Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: XP install prob after Vista delete.  (Read 2539 times)

Funkykev

Topic Starter

Rookie

XP install prob after Vista delete.
    « on: July 03, 2009, 02:35:40 AM »
    System:  Gateway Laptop ML3109 Vista (32-bit)

Vista is a resource hog, even with 2GB RAM and streamlining on this system.  Decided to do the smart thing and go with XP.  Successfully'deleted' Vista to allow XP disc to load/install.  Went through all the obligatory setup steps for partitions and the rest and the install ran all the way through to the end...apparently successfully. 

BOTTOM LINE:  Despite a few fiddles here and there in the BIOS (I changed them, changed them back, and even loaded defaults)...I get the XP splash, etc, then a FULL blue screen loaded with text almost from top to bottom.  Problem is that this 'error/problem' blue screen lasts all of 1 second, if that.  I can't capture or read the text of this screen so I dunno what it says.

THE CATCH?  Methinks it's because I'm using a factory Dell XP disc to try to install on a Gateway system.  True?  If I'm right, is there a fix or a trick-out so I can pull this off?  And don't worry, this is a real, registered XP disc from one of our unused desktops.  3 people here.  3 desktops.  Only need 2 desktops.  Other one has been mothballed for a year.  Many thanks in advance.  Peace.

Kevin

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: XP install prob after Vista delete.
    « Reply #1 on: July 03, 2009, 05:31:03 AM »
    I'm using a factory Dell XP disc to try to install on a Gateway system. 

This is definitely the source of your issues....
    You can borrow an XP CD to install legally as long as the version and Service Packs match.
    Have you DLoaded all the XP drivers for that machine ? ?
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Funkykev

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2009, 03:47:08 PM »
      He-heh!  Yes, the drivers.  That was a big sticking point for this machine.  I believe I have all of them.  Most of them anyway.   Having a problem logging onto some FTP sites that won't even work with the anonymous logon.  I assumed the install of XP THEN the drivers afterwards, right?

And would you elaborate on your "borrow" an XP disc statement, please.  You mean it's legal to borrow a generic/nonspecific XP disc to overcome this problem so long as I have a bought copy?  Many thanks.

Kevin

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #3 on: July 03, 2009, 04:24:26 PM »
      Absolutely...
      If the machine has for example a valid registration for let's say XPPro with SP2 then that's the CD you need...
      The install should go first....followed by the install of all the appropiate Drivers (MBoard Chipset always first) then following Windows activation and Windows Update...

Hope this helps....

PS;  Make sure it is an official XP CD...
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Funkykev

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2009, 01:14:32 AM »
        So there's no easy DIY 'hack' for my problem?  MS and the major manufacturers are that smart???   ;D

So, get a retail version and then do the drivers and I'm golden, right?  Sounds like it.  OH!!  What about the keycode or reg # or whatever?  This won't matter?  And future updates?

Beyond what you said before, what are your recommendations as far as priority on installing the drivers?  Thanks yet again.

Kevin