Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer turns off Random  (Read 5352 times)

David1

Topic Starter

Rookie
    Computer turns off Random
    « on: July 03, 2009, 07:56:48 PM »
    hi ,
    i have a issue on my computer.
    while on it playing a game or using word. it will turn off, the power fan is still on and power light still on but my screen is off and hdd light is off.

I try pressing the turn off button but will not work.
    so i press the reset button.
    it restarts but the screen still stays off but this time the hdd light stays on.
    pressing reset button will repeat last stage.
    the only way is to turn it off from the wall to fix it.
    then if i turn it back on it will work.

can anyone please help me..

in case anyone wants to know my computer info is.
    (about 7 years old)
    Intel p4 2.4ghzs
    512 ram
    2 160g hdd
    1 DVD burner
    mec 400w power supply
    nvida gforce 4 mx 440

any info will be helpful please email me.
    Thanks
    David
    « Last Edit: July 03, 2009, 08:21:26 PM by David1 »

Broni

Mastermind
    • Kraków my love :)
      • Computer Help Forum
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Computer turns off Random
    « Reply #1 on: July 03, 2009, 09:22:54 PM »
    Download, and install SpeedFan: http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php
    Post your computer temperatures:

Post two sets of results, while computer idle, and while gaming.

globaltel

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2009, 08:54:03 AM »
      You have not told us if you have been having some signs of malfunction, before this happened. Try to connect the same monitor to another CPU first and observe.
      Or contact _____________.com
      « Last Edit: July 04, 2009, 09:20:37 AM by patio »

David1

Topic Starter

Rookie
        « Reply #3 on: July 04, 2009, 09:20:07 PM »
        i am using the software that came with the motherboard called pc probe.

my cpu is running at 30c
        M/B 25c
        and fans are

there is not trouble with the fans or temp.. or screen.

the computer just turns off. as i have explained.
        i went to computer experts and they say it could be..
        Power supply
        Hard drive damage
        virus.

i have checked for virus's and bad sectors for hard drive and found no problems
        i think it is the power supply i just wanted to know from any of you if this is correct.

i went on the computer last night and had no problems.. as this is random
        i have read in one of the forms that if you have to turn the power off from the wall to make the computer boot correct it is the power supply.

David1

Topic Starter

Rookie
          « Reply #4 on: July 04, 2009, 09:21:38 PM »
          i will also download that program as well..
          thanks

Broni

Mastermind
            • Computer Help Forum
          « Reply #5 on: July 04, 2009, 09:29:23 PM »
          Download HijackThis:
          http://www.trendsecure.com/portal/en-US/tools/security_tools/hijackthis/download
          by clicking on Download HijackThis Installer
          Install, and run it.
          Post HijackTHis log.
          Do NOT attempt to fix anything!

NOTE. If you're using Vista, right click on HijackThis, and click Run as Administrator

David1

Topic Starter

Rookie
            « Reply #6 on: July 04, 2009, 09:36:13 PM »
            by the way i am running win xp SP2
            this have been going on for 2 weeks.
            some days perfect when i burn movies or play games.
            some days even reading resume or idle goes bad

westom

Intermediate

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2009, 06:21:52 AM »
              i went to computer experts and they say it could be..
              Power supply
              Hard drive damage
              virus.

It’s an Intel CPU.  Heat would never create your symptoms.  Hard drive could even be removed and the system would do same.  Virus is complete nonsense hyped by those who fear.

According to your description (which is confused by the fact that you can execute PC Probe), you machine will not even boot.  Or is it actually booting but not always running properly?

Anybody that says it could be a power supply is only speculating for the same reason others  will accused the hard drive, motherboard, power switch, and a long list of other irrelevant parts.  You need a multimeter.  And will now find post full of attack from the many without technical knowledge.

Measure voltages where power supply wires connect to the motherboard by probing those wires inside the white nylon connector.  30 seconds to get numbers.  No need to have any idea what those numbers mean.  The next reply tells you - without doubt - whether the entire power supply system (not just a power supply) is good or defective.  Want definitive answerers?  Then get or borrow a meter.  A less than $18 tool even sold in Wal-Mart or in most stores that also sell hammers.

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
                • Yes
                • Yes
                • Yes
              • Certifications: List
              • Experience: Guru
              « Reply #8 on: July 05, 2009, 07:04:52 AM »
              If you don't want to go poking inside your machine with a multimeter or don't want to purchase a multimeter, the HijackThis log will suffice for now.

westom

Intermediate

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2009, 08:00:19 AM »
                If you don't want to go poking inside your machine with a multimeter or don't want to purchase a multimeter, the HijackThis log will suffice for now.
                  HigjackThis cannot report any of the useful numbers.  But then any kid can touch wires with those probes and never cause any problems.  Just locate problems that HijackThis will never identify.

jimbo8098

Beginner

« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2009, 08:14:48 AM »
                  hmm seems strange...

Have a look in your task manager and see whats running in the processes tab ... just look over them and remember names (or try) then if the comp shuts down again try and remeber the processes running...

There may be some kind of error with your programs running which do not like your os or settings... Your power supply does seem sufficient for such a system but your graphics card is pretty old and its drivers MAY (i repeat MAY) cause a confusion in your system...

You could also try looking in your device driver for conflicts , shown by yellow symbols...

Hope this helps ;)

I am currently working for clicknetworks IT Support. Please feel free to visit our site at http://www.clicknetworks.co.uk

David1

Topic Starter

Rookie
                    « Reply #11 on: July 06, 2009, 12:04:24 AM »
                    thanks all for your input.
                    here are some pictures you all asked for.

And here is Hijack this Report
                    ogfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
                    Scan saved at 5:12:58 PM, on 5/07/2009
                    Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
                    MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)
                    Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
                    C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
                    C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
                    C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
                    C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
                    C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
                    C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
                    C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
                    C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
                    C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgwdsvc.exe
                    C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\mscorsvw.exe
                    C:\WINDOWS\htpatch.exe
                    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VS7DEBUG\mdm.exe
                    C:\Program Files\MusicMatch\MusicMatch Jukebox\mmtask.exe
                    C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgtray.exe
                    C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
                    C:\WINDOWS\system32\rundll32.exe
                    C:\WINDOWS\System32\nvsvc32.exe
                    C:\Program Files\Analog Devices\SoundMAX\SMAgent.exe
                    C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgemc.exe
                    C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgrsx.exe
                    C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgnsx.exe
                    C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG8\avgcsrvx.exe
                    C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
                    D:\New Folder (2)\HijackThis.exe

R3 - URLSearchHook: AVG Security Toolbar BHO - {A3BC75A2-1F87-4686-AA43-5347D756017C} - C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG8\Toolbar\IEToolbar.dll
                    R3 - URLSearchHook: (no name) - *{CFBFAE00-17A6-11D0-99CB-00C04FD64497} - (no file)
                    O2 - BHO: WormRadar.com IESiteBlocker.NavFilter - {3CA2F312-6F6E-4B53-A66E-4E65E497C8C0} - C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG8\avgssie.dll
                    O2 - BHO: AVG Security Toolbar BHO - {A3BC75A2-1F87-4686-AA43-5347D756017C} - C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG8\Toolbar\IEToolbar.dll
                    O3 - Toolbar: AVG Security Toolbar - {CCC7A320-B3CA-4199-B1A6-9F516DD69829} - C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG8\Toolbar\IEToolbar.dll
                    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\System32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
                    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [nwiz] nwiz.exe /install
                    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [anvshell] anvshell.exe
                    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [liveNote] livenote.exe
                    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HTpatch] C:\WINDOWS\htpatch.exe
                    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NeroFilterCheck] C:\WINDOWS\system32\NeroCheck.exe
                    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvMediaCenter] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\System32\NvMcTray.dll,NvTaskbarInit
                    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [mmtask] c:\Program Files\MusicMatch\MusicMatch Jukebox\mmtask.exe
                    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ASUS Probe] C:\Program Files\ASUS\Probe\AsusProb.exe
                    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG8_TRAY] C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgtray.exe
                    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
                    O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\Run: [CTFMON.EXE] C:\WINDOWS\System32\CTFMON.EXE (User 'LOCAL SERVICE')
                    O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-20\..\Run: [CTFMON.EXE] C:\WINDOWS\System32\CTFMON.EXE (User 'NETWORK SERVICE')
                    O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-18\..\Run: [CTFMON.EXE] C:\WINDOWS\System32\CTFMON.EXE (User 'SYSTEM')
                    O4 - HKUS\.DEFAULT\..\Run: [CTFMON.EXE] C:\WINDOWS\System32\CTFMON.EXE (User 'Default user')
                    O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office12\EXCEL.EXE/3000
                    O9 - Extra button: Send to OneNote - {2670000A-7350-4f3c-8081-5663EE0C6C49} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office12\ONBttnIE.dll
                    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: S&end to OneNote - {2670000A-7350-4f3c-8081-5663EE0C6C49} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office12\ONBttnIE.dll
                    O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office12\REFIEBAR.DLL
                    O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
                    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
                    O18 - Protocol: linkscanner - {F274614C-63F8-47D5-A4D1-FBDDE494F8D1} - C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG8\avgpp.dll
                    O20 - Winlogon Notify: avgrsstarter - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\avgrsstx.dll
                    O23 - Service: AVG Free8 E-mail Scanner (avg8emc) - AVG Technologies CZ, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgemc.exe
                    O23 - Service: AVG Free8 WatchDog (avg8wd) - AVG Technologies CZ, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgwdsvc.exe
                    O23 - Service: NVIDIA Display Driver Service (NVSvc) - NVIDIA Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\System32\nvsvc32.exe
                    O23 - Service: SoundMAX Agent Service (SoundMAX Agent Service (default)) - Analog Devices, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Analog Devices\SoundMAX\SMAgent.exe

--
                    End of file - 4228 bytes

i have checked for conflicts and display drivers and are all right.
                    the only thing i can think of is the power supply.
                    i will check it will a multi-metre.
                    is there a proper way to check the power suppy with this

[attachment deleted by admin]

westom

Intermediate

« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2009, 07:04:53 AM »
                      the only thing i can think of is the power supply.
                      i will check it will a multi-metre.
                      is there a proper way to check the power suppy with this
                      I did not see reference to it. Did you also review the system (event) log for problems?  OS detects problems, logs the report, then works around them.  Those problem remain in the log until you are ready to study them.

Multimeter is set to 20 VDC.  Connect black probe to the chassis.  Touch red probe to supply wires where they connect to the motherboard.  Simply push that probe into the white nylon connector.  Then read the number.

First number is voltage on the purple wire.  That must exceed 4.87 volts.    Record that number.  Notice it exists whether computer is on or off.

Next read voltages on the green and gray wires before and when the power switch is pressed.  Also note how those voltages respond as the switch is pressed.

And finally, get computer to multitask to every peripheral possible.  IOW make the load greater.  Play complex graphics (ie a movie) while downloading from the Internet, while searching the hard drive, while playing a CD and outputting sound loud, when some USB device is connected, while …   Now the supply has a high load.  Now record voltages on any one of purple, red, orange, and yellow wires.  Those four voltages must exceed 3.23, 4.87, and 11.7.  Also report those numbers because those numbers contain other information.

With those numbers, we will know if the entire supply ‘system’ is good or bad.  With information from those numbers, you either know exactly what must be fixed or replaced, OR you know what is ‘definitively’ good – to move on to other suspects – and never look back.  Those numbers are that definitive.

Broni

Mastermind
                        • Computer Help Forum
                      « Reply #13 on: July 06, 2009, 04:03:06 PM »
                      HJT log looks fine.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
                      • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
                        • Yes
                        • Yes
                        • BC-Programming.com
                      • Experience: Beginner
                      « Reply #14 on: July 06, 2009, 05:46:08 PM »
                      westom, would testing the power via a multimeter, only either confirm or eliminate the PSU as the cause? How does one know, for example, that a hard drive/expansion card/etc is defective via this method, when the molex that powers it checks out via the multimeter?

really, it just eliminates the PSU as the cause of issues (as far as I can tell); I am simply curious how, once the PSU as a cause is eliminated this process can be used with the other components.

I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

patio

• Genius
                      • Maud' Dib
                        • Yes
                      « Reply #15 on: July 06, 2009, 05:59:28 PM »
                      Actually testing a PSU with a multimeter is an exercise in futility because of the simple fact it does not re-produce the conditions of a PSU under load.....
                      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
                        • Yes
                        • Yes
                        • BC-Programming.com
                      « Reply #16 on: July 06, 2009, 06:18:43 PM »
                      But, I believe, that is what westom is suggesting; to get it under load.

I'm curious how this technique can find problems with other components aside the PSU.

westom

Intermediate

« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2009, 10:55:11 PM »
                        Actually testing a PSU with a multimeter is an exercise in futility because of the simple fact it does not re-produce the conditions of a PSU under load.....

How does a power supply in a computer with all peripherals active not create a power supply load?  A best load that a power supply could be tested with also means nothing internal is moved, disconnected, or changed.

No better test of a power supply exists short of the thousands of dollar test station we would use. Best test is when the supply is until heaviest load.  Does anyone have that $thousands in test equipment?  Obviously the meter is the next best solution.   Once the OP provides those numbers, then facts will exist.  Currently not even one fact says what has failed - why that computer does not even power on.  Without those meter readings, what would you have him do?  Keep replacing parts on wild speculation until something works?

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
                          • Yes
                          • Yes
                          • BC-Programming.com
                        « Reply #18 on: July 06, 2009, 11:51:51 PM »
                        westom, Patio misunderstood your post. You certainly recommend testing it under load; Patio must have believed you meant to have this test performed when the PSU is unconnected from the PC load.

westom

Intermediate

« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2009, 03:30:25 PM »
                          Patio misunderstood your post. You certainly recommend testing it under load; Patio must have believed you meant to have this test performed when the PSU is unconnected from the PC load.
                            I thought he might have been making that mistake.  No load testing is also why power supply testers are so close to useless.  It can report a defective supply.  But it cannot report a supply as good.  A power supply tester can easily report a defective supply as good because the test is conducted without load.

How does the meter verify all components of a power supply 'system'?  Nothing is moved, disconnected, or modified.  Best test is a system accessing every peripheral simultaneously (multitasking).  Then any defect in that system is made obvious by multimeter numbers.

A defective power supply can even boot a computer.  Only way to find that defect before it causes problems tomorrow or next year - mulitmeter numbers when supply is fully loaded.

David1

Topic Starter

Rookie
                            « Reply #20 on: July 08, 2009, 12:12:30 AM »
                            hey guys
                            today i was on the computer and i think i have a break though.
                            i look in the power supply and found no problems but when i was using it i ran a movie and skipped it fowards and back and the whole computer turned of.
                            i tried to press the power button but it didn't work.
                            even 2 min later.
                            i had to turn it of then back on from the wall to get it working.
                            i read in other forms that if you have to do this it is the power supply..

What do you guys think.
                            POWER SUPPLY)

westom

Intermediate

« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2009, 08:13:46 AM »
                              i had to turn it of then back on from the wall to get it working.
                              i

Power supply controller has a protective lockout function that is cleared only by disconnecting power from the wall.  Power supply controller is separate from the power supply.  Your symptoms do not point to any facts; are only symptoms.  Again, without the meter, nobody can provide a definitive answer.  Your symptom points to maybe five different suspect - all of which were on the suspect list long ago.

If you want a definitive answer, numbers are required.  That means a meter. No way around that need for numbers.  Otherwise do what those others did.  Just keep replacing parts until symptoms disappear.  Shotgunning may cure the problem or cure symptoms.

patio

• Genius
                              • Maud' Dib
                                • Yes
                              « Reply #22 on: July 08, 2009, 06:41:42 PM »
                              Borrow a known good PSU of the same or greater wattage and swap it in there...
                              This should only take an overnite test to find out if it's the issue....
                              " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

David1

Topic Starter

Rookie
                                « Reply #23 on: July 09, 2009, 09:45:38 PM »
                                where is this power supply controller?
                                also for $45 i am going to buy a thermalt power supply 430w

westom

Intermediate

« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2009, 07:10:53 AM »
                                  where is this power supply controller?
                                  also for $45 i am going to buy a thermalt power supply 430w
                                     Because the market is so full of consumers who only understand watts and dollars, supplies are often dumped into that market missing essential functions.  A minimally acceptable supply is about $60 retail.  That does not mean a supply selling at $60 has all functions.    But one way to take even higher profits is to forget some essential functions and sell at that lower price.  Power supplies that are missing essential functions will still boot a computer.

Power supply controller is learned by using the meter.   Don't use the meter; then don't learn.

Does a new supply work?  A defective supply can still boot a computer.  Responsible techs confirm that new power supply by taking 30 seconds using a multimeter.

David1

Topic Starter

Rookie
                                    « Reply #25 on: July 11, 2009, 04:16:25 AM »
                                    hi
                                    i brought the thermalte 430w power supply for $45
                                    i thought if this doesn't help i at least have a spare power supply.
                                    so far it works great no problems.
                                    i have put games on it and done pretty much everything.
                                    for about 5 hours
                                    ofcause time will tell if this is it.
                                    the old power unit was a cheap one MEC 400w
                                    everything on it just look cheap so even if me buying this unit didn't help i can but it in another computer.
                                    i will monitor the computer very closely and if any problems occur i will let you all know.
                                    thanks all again.
                                    i will send a reply back in about 1 week or 2, to tell you how it went. if this happends to you.