Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: My Computer Will Not Stand By  (Read 3637 times)

ShadeLurker

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Not all who wander are lost...
    My Computer Will Not Stand By
    « on: July 02, 2009, 11:10:33 AM »
    I searched around the forums here and was surprised not to find any issues related to this.  I've searched around in other areas and I've seen that this problem is actually sort of common.

Anyways, let me get down to the point.  When I try to put my computer in Stand By, it won't work.  It instead, shows the screen where it says "Preparing to Stand By" and then shuts down, only for a moment.  Immediately thereafter, it starts right back up and shows the login screen. 

From the places I've searched, the most common reason for this seems to be a background process that is running or some sort of hardware device that prevents the computer from going into standby.  I think it might be the latter, being the hardware device preventing it from going into Stand By.  I'm not certain when the problem started but I think it may be my Logitech mouse preventing me from going into Stand By.  I'm not certain, though, so I'm open to suggestions. 

If it is that my mouse is interfering, could any of you possibly point me in the direction of when I can download the "HID Non-User Input Data Filter"?  This is supposedly the fix that has helped many people out with the problem but I can't find it anywhere.  I looked under the Optional Updates in my windows updates and it doesn't show up to me.  I have also searched the internet to see if anyone has a download of it that does NOT come from Windows Updates.  Nothing came up.  Help with this would be appreciated.

If you know of any other reason that I may not be able to Stand By, let me know.  I'll gladly check or scan anything to try to get this problem fixed.

Additional Info:
    E Machine T6412
    Windows XP SP3
    AMD Athlon 64 Processor
    2 GB of RAM
    Logitech MX Revolution Mouse
    Avira AntiVir Personal - Free AntiVirus
    NVIDIA GForce 7600 GS

If you need any other information, let me know.
    Thank you for your help ahead of time.
    « Last Edit: July 02, 2009, 11:27:01 AM by ShadeLurker »

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: My Computer Will Not Stand By
    « Reply #1 on: July 02, 2009, 02:17:01 PM »
    I have also seen this in systems where the hard drives are packed with data and there is inadequate space to write the system state to the hard drive. Do you have adequate free hard disk space?

improbabilitist

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2009, 03:24:22 PM »
    Interesting, I had the same problem on older computers (where they would get stuck on the 'Standing by, please wait' screen for ever).

Is the problem still occurring when the system is freshly booted? What about booting into admin account?

Also, if you think it's your mouse then the most obvious thing to me would be to try a different (USB / PS2) mouse. It's pretty important if we determine whether it's a hardware issue or the software one (my gut is telling me it's the latter, but we'll have to see ;))

ShadeLurker

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2009, 04:41:54 PM »
      I have 108 GB of free space on my Hard Drive so I'm pretty sure that restricted disk space isn't the issue.

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #4 on: July 02, 2009, 04:59:47 PM »
      DLoad and install Process Explorer...Free.
      I believe it can be launched right before standby and still report...
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Broni

Mastermind
      • Kraków my love :)
        • Computer Help Forum
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #5 on: July 02, 2009, 06:42:53 PM »
      If it's desktop....
      Rule #1 - Don't use Windows power saving features
      Rule #2 - See rule #1

Quantos

Guru
      • Veni, Vidi, Vici
        • Yes
        • Yes
      • Experience: Guru
      « Reply #6 on: July 04, 2009, 01:38:36 AM »
      I agree with Broni, power saving, other than having the display being shutoff just doesn't work right on a desktop unit.
      Evil is an exact science.

ShadeLurker

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2009, 04:39:10 PM »
        Thank you for all of your help.  I ended up unplugging my wireless mouse for a connected mouse and it still didn't work.  However, when I used the wired mouse and tried to standby, it informed me that I couldn't standby because my Zune was preventing it.  I unplugged my Zune and Standby worked fine.  All I've got to do is unplug my Zune whenever I'm going to standby now.

Thanks again.

[Sorry for the late reply.  I was on vacation and had no access to the computer that I needed help with.]

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #8 on: July 22, 2009, 06:18:24 PM »
        No problem...
        Glad to hear you are fixed up and stop by anytime...
        " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "