Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Boot Ini file gone walkies  (Read 2047 times)

willythecat

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• Experience: Beginner
    Boot Ini file gone walkies
    « on: July 06, 2009, 03:40:25 PM »
    Powered on the computer on Sunday, and all of my security program icons together with about another 7 random ones had been removed from the desktop.
    Couldn't log into the internet either as the files had been corrupted. It's taken me over a day to get back the system to some kind of working format.
    Found out that the programs were still actually there, so restored the desktop lcons. Internet had to be totally reinstalled. It doesn't work in the same way as before, but at least l have access and will probably do another post later.
    I've now run all security scans and an HJT log has been ok'd by Evilfantasy, so it wasn't a virus as l had first thought.
    Tried a system restore, but it wouldn't let me do this for any day prior to Sunday.
    Now when l boot up the system l get a message saying "Invalid boot.ini file booting from c:\windows\"
    Did a search for boot.ini and the only file it found was "boot.ini.backup" contained in the path c:\windows\pss The contents of that file are
    [boot loader]
    timeout=30
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn
    Does this seem ok and is it in the right directory (pss). If so, how do l now get this into a working boot.in file?

Dusty

Egghead

• I could if she would, but she won't so I don't.
    Re: Boot Ini file gone walkies
    « Reply #1 on: July 06, 2009, 03:50:58 PM »
    Copy the Boot.ini.backup file you found to the root of C: as Boot.ini and you should be back to normal as far as boot.ini is concerned.

As you've found the absence of a boot.ini file does not prevent the system from booting provided that a valid OS is found in C:\Windows\  (or C:\Winnt\ in Win 2k).

Good luck.
    One good deed is worth more than a year of good intentions.

willythecat

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2009, 04:06:20 PM »
      Thanks Dusty.
      Not being too tecnically minded, l copied the file to C:\ and renamed it as "boot.ini" whereby the icon changed from a program icon to that of a notepad icon with a cog wheel on it.
      Doesn't seem right to me?

willythecat

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2009, 04:26:47 PM »
        Strike that last post out Dusty.
        It does work, it's just that the icon is different from the backup icon l was used.
        All is now well, thanks

Dusty

Egghead

• I could if she would, but she won't so I don't.
        « Reply #4 on: July 06, 2009, 07:23:55 PM »
        Thanks for coming back to report your success.

Suggest that you make the C:\Boot.ini file Read Only by browsing to it, Right Click it and select Properties.  Check the Read Only box and click Apply then OK.

D.
        One good deed is worth more than a year of good intentions.