybe not dumb though. more lazy.

"man, my comps going slow."
      "heh, but I'm gangsta, so I don't give a *censored*"

"yeah, real gangsta's just let their comps run slow"

LOL. that's a good bash.org quote.

BC please refrain from flying off tangent or your Twinkie priveledges will be revoked...

Sincerely,
      patio.
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

webbeccjo

Topic Starter

Starter

you mean, XP Professional ?

With respect to the disk that you lost, was it the disk that came with the computer when it was purchased? 

yup, I misspoke, the one I need is xp professional...thats what came with my computer.

We had an older computer that had ME installed, then we upgraded it to xp home. That's the disc I used trying to get this comp to boot up.

I ran a chckdsk and everything seems ok.
        I guess my main issue is that some of the files/programs were on my desktop in my old user acct, but not in my new one (I hope I'm making sense!) and for some reason some of the games are no longer working. I can see them when I click on local disk c/program files, but they don't work properly when I try to open them.
        Also, they are not showing up on add/remove programs. do they uninstall when I delete the folder they are in?

~jenn

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
          • Yes
          • Yes
          • BC-Programming.com
        the problem your having with games/programs is that they aren't installed to begin with- the files they installed in Pro still exist, but the registry entries don't this is why add/remove doesn't show them, and also why they don't work properly. Deleting the folders is advisable- and then reinstall the games, and they should work.