Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Rule of Thumb for Power Supply Capacity?  (Read 7755 times)

jmoores

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

Rule of Thumb for Power Supply Capacity?
    « on: July 05, 2009, 01:22:55 PM »
    Hi All,  I'm doing a new build using an old server case...  this is my first build in about 5 years, so I'm a bit rusty on compatibility.  The components below are what I'm looking at, but I'm not sure how much power I'll need?  Or how many case fans?  I'll be using Vista Home premium.

3 Questions -

1) Is there a rule of thumb that I can use to figure out what I need (other than more is better).  BTW, I'm retired so I'm trying to do this for about $500 - $600 max excluding the monitor.  Also, is there a rule of thumb for how many case cooling fans I'll need?

2)  Do I need a 500W or a 650W or more to run the configuration below

3) How many case fans will I need.

Asus P5Q Motherboard / CPU Bundle - Intel P45, Socket 775, ATX, PCI Express 2.0, Gbit LAN, SATA, Intel Core 2 Duo E8200 Processor, 2.66GHz
    -or-
    Asus M4N78 Pro GeForce 8300 Motherboard w/ AMD Phenom X4 9600 Quad Core Processor HD9600WCGDBOX Bundle

EVGA GeForce 9400 GT Video Card - 1GB DDR2, PCI Express 2.0, (Dual Link) Dual DVI, HDTV, S-Video, VGA Support
    -or-
    EVGA GeForce 9500 GT Video Card - 1GB DDR2, PCI Express 2.0, SLI Support, (Dual Link) Dual DVI, HDTV, VGA Support

Corsair XMS2 4GB PC6400 DDR2 800MHz Memory Upgrade - 2x2048MB

Western Digital Caviar Green WD10EADS Hard Drive - 1TB, 32MB, SATA-300, OEM

(DVD Burner is an older model that is in the old case.)

DiabloTek PHD550 550-Watt Power Supply - ATX, SATA Ready, PCIe Ready, 20+4 Pin
    -or-
    Apevia Java 650-Watt Black Power Supply - 120mm UV Blue Fan

Thanks for any help that you can give me.  I'll take a recommendation on the power supply, but I would much prefer to have the rule of thumb on how to calculate the power requirements.  I would also appreciate the rule of thumb on how to calculate the case fan requirements.    :D

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Rule of Thumb for Power Supply Capacity?
    « Reply #1 on: July 05, 2009, 01:37:36 PM »
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Broni

Mastermind
    • Kraków my love :)
      • Computer Help Forum
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #2 on: July 05, 2009, 01:45:37 PM »
    Nice link :)

jmoores

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2009, 03:52:10 PM »
      Thanks patio for posting this link...  However, when I click on the link, it opens a new tab and waits there busy with nothing showing in the new tab's window.  I left it for 15 mins just in case the website was busy, but no results.   Is there an alternate site? ???

computeruler

Egghead

• Yes
        • Yes
      « Reply #4 on: July 05, 2009, 07:23:24 PM »
      http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp
      now we need a budget so we can help you choose what to get.  We also need to know what you are doing with your computer.  With the stuff you listed I think 500w would be fine.  It might be better to get 600 though incase you decide to upgrade something like your graphics card.  I would not recommend any of those power supplies listed.

xavier

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2009, 07:24:08 PM »
      If the site wont come up >google powersupplycalculator

jmoores

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2009, 05:47:25 AM »
        The link http://www.journeysystems.com/?power_supply_calculator is being recreated...

Welcome to the Journey Systems Power Supply Calculator.

OUR POWER SUPPLY CALCULATOR IS BEING RECREATED. WE ARE HOPING TO INCLUDE MUCH OF THE ITEMS THAT ARE MISSING RIGHT NOW. PLEASE BE PATIENT. GOOD THINGS COME TO THOSE WHO WAIT!

jmoores

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2009, 06:06:56 AM »
          http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp
          now we need a budget so we can help you choose what to get.  We also need to know what you are doing with your computer.  With the stuff you listed I think 500w would be fine.  It might be better to get 600 though in case you decide to upgrade something like your graphics card.  I would not recommend any of those power supplies listed.

Thank you for the link to the power supply calculator, it worked great.  As I said in my original post my budget is $500 - $600 max excluding the monitor and including Vista Home Premium.  Why do you not recommend the PSU's I listed in my original post?  Are they too small or do those brands of PSU not have a good reputation?  Or....?

computeruler

Egghead

• Yes
            • Yes
          « Reply #8 on: July 06, 2009, 12:55:08 PM »
          Those brands = phail
          Now for the cpu it really depends on what your doing for what one you are going to get.  So what exactly are you going to be doing with your computer?

2x3i5x

Expert
          • Experience: Familiar
          « Reply #9 on: July 06, 2009, 01:32:01 PM »
          Thank you for the link to the power supply calculator, it worked great.  As I said in my original post my budget is $500 - $600 max excluding the monitor and including Vista Home Premium.  Why do you not recommend the PSU's I listed in my original post?  Are they too small or do those brands of PSU not have a good reputation?  Or....?

I'd recommend you go to www.newegg.com, and check out customer reviews for different power supplies in the wattage/price range you want and then you'll see how people have fared with them....

patio

• Genius
          • Maud' Dib
            • Yes
          « Reply #10 on: July 06, 2009, 06:08:30 PM »
          CoolerMaster
          Antec
          OCZ
          PCPower and Cooling
          ThermalTake.

2x3i5x

Expert
          • Experience: Familiar
          « Reply #11 on: July 06, 2009, 06:26:06 PM »
          CoolerMaster
          Antec
          OCZ
          PCPower and Cooling
          ThermalTake.

Add to that list ... BFG power supplies. I've never used a BFG power supply before, but I have used a BFG graphics card which lasted me good 3 years before I replaced it with a newer graphics card (so I expect BFG power supplies to be built with same quality as the graphics cards  :))

jmoores

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2009, 07:19:20 PM »
            Thank you all  for your help and recommendations.  I'm building this computer for my wife who is addicted to the SIM world (her current computer won't run SIM 3).  Beyond high-end graphics in Sim type games, she plays low end internet games (POGO),  surfs the web and does her email.

The PSU calculator recommends a 500W PSU, but I'll be going with a 700W or 750W because I know that the high-end graphics games will only demand more and better graphics cards in the future....

I'm looking at Coolmax RM-750B 750-Watt Power Supply - SATA-Ready, PCI-E Ready, 120mm Fan, Active PFC as my PSU.

Since the case is an old server case I has a couple of old fans in it that I'll replace, and I thought that replacing them with a couple of 120mm fans...  so any recommendations for brands and types of fans would be welcome.

Again, thanks for all your help....

patio

• Genius
            • Maud' Dib
              • Yes
            « Reply #13 on: July 06, 2009, 07:27:31 PM »
            Calum...one of our Resident Experts here highly recommends the Scythe brand of fans...
            Quiet and powerful.

Check back if you have any further queries and Good Luck on the build !