Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Vista RAM problem - Daily  (Read 8413 times)

Quantos

Guru
  • Veni, Vidi, Vici
    • Yes
    • Yes
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Guru
Re: Vista RAM problem - Daily
« Reply #30 on: July 04, 2009, 03:02:45 AM »
I want you to check the malware/virus section.

I would rather that you are safe than sorry.
Evil is an exact science.

killerb255

Adviser
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Vista RAM problem - Daily
    « Reply #31 on: July 08, 2009, 12:00:33 PM »
    In a nutshell, Superfetch caches your most frequently used programs into RAM in order to, in theory, open them faster.  After all, RAM is faster than mechanical hard drives, right? :)

The drawback of Superfetch is that startup tends to be slower--Vista has to take time to reload your Superfetch cache back into RAM.

Typically, I disable Superfetch on any Vista machine running less than 4 GB of RAM (in other words, 32-bit Vista, although I've seen some 64-bit builds run less than 4 GB of RAM). 

Disabling Superfetch means that startup should be a bit faster, but opening huge programs may be a little slower (might not be noticeable until you try disabling it on a machine with 24 GB of RAM running AutoCAD or Revit).

In general, if your 6 GB of RAM is being chewed up, it's probably Superfetch. 

When you stopped the Superfetch service, did you remember to disable it?  Did you reboot afterward?

...and finally, when you open Task Manager, did you click the button that says "Show processes for all users"?
    Quote from: talontromper
    Part of the problem is most people don't generally deal with computer problems. So for most they think that close enough is good enough.