Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Home Desktop paralyzed after virus attack.  (Read 2580 times)

jason.lee

Topic Starter

Starter

Home Desktop paralyzed after virus attack.
    « on: July 04, 2009, 07:23:24 PM »
    Hello new member here. Since I really didn't see a place to introduce myself, I will here.

So my name is Jason Lee and I am a college student in southern california. I am not to experienced with computers but I know enough to get me around.

So my latest problem is that my desktop has been recently attacked by some virus thanks to my big sister's usb drive. (It was infected until I told her)

I manage to manually delete the virus but i don't know what to do to fix the damage that the virus has caused.

I have a window xp professional with SP3 and starts up fine and everything looks normal except now it says "qcdeem.exe has a problem and needs to close" popup comes up at start-up along with "Notification dll has not been registered, program will not work correctly." popup.

The next few problems I will just list:

-Window xp went from the blue XP theme to the classic theme.
    -Taskbar's quick link disappeared.
    -Internet (wireless) does not connect anymore.
    -Files can not be moved at all, so no click and drag, no copy paste, no send to..., but you could still physically see the files.
    -Some programs will not work or won't even come up including my antivirus, antispyware programs, window media player and such.

I think that's about it, there could be more.

As far as I can tell I believe this computer is doomed so I am planning to wipe the hard drive and reinstall windows and drivers.

But before I can do that I wish to extract some documents, my music, my internet browser;s bookmark from the computer but so far I find it to be impossible since internet doesn't work and I cannot move the files at all.

So how do I move the files? Any suggestion?

Also in case you are wondering, I am using my laptop right now and I have a external hard drive which I can use to store the files in.

Thanks so much.

-Jason

Broni

Mastermind
    • Kraków my love :)
      • Computer Help Forum
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Home Desktop paralyzed after virus attack.
    « Reply #1 on: July 04, 2009, 09:38:42 PM »

jason.lee

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2009, 10:25:36 PM »
      Thanks for the reply but I want to know how i could move my files so that I may wipe my hard drive.

Also even if there are any malware/viruses and what not in my other computer I don't think I could remove them since most of my programs including my antivirus and my antispyware are disabled and won't function as i stated in my first post.

Also my internet is not working for my other computer so I don't think I could download anything either.

I just want to know how to get my folders to move again.

Thanks

Jason

Broni

Mastermind
        • Computer Help Forum
      « Reply #3 on: July 04, 2009, 10:40:08 PM »
      You can slave the drive in another computer, or buy USB hard drive enclosure.

jason.lee

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2009, 10:41:33 PM »
        thanks i'll try that.

Jason

Broni

Mastermind
          • Computer Help Forum
        « Reply #5 on: July 04, 2009, 10:44:45 PM »
        Sure thing :)

JJ 3000

Egghead
        • Experience: Familiar
        « Reply #6 on: July 04, 2009, 11:02:38 PM »
        If you slave that hard drive and try to move your stuff onto another computer, you will most likely infect the other computer. Make sure that, after you have that drive hooked up to another working machine, you scan it with an anitivirus program before you start moving the files.
        Save a Life!
        Adopt a homeless pet.
        http://www.petfinder.com/