Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: computer suddenly shutting down, possibly fan issue?  (Read 2506 times)

ksev

Topic Starter

computer suddenly shutting down, possibly fan issue?
    « on: June 30, 2009, 08:46:08 PM »
    I have a Dell 4700 with Windows XP, about four years old, going on five. The system has always had fan issues - the fan runs super loud, and the computer tends to overheat. The past year it's been running pretty bad, making a ton of noise and having a tendency to shut down unexpectedly. The screen will suddenly go white with a series of jagged colored lines, and then after a few seconds, shut down. The monitor appears to go first, but the fan will remain on. After this happens, I will try to turn the computer on, only to have the front left light turn on and glow orange - the other light that indicates full start-up and is supposed to be green doesn't light up at all. The front left light will glow and the fan will start to growl and stay on, but the rest of the computer doesn't start up.

I would like to think that this is a fan problem, but I've tried letting the thing cool down and it still does this as soon as I start it up again. If this computer is on the fritz, is there still a way for me to turn it on and backup my files? I've got about 3000 dollars of music on there and my academic records and files, as well as all of my digital images from the past four years. Some of these things are on my portable USB, some are not, so it would be excellent to get one last shot with the thing if we know it's going to die.

Overall it has been a pretty <censored> computer, and I would not recommend it to anyone, even if they were looking for a cheap desktop.  :(

ALSO: For all intensive purposes it should be mentioned that basically I just turned it on tonight for the first successful time in two weeks, and it shut down after about five minutes of use. Before that, I was constantly getting the orange light without startup. So if I need to download anything to check it or use it, I don't think I will be able to do so for quite a while. The thing apparently needs to "rest" for a while before I can even get five minutes of use out of it. UGH.

Broni

Mastermind
    • Kraków my love :)
      • Computer Help Forum
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: computer suddenly shutting down, possibly fan issue?
    « Reply #1 on: June 30, 2009, 09:34:48 PM »
    If you kept it overheated for a year, no wonder, it finally got upset with you.
    Slave the hard drive in another computer, or use hard drive enclosure to retrieve your data (if HD is not damaged, as well).

ksev

Topic Starter

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2009, 09:43:22 PM »
      If you kept it overheated for a year, no wonder, it finally got upset with you.
      Slave the hard drive in another computer, or use hard drive enclosure to retrieve your data (if HD is not damaged, as well).

Unfortunately I was in a position where I couldn't afford another and had no choice but to use it, so I'm afraid it did put the poor thing through the ringer.  :-[

If I used a hard drive enclosure, could I use it with a laptop? Would it have to be a Dell as well, or could I switch systems?

Broni

Mastermind
        • Computer Help Forum
      « Reply #3 on: June 30, 2009, 09:46:35 PM »
      You can use enclosure with any type of working computer.

westom

Intermediate

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2009, 09:49:05 PM »
        I have a Dell 4700 with Windows XP, about four years old, going on five. The system has always had fan issues

You are assuming it is a fan issue.  It is a Dell.  That means the manufacturer has provided comprehensive hardware diagnostics for free on the hard drive, CD-Rom, and web site. Your problem is exactly why those diagnostics are provided. Rather than speculate or following speculation from others who have never seen the machine, instead, report what those diagnostics report.  Then the next replies can be useful or informative.

That computer is designed to work just fine in a 100 degree room.  If only in 70 degrees, then what has been changed to adversely affect hardware?

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #5 on: July 01, 2009, 06:30:40 PM »
        Age.

Please refrain from slamming advise being offered in a helpful manner.

patio.
        " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Broni

Mastermind
          • Computer Help Forum
        « Reply #6 on: July 01, 2009, 07:17:36 PM »
        I hope, we're not talking Celsius here  ??? ???