Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Unwanted Screen Resolution Issues  (Read 7769 times)

John Harper

Unwanted Screen Resolution Issues
« on: May 25, 2005, 06:37:33 PM »
My monitor screen steps down its pixel count  to 600 x 800 on its own accord.  When I increase the resolution, it takes until I shut down.  Then the same thing occurs the next time I boot up.  Is there a fix for this?

Flame

• Prodigy

• Think, dream, see, be... Everything.
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Guru
Re: Unwanted Screen Resolution Issues
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2005, 07:00:36 PM »
Have you tried updating your video card drivers? How long has this been happening? Which operating system are you using?

[glb]Flame[/glb]

Raptor

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2005, 06:46:36 AM »
Questions:

1. What type of videocard do you have?
2. What type of monitor do you have?
3. What type of drivers are you using?
4. What operating system are you using?

Observation:

1. You may have installed improper drivers which cause your desktop settings to include resolutions that are beyond the capability of your monitor.

John Harper

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2005, 05:49:43 PM »
This probelm has been going on ofr about 3 months and did not start with the introduction of any new software to my knowledge.  I did uninstall and then re-install my Intel graphics controller.  I am using Xp home as operating system.  I have gone in via Safe Mode and "normal", made changes to pixel settings, applied and then OKed the changes and things work fine.  Only when I log out (including complete as well as re-start), my computer resets my resolutions.  The highter settings work fine once they are changed while I remain logged on.

Raptor

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2005, 04:30:55 AM »
I did uninstall and then re-install my Intel graphics controller

Questions:

1. Where did you obtain these drivers?
2. Has Windows XP installed these for you?

johnwharper

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2005, 03:06:21 PM »
My computer came with XP home installed
on it and it worked find for some time. I can recall nothing in the way of installations (or any other event) that led or may have led to my current situation. I have the Restore CD that came with my computer which I believe has the drivers on it that you speak of.  FYI, I have played with the Control Panel in SAFE mode as well as normal.  Both will allow me to change the resolution as long as do not shut my computer down.  Once that is done and I then reboot, I am back to square one.

Raptor

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2005, 03:08:19 PM »
I did uninstall and then re-install my Intel graphics controller.

Has the problem first occurred after you have done the above?

johnwharper

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2005, 04:25:22 PM »
No, it started doing it on its own and then I was advised to delete and then reinstall the Intel Graphics Controller which I did.  By reinstall, I mean I went back to where I first deleted it and found it there.  Did I merely try and delete versus actually uninstall it? Finding it to reinstall was pretty impressive to me.  Then drivers were reinstalled via Reinstall disc.  Should I get more current ones and if so, how do I do this?

Raptor

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2005, 07:03:27 AM »
Explain to us how you have tried to remove the drivers that you have installed.

New Intel Graphic Controller drivers can be obtained from this website.

At Select your product to where the arrow points take the following steps:

1. Graphics
2. Desktop graphics controllers
-- Assuming you are speaking of a Desktop, if not, select Notebook graphics controllers
3. Choose the correct graphic controller from the list.
-- it is imperative that you select the proper graphic controller, otherwise you may experience problems as you have experienced in the past.

johnwharper

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2005, 04:48:29 PM »
I have been messing with this problem for so long that what I remember doing and what I don't remember are becoming one big blur.  In any case, I am starting all over.  
Re your instruction via Intel, thnak you very much.  My set up is a Desktop.  Would you confirm that I should be replacing my existing Intel (R)82810E Graphics Controller with the same new one or is there an upgrade which should be installled?

johnwharper

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2005, 07:15:57 PM »
Computer Hope God,  as this is Saturday, I did not expect an answer right away so I explored the Intel site and have the following questions to go along with my previous response:

Under the Graphics Driver [WIN2K_XPE67.EXE, WIN 2K_XPM67.EXE] heading under the Intel site, it states
the downloads are valid for the Intel 810 Chipset Family and the Intel 82810 Graphics Controller. I am selecting the latter in the English only version unles you advise to the contrary.

When I select my operating system (XP Home) under the Intel 82810 Graphic Controller, I am given two download options: A Graphics Driver as shown in the second para. above (Version 6.7)and an archived version (Version 6.6). Query 1)  Which one should I download?

Query 2)  Do I need to uninstall the existing software before downloading the new or can I just overwrite the old?

Query 3)  Where should my downloads be saved and I do want to save them versus running them?

Query 4)  Is there anything else I should know about this stuff before I go off the deep end?

Raptor

« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2005, 05:14:08 AM »
Query 1)  Which one should I download?

Query 2)  Do I need to uninstall the existing software before downloading the new or can I just overwrite the old?

Query 3)  Where should my downloads be saved and I do want to save them versus running them?

Query 4)  Is there anything else I should know about this stuff before I go off the deep end?

1. 6.7 seems like the latest release.

2. It is better if you take the following actions when installing new drivers:

I. Uninstall drivers
-- Either from the Add/Remove software/Windows components menu or from the device manager menu.
--- It is also possible to use a tool such as Driver Cleaner
II. Use a registry scanner to remove any entries related to the driver previously installed.

3. It is always better to have the driver installer stored on your Hard Disk Drive. If you open them directly from the website, and something goes wrong, then you will have to download it again. However, once the drivers are succesfully installed you can simply remove the installer.
-- Only remove the installer if it is a .exe file. If it is an .inf file, it will have to remain where it is.

4. Be absolutely certain that you have the proper chipset drivers.

johnwharper

« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2005, 03:35:15 PM »
Thank you again! Couple more questions and I will try this out-probably next Sunday as will be out of town for about a week unless plans change.

1)  What is a registry scanner and where do I get one?

2)  How do I figure out which chipset drivers I have? I don't yet feel absolutely certain that I have the proper chipset drivers but would bet they (it) are (is) the 810 series.  Don't they come as a single driver and not drivers?

3)  I am not a dufus, I am not a dufus, I am not.....

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2005, 04:20:56 PM »
    John Harper...... There may be a simple way to fix your issues ......If you havent been visited by any viruses in the last 3 months....... Try using the system restore feature thats built into Win XP ...set it back to a restore point prior to when the problem started .

let us know

dl65  ::)
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

Fed

• Sage
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #14 on: May 29, 2005, 05:08:01 PM »
      it takes until I shut down

Makes me think there is nothing wrong with your drivers.
      Are you hitting 'apply' when you change it or just hitting OK?
      Is there a difference I wonder?
      Do resolution changes apply globally or only to the user that sets them?
      Are you changing it as one user then logging in as another?
      Could you resolution settings be locked somehow?
      As you will tell by my post it's not something I've played with all that much, it's a set & forget thing for me.
      Anyway, now you have my thoughts for what it's worth.
      I'll be interested to see this outcome.  ???
      « Last Edit: May 29, 2005, 05:08:44 PM by Fed »

johnwharper

« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2005, 12:10:21 PM »
      T%hanks for your interest, folks .  I think I need the answers to my previous postprior to taking any action.

In response to the two comments recently received, this problem existed before I upgraded to XP Home from Windows 2000.  I hate to use System Restore as I don't wnat to loose my XP Home and the problem existed befor I hd this installled.  And yes, I have been clicking Apply and then OK consistantly, both as user and Administrator.  There is a difference, I believe, in what these two buttons do.  I am logging on like always, both as a user and as an Administrator, to no avail.  Thnaks again for the thoughts.

Raptor

« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2005, 12:34:39 PM »

1)  What is a registry scanner and where do I get one?

2)  How do I figure out which chipset drivers I have? I don't yet feel absolutely certain that I have the proper chipset drivers but would bet they (it) are (is) the 810 series.  Don't they come as a single driver and not drivers?

3)  I am not a dufus, I am not a dufus, I am not.....

1. A registry scanner is an application that can scan the windows registry automatically and detect, correct and/or remove faulty entries. These entries are often caused by uninstalled drivers and applications.

Registry First Aid is an excellent registry scanner. Obtain it here
      -- There is a trial version available for download. There are many other registry scanners. Some of which are entirely free.

2. You have several options, the three I will state are most common:

1. Refer to your mainboard manual.
      2. Inspect your mainboard.
      3. Contact your mainboard manufacturers for precise information or consult their website.

3. Do not despair, you have quite an unusual problem.