Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Sudden FPS drops!  (Read 4132 times)

Mahin

Topic Starter

Starter

Sudden FPS drops!
    « on: July 02, 2009, 06:30:12 PM »
    Hello there ComputerHope-people!  :)

Im somewhat of a hardcore gamer, I tend to play quite a lot, but ever since a couple of years ago, I have had this strange issue.
    I thought that I'd first of all post my computer specs:
    Asus P6T Deluxe X58
    Intel Core i7 2.66GHz
    Nvidia GeForce 8800GTX with a Thermaltake heatsink and fan on it for extra cooling, as it was overheating with it's stock cooler.
    3 x 1GB Corsair PC3-12800 RAM
    And old 320GB HDD and a newer 180GB SATA drive
    I can't remember what PSU im using, but it's 580W, and it's just as new as the motherboard and CPU.
    Im running a dualview setup with two monitors, and old 19", and a new 24" Samsung 245b.

Basicly the previous computer I had worked okay fine. Sure it was getting a bit slow on it's old age, but it was a fairly powerful computer. The only problem was that you could play, and suddenly the FPS would drop to a 5-15fps for no reason. This is most noticable when I play WoW. In bigger places, when I look out, I have 10-20 frames, but if I just look down sliiightly, it pops up to 60, which is max with the screen im using.
    Now you think that it's just because it's a vast open space, and that's why it's lagging, even though im sure that my computer should be powerful enough to pull it, as I know people with far weaker computers, doing better FPS than me.
    But then strange thing is, that is does it in smaller games aswell. Like Left 4 Dead, Call of Duty 4, Trine. Stuff like that, which is should be able to run with no problems. I can play with 60fps and no problems, and suddenly: BAM! 10-20fps.. I can then play around and sometimes it pops back up all of the sudden. Doesn't really make any sense. I have monitored GPU and CPU temperatures and load while it does this, and it shouldn't really do it. Lots of memory left, my CPU only uses like.. 5%, and my GPU is at the same levels as before it did it.
    I then changed my computer to the specs it has now, where the only thing that survived from the old computer, was the HDD's and the GPU. My personal guess is that it's the GPU that is dying on me, it is faily old, and it's the only thing not changed. I have tried closing down all background processes, which doesn't help. I have tried formatting my computer, which doesn't help. So in the end, im just *censored* tired of everything. I bought a new computer because I wanted to play the better games really well, but this nonsense makes it not-enjoyable. I really hope you can help me. I will answer any questions as fast as possible, in case you have any.

Thanks in advance
    -Mahin

Mulreay

Re: Sudden FPS drops!
    « Reply #1 on: July 02, 2009, 07:28:57 PM »
    I have to agree with you Mahin. I can't think of anything else. You say it overheated in the past until you changed the cooling system. Could the original overheat have effected it, age maybe? Your RAM and processing is obviously up to scratch... so?

Mahin

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2009, 03:29:41 AM »
      Well, it overheated to the point where the screen would simply die, two times, before I actually realized what was happening, but those GPUs should be rather durable heatwise.
      I remember it clearly. Some time ago, just after I assembled the computer before this one, I had 120-150 FPS in WoW, but suddenly one day, it dropped significantly. (I didn't blame my computer then, because it was the same day as a big patch.)

But yeah, it's probably my GPU that is too old now. :)

Mulreay

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2009, 05:51:09 AM »
      But yeah, it's probably my GPU that is too old now. :)

I have to agree.   Let us know how you get on mate. ;)