Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: my drive wont show up...  (Read 1862 times)

bakin

my drive wont show up...
« on: June 30, 2009, 12:32:55 AM »
so my mother did something to my external drive when trying to format it. now it doesnt read at all. problem is the drive itself is sata and i dont have a sata compatible system so i cant just hook it up and force reformat it, i can only use it thru USB... any help on how i would format it like this? its a cavalry enclosure with esata and usb, 500gb wd caviar drive
« Last Edit: June 30, 2009, 12:55:09 AM by bakin »

hot dog

Re: my drive wont show up...
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2009, 03:13:09 AM »
You'll need to go into Disk Management in Windows XP, partition and format the drive.

Plug the drive into a USB port and wait a few seconds for Windows to load the driver for it.....Then, click START, right click on "my computer", click "manage".....When computer management comes up, on the left-hand side of the screen you'll click on Disk Management....When disk management appears, maximize the screen so you can see what your are doing a little better...Now towards the bottom of the screen, to the right of where it says DISK 1, right click on the drive space....If there is a black border above the disk space that you want to format, simply right click on it and then click "new partition"     Follow the set up screen and fill in the bubble next to "primary partition" and click NEXT... In the "Specify Partition Size" window click NEXT (that is, if you only want the drive to be a single partition, you can adjust the size of the partition if you want to leave room for other partitions).....When you get to the "Assign Drive Letter" window, select what drive letter you want the drive to be (for example, your current hard drive uses the letter "C") and click NEXT.....when you get to the "format partition" window check the box that says, "perform a quick format" and then click NEXT............click FINISH and in a few seconds the drive will be formatted and the drive will show up in "MY COMPUTER" and you can use the disk space.

Now, if there is a BLUE border above the disk space that you want to format (to the right of DISK 1) then simply right click and then click "format", check the box that says, "quick format" and click OK......The drive should then show up in "my computer"

If by some chance, when you look in Disk Management, there is a RED "-" sign hovering over the DISK 1 drive, right click on it and then click "initialize"...then proceed with the prior instructions...

hope this helps
« Last Edit: June 30, 2009, 03:27:52 AM by blockHEAD »

Kurtiskain

Mentor

• Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Re: my drive wont show up...
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2009, 08:18:36 PM »
You'll need to go into Disk Management in Windows XP, partition and format the drive.

Plug the drive into a USB port and wait a few seconds for Windows to load the driver for it.....Then, click START, right click on "my computer", click "manage".....When computer management comes up, on the left-hand side of the screen you'll click on Disk Management....When disk management appears, maximize the screen so you can see what your are doing a little better...Now towards the bottom of the screen, to the right of where it says DISK 1, right click on the drive space....If there is a black border above the disk space that you want to format, simply right click on it and then click "new partition"     Follow the set up screen and fill in the bubble next to "primary partition" and click NEXT... In the "Specify Partition Size" window click NEXT (that is, if you only want the drive to be a single partition, you can adjust the size of the partition if you want to leave room for other partitions).....When you get to the "Assign Drive Letter" window, select what drive letter you want the drive to be (for example, your current hard drive uses the letter "C") and click NEXT.....when you get to the "format partition" window check the box that says, "perform a quick format" and then click NEXT............click FINISH and in a few seconds the drive will be formatted and the drive will show up in "MY COMPUTER" and you can use the disk space.

Now, if there is a BLUE border above the disk space that you want to format (to the right of DISK 1) then simply right click and then click "format", check the box that says, "quick format" and click OK......The drive should then show up in "my computer"

If by some chance, when you look in Disk Management, there is a RED "-" sign hovering over the DISK 1 drive, right click on it and then click "initialize"...then proceed with the prior instructions...

hope this helps
That is a great guide, i am just wanting to know...is this fixed?