Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Help - Computer freezes for split second then works fine  (Read 44024 times)

sunnykatt

Topic Starter

Rookie
    Help - Computer freezes for split second then works fine
    « on: July 02, 2009, 05:07:00 PM »
    My computer has started freezing for a split second and then it works fine. It will do this over and over.  This happens when in word processing software, on the internet scrolling pages, or when playing games.  I've scanned the hard drive, cleaned all temporary and internet files, made sure windows is up to date, and defragged.  Does anyone have any idea why it is doing this? Thanks. 
    « Last Edit: July 02, 2009, 05:23:51 PM by sunnykatt »
    Kathy

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Help - Computer freezes for split second then works fine
    « Reply #1 on: July 02, 2009, 06:22:00 PM »
    System specs ? ?
    Any new hardware installed recently ? ?
    Size of HDD and available free space ? ?
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

sunnykatt

Topic Starter

Rookie
      « Reply #2 on: July 03, 2009, 08:11:29 AM »
      Windows XP Pro ver 5.1, Serv Pack 3, hard drive 300 gb, used 92, free 178; AMD Athlon 64, 2.00 GB mem, 400 MHZ

Installed a new network adapter - Linksys a month or two ago.
      Kathy

westom

Intermediate

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2009, 08:45:50 AM »
        My computer has started freezing for a split second and then it works fine. ...  I've scanned the hard drive, cleaned all temporary and internet files, made sure windows is up to date, and defragged. 

None of those would solve such problems.  Better is to see the problem before trying to fix it.  For example, that is what Task Manager does.

A delay could be identified by a task consuming lots of CPU time.  Or by a task reporting a large number of page faults.  Just two numbers to monitor when the short lockup occurs.  Once the offending task is IDed, then you can move on to a solution.

Use Windows Help, Control Panel, or Cntrl-Alt-Del to find Task Manager.

sunnykatt

Topic Starter

Rookie
          « Reply #4 on: July 03, 2009, 08:56:39 AM »
          I show files
          wmiprvse.exe using 25,588k mem with 227,672 page faults
          Wacom_tablet.exe has 58,049 page faults
          avgrsx.exe 55,004 peak mem and 3,728,150 page faults
          avgwdsvc.exe with 232,276 page faults
          jqs.exe has over 8,458,961 page faults
          avgidsagent.exe has 8,470,107 page faults
          AVG is the virus scan
          Kathy

westom

Intermediate

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2009, 09:10:15 AM »
            I show files
            wmiprvse.exe using 25,588k mem with 227,672 page faults
            Wacom_tablet.exe has 58,049 page faults ...
              Those would be total page faults.  I should have said (I believe it is called) delta page faults.

If page faults correspond with lockups, you need more memory.  Most of the loaded programs are swapped out to disk drive.  If the OS must swapp out to 'virtual memory' too often (due to insufficient RAM), then CPU spends more time at 0% while waiting for the code to be reloaded by something always extremely slow - disk drive. 

sunnykatt

Topic Starter

Rookie
              « Reply #6 on: July 03, 2009, 09:18:59 AM »
              Thought it might be something like that.  I'll take off the cover and take a look inside.  Thanks.
              Kathy

Broni

Mastermind
              • Kraków my love :)
                • Computer Help Forum
              • Computer: Specs
              • Experience: Experienced
              « Reply #7 on: July 03, 2009, 05:02:39 PM »
              you need more memory
              ?? He has 2GB of RAM - more than enough.

Download Process Explorer: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653.aspx
              Unzip ProcessExplorer.zip, and double click on procexp.exe to run the program.
              Click on View > Select Colunms.
              In addition to already pre-selected options, make sure, the Command Line is selected, and press OK.
              Go File>Save As, and save the report as Procexp.txt.
              Attach the file to your next reply.

sunnykatt

Topic Starter

Rookie
                « Reply #8 on: July 04, 2009, 07:43:24 AM »
                Here's the report!  Thanks.

[attachment deleted by admin]
                Kathy

westom

Intermediate

« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2009, 08:05:19 AM »
                  Here's the report!  Thanks.
                    Whether using Task Manager or Process Explorere (Task Manager on steroids),  first enable fields to monitor such as delta page faults.  Useful information is real time.  A snapshot will rarely show anything useful.   You are looking for numbers that correspond with when the lockup occurs.  You are looking for a trend; not a status report.

Quantos

Guru
                  • Veni, Vidi, Vici
                    • Yes
                    • Yes
                  • Experience: Guru
                  « Reply #10 on: July 04, 2009, 08:08:35 AM »
                    Whether using Task Manager or Process Explorere (Task Manager on steroids),  first enable fields to monitor such as delta page faults.  Useful information is real time.  A snapshot will rarely show anything useful.   You are looking for numbers that correspond with when the lockup occurs.  You are looking for a trend; not a status report.

???

What?
                  Evil is an exact science.

globaltel

Rookie

« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2009, 08:29:20 AM »
                    If page faults correspond with lockups, you need more memory.  Most of the loaded programs are swapped out to disk drive.  If the OS must swapp out to 'virtual memory' too often . Or better still you can talk to us at:

Link Removed
                    « Last Edit: July 04, 2009, 09:17:03 AM by patio »

sunnykatt

Topic Starter

Rookie
                      « Reply #12 on: July 04, 2009, 09:11:06 AM »
                      Broni, I don't know if I replied or not that the computer has 2 GB of ram and that's all it will recognize.  I wasn't running any programs when I generated the report.  Even now while I'm typing this, there is hesitation about every 20 or so characters.  I have a 500 GB external drive.  Would it help to load some of the larger programs along with the Wacom tablet on there or will that may any difference at all? Thanks.  Kathy
                      Kathy

Broni

Mastermind
                        • Computer Help Forum
                      « Reply #13 on: July 04, 2009, 10:49:26 AM »
                      I can see, Deferred Procedure Calls service is eating up 13.95% of your CPU at the moment.
                      It's not a huge percentage, but it's not not normal.
                      Any recent computer changes (hardware, software)?

Download HijackThis:
                      http://www.trendsecure.com/portal/en-US/tools/security_tools/hijackthis/download
                      by clicking on Download HijackThis Installer
                      Install, and run it.
                      Post HijackTHis log.
                      Do NOT attempt to fix anything!

NOTE. If you're using Vista, right click on HijackThis, and click Run as Administrator

sunnykatt

Topic Starter

Rookie
                        « Reply #14 on: July 04, 2009, 10:54:24 AM »
                        Here's the file. Thanks.  Kathy

Kathy

sunnykatt

Topic Starter

Rookie
                          « Reply #15 on: July 04, 2009, 11:00:43 AM »
                          AVG Security software is new as of a few months ago, then Corel Painter X and Photoshop Elements 5, Wacom tablet, external hard drive. Also, new 24 inch monitor. That's all I can think of. Thanks. Kathy
                          Kathy

Broni

Mastermind
                            • Computer Help Forum
                          « Reply #16 on: July 04, 2009, 11:25:25 AM »
                          You have a lot of startups. Some of them unnecessary. We can look into it little bit later.

Let's try couple of other things first.

Turn off computer, disconnect external hard drive. Restart computer. Same issue?

If so, uninstall AVG, using AVG Remover: http://www.avg.com/download-tools
                          Switch to one of these:

- Avast! free antivirus: http://www.avast.com/eng/download-avast-home.html
                          - Avira free antivirus: http://www.free-av.com/en/download/index.html

- free PC Tools Antivirus: http://www.pctools.com/free-antivirus/
                          - free PC Tools Firewall Plus: http://www.pctools.com/firewall/

- free Comodo Internet Security (firewall + AV): http://www.personalfirewall.comodo.com/
                          NOTE. During installation, Comodo will also allow you to install AV only, or firewall only, if you prefer to combine one Comodo product with some other product.

If you decide to install Avast, or Avira, make sure, Windows firewall is turned on, or use PC Tools Firewall Plus, or Comodo firewall..
                          If you decide to install Comodo Internet Security, or just Comodo firewall, make sure, Windows firewall is turned off.

IMPORTANT! Make sure, you use only ONE antivirus, and ONE firewall.

sunnykatt

Topic Starter

Rookie
                            « Reply #17 on: July 04, 2009, 02:04:44 PM »
                            Okay.  I can't believe your working on this on the 4th of July!  Nothing changed when the external drive was not hooked up.  I just put it in two days ago.  I uninstalled AVG.  Also uninstalled other programs that I just wasn't using or wanted.  Still no change.  Do you want me to run any reports over?  Thanks.  Kathy
                            Kathy

sunnykatt

Topic Starter

Rookie
                              « Reply #18 on: July 04, 2009, 02:08:14 PM »
                              Here's a new HyjackThis report.

Kathy

Broni

Mastermind
                                • Computer Help Forum
                              « Reply #19 on: July 04, 2009, 02:25:43 PM »
                              I can't believe your working on this on the 4th of July!
                              My type of celebration ;D

Run HJT again.
                              Checkmark following entries:

R3 - URLSearchHook: (no name) - *{CFBFAE00-17A6-11D0-99CB-00C04FD64497} - (no file)
                              R3 - URLSearchHook: AVG Security Toolbar BHO - {A3BC75A2-1F87-4686-AA43-5347D756017C} - C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG8\Toolbar\IEToolbar.dll (file missing)
                              O2 - BHO: WormRadar.com IESiteBlocker.NavFilter - {3CA2F312-6F6E-4B53-A66E-4E65E497C8C0} - (no file)
                              O2 - BHO: AVG Security Toolbar BHO - {A3BC75A2-1F87-4686-AA43-5347D756017C} - C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG8\Toolbar\IEToolbar.dll (file missing)
                              O3 - Toolbar: AVG Security Toolbar - {CCC7A320-B3CA-4199-B1A6-9F516DD69829} - C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG8\Toolbar\IEToolbar.dll (file missing)
                              O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HPHUPD08] c:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\{33D6CC28-9F75-4d1b-A11D-98895B3A3729}\hphupd08.exe
                              O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HPBootOp] "C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP Boot Optimizer\HPBootOp.exe" /run
                              O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HP Software Update] C:\Program Files\HP\HP Software Update\HPWuSchd2.exe
                              O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ISUSPM Startup] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\UpdateService\ISUSPM.exe" -startup
                              O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DiscUpdateManager] C:\Program Files\DISC\DiscUpdateMgr.exe
                              O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ISUSScheduler] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\UpdateService\issch.exe" -start
                              O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] "C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jusched.exe"
                              O4 - HKLM\..\RunOnce: [AvgRemover] C:\Documents and Settings\HP_Administrator\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\JNKVKSDV\avgremover[1].exe /run_number=2 /avgdir="C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG8" /avgdatadir="C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\avg8" /ndis_nextstep=1
                              O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [SansaDispatch] C:\Documents and Settings\HP_Administrator\Application Data\SanDisk\Sansa Updater\SansaDispatch.exe
                              O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background
                              O4 - Global Startup: HP Digital Imaging Monitor.lnk = C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\bin\hpqtra08.exe
                              O4 - Global Startup: HP Photosmart Premier Fast Start.lnk = C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\bin\hpqthb08.exe
                              O18 - Protocol: linkscanner - {F274614C-63F8-47D5-A4D1-FBDDE494F8D1} - (no file)
                              O20 - Winlogon Notify: avgrsstarter - avgrsstx.dll (file missing)

Click "Fix checked" button.

Open Windows Explorer, and delete AVG folder from C:\Program Files.

Restart computer. Any better?

Download, and install SpeedFan: http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php
                              Post your computer temperatures:

sunnykatt

Topic Starter

Rookie
                                « Reply #20 on: July 04, 2009, 04:04:15 PM »
                                I couldn't figure how to get the chart printed nicely like you did.  Thanks. Kathy

Ambient: 45C
                                Remote 1:48C
                                Remobe 2:126C
                                HD0: 46C
                                Core: 45C

Fan1:938RPH
                                Fan2:2014RPM

Speed01: 40%
                                Speed02: 40%
                                Kathy

sunnykatt

Topic Starter

Rookie
                                  « Reply #21 on: July 04, 2009, 04:07:35 PM »
                                  Also, at the top under Readings it says:

SMSC h?m Block (ID=$20) found on SMBus at $2D
                                  Found ST3300831AS (300.1GB)
                                  End of Detection
                                  Kathy

Broni

Mastermind
                                    • Computer Help Forum
                                  « Reply #22 on: July 04, 2009, 04:42:46 PM »
                                  The temperatures are on warmer side, but I don't see anything dramatic.

If you have more than one RAM module installed, try starting computer with one RAM stick at a time.
                                  If you have only one RAM stick installed...
                                  ...run memtest: http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic62524.html

Run hard drive diagnostics: http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=287
                                  Make sure, you select tool, which is appropriate for the brand of your hard drive.
                                  Depending on the program, it'll create bootable floppy, or bootable CD.
                                  If downloaded file is of .iso type, use ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/ to burn .iso file to a CD, and make the CD bootable.

NOTE. If your hard drive is made by Toshiba, unfortunately, you're out of luck, because Toshiba doesn't provide any diagnostic tool.

westom

Intermediate

« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2009, 06:21:09 AM »
                                    Here's the file. Thanks.  Kathy
                                      A long list of programs loaded are on that list.  Most are doing nothing most of the time.  But one (or some) are suddenly demanding too much - create your seconds of bottleneck.  Which one?  Previously posted and not provided: Whether using Task Manager or Process Explorere (Task Manager on steroids),  first enable fields to monitor such as delta page faults.  Useful information is real time.  A snapshot will rarely show anything useful.   You are looking for numbers that correspond with when the lockup occurs.  You are looking for a trend; not a status report.

Those fields are enabled in VIEW. Once the lockup occurs, which tasks are consuming too much CPU time or have massive delta page faults.  That is the program or programs (in that long list) that has created your stall.

Whether you have 2 Gb or less is not relevant yet.  First you must know what is stalling the OS.
                                    The solution comes later.

sunnykatt

Topic Starter

Rookie
                                      « Reply #24 on: July 05, 2009, 12:27:52 PM »
                                      Things are getting too technical for me now.  Can't find the name of my hard drive.  I have the system information on the screen, but don't know how to get it to you guys.  Kathy
                                      Kathy

Broni

Mastermind
                                        • Computer Help Forum
                                      « Reply #25 on: July 05, 2009, 12:31:57 PM »
                                      Go Start>Run, type in:
                                      devmgmt.msc
                                      Click OK.

Device Manager will open.
                                      Look under "Disk drives".
                                      What name is listed there?

BTW, have you ever made those changes through HijackThis?

sunnykatt

Topic Starter

Rookie
                                        « Reply #26 on: July 05, 2009, 12:40:38 PM »
                                        Yes, I did make the changes.  I have

ST3300831AS which is think is the C drive, the main one
                                        Seagate FreeAgent USB Device is the new external
                                        HP Photosmart 3310 USB Device - printer
                                        Generic USB CF Reader USB Device
                                        Generic USB MS Reader USB Device
                                        Generic USB SC Reader USB Device
                                        Generic USB SM Reader USB Device

I've been watching the explorer thing the other guy wrote about and the one program that is running that shows CPU activity which the computer freezes is DISCGUI.exe and DISCUpdateMgr.Exe, DiscStreamHub.exe.  They are with Digital Internactive Systems Corp., Inc.

I don't know what it's used for.  Thanks. Kathy
                                        Kathy

sunnykatt

Topic Starter

Rookie
                                          « Reply #27 on: July 05, 2009, 12:43:01 PM »
                                          I just noticed all those files I listed are under DISCover.exe, DISCover Drop & Play System Executable.  K
                                          Kathy

Broni

Mastermind
                                            • Computer Help Forum
                                          « Reply #28 on: July 05, 2009, 12:44:36 PM »
                                          You have Seagate HD.
                                          From my link, download...
                                          SeaTools for DOS v2.13b (Graphical) (12.16.2008)
                                          - Download SeaTools for DOS (ISO CD-ROM Image)

Use ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/ to burn .iso file to a CD, and make the CD bootable.
                                          Boot from the CD to run the test.

sunnykatt

Topic Starter

Rookie
                                            « Reply #29 on: July 05, 2009, 12:45:08 PM »
                                            Here's a new report

Kathy

Broni

Mastermind
                                              • Computer Help Forum
                                            « Reply #30 on: July 05, 2009, 12:46:30 PM »
                                            Process Explorer looks fine.

BTW, have you ever made those changes through HijackThis?

sunnykatt

Topic Starter

Rookie
                                              « Reply #31 on: July 05, 2009, 12:56:53 PM »
                                              Sorry, I don't see a link to SeaTools. Kathy
                                              Kathy

sunnykatt

Topic Starter

Rookie
                                                « Reply #32 on: July 05, 2009, 12:57:38 PM »
                                                Yes I made the changes through Hijack.
                                                Kathy

Broni

Mastermind
                                                  • Computer Help Forum

sunnykatt

Topic Starter

Rookie
                                                  « Reply #34 on: July 05, 2009, 01:12:22 PM »
                                                  When you say make it bootable, where do I click to do that??
                                                  Kathy

Broni

Mastermind
                                                    • Computer Help Forum
                                                  « Reply #35 on: July 05, 2009, 01:15:26 PM »
                                                  Just use ImgBurn, and it'll make the CD bootable. Nothing extra to click on.

sunnykatt

Topic Starter

Rookie
                                                    « Reply #36 on: July 05, 2009, 01:21:36 PM »
                                                    Must have done something wrong.  All I have is the text file telling me what to do.  Kathy
                                                    Kathy

Broni

Mastermind
                                                      • Computer Help Forum
                                                    « Reply #37 on: July 05, 2009, 01:32:21 PM »
                                                    Since I'm not there, I have no idea at what point of the entire process you're at.

sunnykatt

Topic Starter

Rookie
                                                      « Reply #38 on: July 05, 2009, 01:34:21 PM »
                                                      Okay, I think I have it done, except that when I look at the CD, it says there's nothing there.  Kathy
                                                      Kathy

Broni

Mastermind
                                                        • Computer Help Forum
                                                      « Reply #39 on: July 05, 2009, 01:37:19 PM »
                                                      Since I'm not there, I have no idea at what point of the entire process you're at.

sunnykatt

Topic Starter

Rookie
                                                        « Reply #40 on: July 05, 2009, 01:38:14 PM »
                                                        Okay, it shows Seagate (E:) with folder for FreeDOS, the a zip file for ke2035asrc.  Kathy
                                                        Kathy

sunnykatt

Topic Starter

Rookie
                                                          « Reply #41 on: July 05, 2009, 01:39:47 PM »
                                                          We've gotten this far, but I have to leave the house for a few hours.  I'll be back after 7 p.m.  Sorry.  Kathy
                                                          Kathy

Broni

Mastermind
                                                            • Computer Help Forum
                                                          « Reply #42 on: July 05, 2009, 01:47:59 PM »
                                                          I don't think, you really followed my manual (post #28).

Tell me what exactly you did.
                                                          Step by step.

sunnykatt

Topic Starter

Rookie
                                                            « Reply #43 on: July 05, 2009, 02:05:45 PM »
                                                            Okay, I'm back for a few minutes before I have to leave. I made the boot CD.  I restarted my computer, but it stops a a point where I have to click on "I accept"  (this is from Seagage) but the mouse won't work, the keyboard won't work, so I can get no further.  Kathy
                                                            Kathy

Broni

Mastermind
                                                              • Computer Help Forum
                                                            « Reply #44 on: July 05, 2009, 02:08:14 PM »
                                                            What type of mouse do you have? PS/2, USB, wireless?

sunnykatt

Topic Starter

Rookie
                                                              « Reply #45 on: July 05, 2009, 02:09:03 PM »
                                                              PS/2
                                                              Kathy

Broni

Mastermind
                                                                • Computer Help Forum
                                                              « Reply #46 on: July 05, 2009, 02:12:17 PM »
                                                              That's weird.
                                                              You restarted computer.
                                                              You saw "Press any key to boot from CD".
                                                              You pressed some key, and Seagate kicked in, correct?

sunnykatt

Topic Starter

Rookie
                                                                « Reply #47 on: July 05, 2009, 02:16:09 PM »
                                                                Nope.  Put bootable CD in drive. Turned off computer. Turned computer on.  It started up, had some new quick fleeting messages across the top, then a screen for Seagate asking that I "Accept" and couldn't go from there.  K
                                                                Kathy

Broni

Mastermind
                                                                  • Computer Help Forum
                                                                « Reply #48 on: July 05, 2009, 02:18:20 PM »
                                                                Try again.

sunnykatt

Topic Starter

Rookie
                                                                  « Reply #49 on: July 05, 2009, 02:31:59 PM »
                                                                  Same thing happened. It's the license agreement for Seatools.  I'll try again later.  Sorry to be so troublesome.  Kathy
                                                                  Kathy

Broni

Mastermind
                                                                  • Thanked: 614
                                                                    • Computer Help Forum
                                                                  • OS: Windows 8
                                                                  « Reply #50 on: July 05, 2009, 02:38:01 PM »
                                                                  Don't worry about it.