Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: nvidia 8800 gt high idle temperature  (Read 2416 times)

Skipito

nvidia 8800 gt high idle temperature
« on: June 30, 2009, 02:35:46 PM »
Hello guys,

I have a problem with my nvidia 8800 gt 512 MB (G92 65 nm). It idles at 69-71. Load: 83-85.
Stock cooler. It came with a Dell vostro 410. (30% fan speed)

I do not want to buy an aftermarket cooler.

Do I have to worry that it will be dead soon? Dell said temperature was fine and it could get up to 110 degrees.

Thanks.

Quantos

Guru
  • Veni, Vidi, Vici
    • Yes
    • Yes
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Guru
Re: nvidia 8800 gt high idle temperature
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2009, 07:41:14 PM »
Yes, you have nothing to worry about with that.  If you really want just throw some extra fans into the case, but it's not necessary.
Evil is an exact science.

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2009, 03:09:03 AM »
Those temperatures are OK, but they are a little on the high side.
Check the card for dust, the small coolers on graphics cards can easily get clogged up.
Also, you're usually able to control the fan speed, when I was using my standard cooler on my 8800GT I found that 50% fan speed improved the temperatures vastly and wasn't audible over my other fans.  Use a program called Rivatuner for this.

neelchauhan

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2009, 11:18:02 AM »
Even my Inspiron 530 has high idle temperature. That's because Dell chose the cheapest PSU and fans. If your PC is not in warranty, get more powerful fans.

For a video, see http://neelwebs.izfree.com/neellab/art.php?file=art1 or http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IoOL2LcRJ4o if you prefer YouTube