Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: ATX switches, Diablotec, no juice...  (Read 3108 times)

Lowmank79

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

ATX switches, Diablotec, no juice...
    « on: June 30, 2009, 12:57:51 AM »
    So I've been slowly building this computer and today I went out and bought the memory and the cpu cooler. I got home, put the baby to bed and put it all together. When I went out, I figured that you could buy a power switch. Little did I know that they don't sell them separately. I'm not using a case. I couldn't wait any longer so I took the one out of this computer and tried it on the new one. Nothing happened, no juice, no smoke, I read the mobo manual about 4 times, after two hours I just gave up. I'm on a shoestring budget, and I've gone real cheap. The motherboard is a Gigabyte ga-m61pme-s2p, processor is a AMD 4400 It's a dual channel, but I only bought a single gig of ram. When I started trouble shooting I took two gigs out of this machine and tried it on the new one. The manual recommended a 500w PSU, but I'm not going to use any cards and it didn't say I couldn't use less. For some reason the first component I bought for this thing was the PSU it's a Diablotec 400w thing that was $20. So I guess I'll start there. One thing I'm wondering is if the ATX switch from the HP may not match up with the panel header on the motherboard. They were both 9 pin but I think the HP only used 6. All this time I've been thinking I should have just saved the cash and ordered it all from newegg or somewhere at the same time but i didn't. I still wouldn't have the switch though. I'm sure I've thought of everything, but I really new to building and are there any other reasons it wouldn't power up besides a wrong switch, or mobo, or PSU?

Aardobard

Beginner

• I fold as Aardobard
      Re: ATX switches, Diablotec, no juice...
      « Reply #1 on: June 30, 2009, 07:19:49 AM »
      Motherboard headers have no universal configuration (God only knows why).  You have to make sure that the power switch lead is in the correct spot. Check your manual for the correct location.   It's also possible that the PSU has a switch near the plug (I'm not familiar with Diablotec).

Lowmank79

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2009, 08:59:47 AM »
        Everything was in the right spot. Something is defective.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
        • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
          • Yes
          • Yes
          • BC-Programming.com
        • Certifications: List
        • Computer: Specs
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #3 on: June 30, 2009, 02:38:31 PM »

funny, you say,

but I really new to building

and then turn around and assert:

Everything was in the right spot. Something is defective.

Nothing is defective. you don't have a proper power switch.

If you wanted to- you can usually remove the power switch header completely- I believe in this case it will power on the moment you plug it in and/or turn on the PSU.

the only other reason, besides the lack of/using the wrong switch, would be the power supply itself.

PSU it's a Diablotec 400w thing that was $20

Cheap power supplies end up costing more in the long run.
        I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Lowmank79

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2009, 04:19:41 PM »
          How would you go about bypassing the header?

Everything was in the right spot, the colors for the LEDs didn't match up on the switch, but they matched for the power.

I'm thinking of taking the psu out of this machine to test it first. What I'm wondering, looking at the troubleshooting flow chart, is if it would not power on if something else is bad? RAM, Cooler, etc.

Quantos

Guru
          • Veni, Vidi, Vici
            • Yes
            • Yes
          • Experience: Guru
          « Reply #5 on: June 30, 2009, 07:30:43 PM »
          How would you go about bypassing the header?

For all intents and purposes, you can't.  I would suggest waiting until your next paycheck and buying a case.  Unless you want to risk frying the new components.
          Evil is an exact science.

Kurtiskain

Mentor

• Yes
            • Yes
            • Yes
          • Experience: Expert
          « Reply #6 on: June 30, 2009, 08:39:07 PM »
          I imagine that you are using a metallic screwdriver of some sort, connect the two power pins with the screwdriver, effectively shorting them (which is what you do when you push the switch)

Have the mobo manual in front of you to make sure you are shorting the right pins. However; If You short the others on the front headers (apart form USB) while it is off, it wont do any damage.

If that does not work, then it is the PSU.

Do the keyboard lights flash when you plug it in?

Do the fans spin momentarily when you plug the power in?

Is the PSU 24 pin + 4, 20 + 4 pin or 20 pin?

To test the PSU actually starts, use this website http://www.duxcw.com/faq/ps/ps4.htm

Quantos

Guru
          • Veni, Vidi, Vici
            • Yes
            • Yes
          « Reply #7 on: June 30, 2009, 08:41:55 PM »
          That is above and beyond the skill and competency of the OP.

Lowmank79

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2009, 09:56:22 PM »
            I imagine that you are using a metallic screwdriver of some sort, connect the two power pins with the screwdriver, effectively shorting them (which is what you do when you push the switch)

Have the mobo manual in front of you to make sure you are shorting the right pins. However; If You short the others on the front headers (apart form USB) while it is off, it wont do any damage.

I thought about that, I didn't know if the if the circuit has to remain open or closed. It's pretty cut and dry on which ones are the power,        four for the leds and two for power.

If that does not work, then it is the PSU.

Do the keyboard lights flash when you plug it in?

Do the fans spin momentarily when you plug the power in?

No juice at all, it's like it's not even plugged in.

Is the PSU 24 pin + 4, 20 + 4 pin or 20 pin?

The PSU is a 24 and then the 4 as is the motherboard.

I've been buying these parts over the last few months, I finally got everything I needed and I knew something like this was going to happen. The biggest bummer was not being able to buy the switch. I AM NOT buying a case just for that one part. I'll go to every mom and pop shop in town before I do that. Thank you very much.

To test the PSU actually starts, use this website http://www.duxcw.com/faq/ps/ps4.htm

That is above and beyond the skill and competency of the OP.

Thanks Man.

Quantos

Guru
            • Veni, Vidi, Vici
              • Yes
              • Yes
            « Reply #9 on: July 01, 2009, 08:15:43 AM »
            Thanks Man.

Sorry man, I just re-read that with a fresh cup of coffee this morning, please allow me to remove my feet from my mouth.

That didn't come out quite the way that I meant....

Lowmank79

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2009, 03:15:39 PM »
              That's alright, I can get like that too sometimes at night.

The next day I went out and found a switch from a computer shop for free. They said they usually just throw them out. I guess I'm a pack rat but it seems I'd keep all of that stuff.

I also went and got a 450w power supply from Best Buy with the intention of just using it to test and taking it back. It is a Thermaltake Black Widow something or other and it fired right up. I'm so impressed with the PSU that I'm keeping it. It's really sexy and all of the power cables plug into it so it keeps things clean. I feel kinda silly though because the PSU is the most expensive thing in the cabinet.

It all works though, I'm pretty stoked about it. Now I'm working on cooling.

hejlik

Hopeful

• Have a GREAT day!!
                « Reply #11 on: July 06, 2009, 03:43:38 PM »

I also went and got a 450w power supply from Best Buy with the intention of just using it to test and taking it back

And you think this is ethical?
                Dan

No matter where you go    there you are.

ASUS P5B DELUXE, Intel Core 2 Duo E6400, CORSAIR XMS2 4GB DDR2 800, GeForce 7900GS, SeaSonic EPS12V 500W Power Supply, Western Digital Caviar 160GB SATA Hard Drive

Lowmank79

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2009, 04:10:25 PM »
                  And you think this is ethical?

I see nothing wrong with taking it back. If I have one brand new PSU and my system doesn't fire up and I go out and buy another one and it still doesn't start then why keep it? Why would I want two power supplies that I have no need for? It's not like I had an old one that was out of warranty, got the same one and switched them out.

hejlik

Hopeful

• Have a GREAT day!!
                    « Reply #13 on: July 06, 2009, 04:13:34 PM »
                    Sorry, I disagree.  If you use it, for whatever reason, you should buy it.
                    Dan

No matter where you go    there you are.

ASUS P5B DELUXE, Intel Core 2 Duo E6400, CORSAIR XMS2 4GB DDR2 800, GeForce 7900GS, SeaSonic EPS12V 500W Power Supply, Western Digital Caviar 160GB SATA Hard Drive

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
                    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
                      • Yes
                      • Yes
                      • BC-Programming.com
                    • Experience: Beginner
                    « Reply #14 on: July 06, 2009, 04:29:09 PM »
                    if the second one didn't work, then he has a reason to take it back.

but it did so he kept it.

Besides, people have been known to be far more unscrupulous with returns- taking them back to another store, trying to buy them on sale and then returning them after the sale is over with the hope of getting a full regular price refund, etc.

I've done it myself... Although it was sort of an accident; got a Geforce 6200, didn't work, took it back, exchanged for a AIW 9000, which also didn't work... turned out, both of these cards were 8x AGP, and my motherboard was only 4x. I still have the 9000 though, I never did take it back.

I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.