Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Trouble resolving Windows Update Error 0x80248011  (Read 5248 times)

puterfix

Topic Starter

Rookie

Trouble resolving Windows Update Error 0x80248011
    « on: July 05, 2009, 01:25:59 PM »
    When I go to Windows Updates and click for the express scan for updates I get an error message.  The number of the error message is 0x80248011.  I have tried a couple of the solutions that Microsoft recommends on its Update site, but have not been successful in completing them.  For one it asks me to rename a file, but it won't let me change the name. 

I have used the Protection Scan/Disc Cleanup Scan on the Microsoft site and they report there are no virus problems, and I have used my Norton scan with the same results.

I have also been having a problem with shutting down my computer and have to do it by turning the power off, so I have not been receiving automatic updates. 

How can I solve this problem? Thanks for remembering that I am not very computer literate, so please use the most simplistic explanation as to how to remedy this situation.  Could the problem I have getting updates be connected to the shutdown problem?

I appreciate any help you can give me on these problems.  Thank you. 

Broni

Mastermind
    • Kraków my love :)
      • Computer Help Forum
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Trouble resolving Windows Update Error 0x80248011
    « Reply #1 on: July 07, 2009, 04:05:41 PM »
    Download Windows Update Fix to your desktop.
    Double click on downloaded file, and allow registry merge.
    Restart computer.

Sykes

Beginner

• Nice Guy :)
      • Tricks Guide
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #2 on: July 07, 2009, 06:37:34 PM »
    Hi,

Try this steps if above provided patch is not helping you. If the above patch is not solving this issue,.. please perform the steps provided below:

Deleting the Datastore and allow it to rebuild itself .

1.  Click Start >> Run >> Type cmd and click enter to open command prompt.
    2.  Enter below commands one by one,

net stop wuauserv 
    cd /d C:\windows\SoftwareDistribution
    rd /s DataStore   (Note: after this step it will ask to press Y or N, type Y and press enter)
    net start wuauserv     

3.  Exit Command prompt

However, if the issue persists, please perform the steps provided below:

What causes Error 0x80248011  : 

# Internet Cache Issue

# Corruption in the Data Store

Resolution 1:

# To resolve this error, clear the Microsoft Internet Explorer cache. To do this,

Follow these steps:

Start Internet Explorer.

On the Tools menu, click Internet Options.

Click the General tab.

In the Temporary Internet files section, click Delete Cookies.

In the Delete Cookies box, click OK.

Click Delete Files.

Click to select the Delete all offline content check box in the Delete Files dialog box,

and then click OK.

In the History section, click Clear History.

Click Yes, and then click OK.

------------------------------

Resolution 2:

# Delete the datastore and allow it to rebuild itself:

First stop the Automatic Update Service:

Click Start

Choose Run

In the Run box, type services.msc

Click OK

Right-click the Automatic Updates Service

Click Stop

After Stopping the Service please rename the folder c:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution

Open Windows Explorer

Navigate to the Windows folder

Click on the + next to the Windows folder

Navigate to SoftwareDistribution folder

Right Click on the SoftwareDistribution folder

Select rename from the Menu

Rename the folder to SoftwareDistribution.old and click Enter

Now restart the Automatic Update Service

Click Start

Choose Run

In the Run box, type services.msc

Click OK

Right-click the Automatic Updates Service

Click Start

If the issue persists, please perform these steps again to rebuild Datastore

Click on Start -> run -> type command: cmd and command prompt will appear. After you are in command prompt try the following commands.

net stop wuauserv

cd /d C:\windows\SoftwareDistribution

rd /s DataStore

net start wuauserv

Now try the service again.

May be it helps..  ;D
    Have a good day

My Blog: http://www.tricksguide.com/

Sykes :)

puterfix

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2009, 11:43:37 AM »
      Broat--thanks for the suggestion.  I downloaded the Windows fix to my desktop, but when I clicked run a box popped up with a red circle/white X which says "This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action.  Create an association in the folder options control panel."

What does this mean and how do I do this?

Sykes--thanks for your suggestions, too.  I will try the Data Rebuild suggestion if the above doesn't work.  However, I have already experienced problems with the other resolution suggestions.   I have tried resolution #1, and it didn't work; with resolution #2, I can get as far as the rename the folder, but for some reason, it will not let me rename it.  Hopefully, between Broat's suggestion and yours I can solve this problems.

Anybody: Thanks for any help you can give me with solving this problem.

One other thing I've noticed is on every start up I get a Iomega box asking me to select a data recovery file or something like that.  I have just been clicking cancel, but it keeps coming back with every start up.  Any ideas as to what this is, and could it be causing the problem I'm having with shutting down my computer/and or this Windows Update error message?  What should I do about it?

Thanks again for your help.

Broni

Mastermind
        • Computer Help Forum
      « Reply #4 on: July 12, 2009, 11:47:00 AM »
      Who is Broat?

Anyway, right click on downloaded file, and click "Merge".
      Allow registry merge.
      Restart computer.

kpac

• Web moderator

• Hacker

• kpac®
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • Yes
      • Certifications: List
      • Experience: Expert

puterfix

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2009, 12:00:37 PM »
        Broni (sorry about the Broat, I don't know where that came from!)--When I right click on the Windows Update fix icon on my desktop and then click merge, I get a security box asking if I want to run this and when I click run the red circle/white X box pops up with the  "This file doesn not have a program association . . . ." message.  What should I do about this?

Thanks for your help, and, again, apologies for messing up your name.

Broni

Mastermind
          • Computer Help Forum
        « Reply #7 on: July 12, 2009, 12:15:29 PM »
        It looks like your system files are messed up.

Go Start>Run ("Start Search" in Vista), type in:
        sfc /scannow
        Click OK (hold CTRL, and SHIFT, hit Enter in Vista).
        Have Windows CD/DVD handy.
        If System File Checker (sfc) will find any errors, it may ask you for the CD/DVD (rarely in Vista case).
        If sfc won't find any errors in Windows XP, it'll simply quit, without any message.

puterfix

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2009, 12:26:33 PM »
          Broni-- I followed your suggestion and when I hit OK a black box popped up for just a second and then disappeared.  Nothing happened after that.  Is that how it should happen?  What do I do now?

Thanks for your help.

Broni

Mastermind
            • Computer Help Forum
          « Reply #9 on: July 12, 2009, 12:31:45 PM »
          Download HijackThis:
          http://www.trendsecure.com/portal/en-US/tools/security_tools/hijackthis/download
          by clicking on Download HijackThis Installer
          Install, and run it.
          Post HijackTHis log.
          Do NOT attempt to fix anything!

puterfix

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2009, 12:39:50 PM »
            Broni-- Here's the log.  Hope this helps.  Thanks for your help.

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
            Scan saved at 2:37:14 PM, on 7/12/2009
            Platform: Windows XP SP3 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
            MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP3 (6.00.2900.5512)
            Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
            C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
            C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
            C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
            C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
            C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
            C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
            C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
            C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
            C:\Program Files\Iomega\DriveIcons\ImgIcon.exe
            C:\Program Files\HP\HP Software Update\HPwuSchd2.exe
            C:\WINDOWS\ehome\ehtray.exe
            C:\Program Files\HP DigitalMedia Archive\DMAScheduler.exe
            C:\Program Files\Iomega\AutoDisk\ADUserMon.exe
            C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
            C:\Program Files\Updates from HP\9972322\Program\Updates from HP.exe
            C:\WINDOWS\arservice.exe
            C:\PROGRA~1\Iomega\System32\AppServices.exe
            C:\Program Files\Common Files\LightScribe\LSSrvc.exe
            C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\Engine\16.5.0.135\ccSvcHst.exe
            C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe
            C:\Program Files\Iomega\AutoDisk\ADService.exe
            C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\Engine\16.5.0.135\ccSvcHst.exe
            C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
            C:\HP\KBD\KBD.EXE
            c:\windows\system\hpsysdrv.exe
            C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\jusched.exe
            C:\Program Files\DISC\DISCover.exe
            C:\Program Files\DISC\DiscUpdMgr.exe
            C:\Program Files\DISC\DiscStreamHub.exe
            C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\jucheck.exe
            C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
            C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
            C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://ie.redirect.hp.com/svs/rdr?TYPE=3&tp=iehome&locale=EN_US&c=64&bd=PAVILION&pf=desktop
            R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://ie.redirect.hp.com/svs/rdr?TYPE=3&tp=iesearch&locale=EN_US&c=64&bd=PAVILION&pf=desktop
            R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = http://ie.redirect.hp.com/svs/rdr?TYPE=3&tp=iesearch&locale=EN_US&c=64&bd=PAVILION&pf=desktop
            R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.rr.com/
            R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = http://ie.redirect.hp.com/svs/rdr?TYPE=3&tp=iesearch&locale=EN_US&c=64&bd=PAVILION&pf=desktop
            R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://ie.redirect.hp.com/svs/rdr?TYPE=3&tp=iehome&locale=EN_US&c=64&bd=PAVILION&pf=desktop
            R3 - URLSearchHook: Yahoo! Toolbar - {EF99BD32-C1FB-11D2-892F-0090271D4F88} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Companion\Installs\cpn\yt.dll
            O2 - BHO: Yahoo! Toolbar Helper - {02478D38-C3F9-4EFB-9B51-7695ECA05670} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Companion\Installs\cpn\yt.dll
            O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
            O2 - BHO: Symantec NCO BHO - {602ADB0E-4AFF-4217-8AA1-95DAC4DFA408} - C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\Engine\16.5.0.135\coIEPlg.dll
            O2 - BHO: Symantec Intrusion Prevention - {6D53EC84-6AAE-4787-AEEE-F4628F01010C} - C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\Engine\16.5.0.135\IPSBHO.DLL
            O2 - BHO: SSVHelper Class - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\ssv.dll
            O2 - BHO: (no name) - {AAAE832A-5FFF-4661-9C8F-369692D1DCB9} - (no file)
            O3 - Toolbar: Yahoo! Toolbar - {EF99BD32-C1FB-11D2-892F-0090271D4F88} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Companion\Installs\cpn\yt.dll
            O3 - Toolbar: Norton Toolbar - {7FEBEFE3-6B19-4349-98D2-FFB09D4B49CA} - C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\Engine\16.5.0.135\coIEPlg.dll
            O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TkBellExe] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe"  -osboot
            O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Reminder] "C:\Windows\Creator\Remind_XP.exe"
            O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Recguard] C:\WINDOWS\SMINST\RECGUARD.EXE
            O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [nwiz] nwiz.exe /install
            O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\system32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
            O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Iomega Drive Icons] C:\Program Files\Iomega\DriveIcons\ImgIcon.exe
            O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Iomega Automatic Backup 1.0.1] C:\Program Files\Iomega\Iomega Automatic Backup\ibackup.exe
            O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HPBootOp] "C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP Boot Optimizer\HPBootOp.exe" /run
            O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HP Software Update] C:\Program Files\HP\HP Software Update\HPwuSchd2.exe
            O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ftutil2] rundll32.exe ftutil2.dll,SetWriteCacheMode
            O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ehTray] C:\WINDOWS\ehome\ehtray.exe
            O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DMAScheduler] "c:\Program Files\HP DigitalMedia Archive\DMAScheduler.exe"
            O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Deskup] C:\Program Files\Iomega\DriveIcons\deskup.exe /IMGSTART
            O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ADUserMon] C:\Program Files\Iomega\AutoDisk\ADUserMon.exe
            O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background
            O4 - .DEFAULT User Startup: Pin.lnk = C:\hp\bin\CLOAKER.EXE (User 'Default user')
            O4 - .DEFAULT User Startup: PinMcLnk.lnk = C:\hp\bin\cloaker.exe (User 'Default user')
            O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Reader Speed Launch.lnk = C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Reader\reader_sl.exe
            O4 - Global Startup: HP Digital Imaging Monitor.lnk = C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\bin\hpqtra08.exe
            O4 - Global Startup: Updates From HP.lnk = C:\Program Files\Updates from HP\9972322\Program\Updates from HP.exe
            O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~4\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE/3000
            O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\ssv.dll
            O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\ssv.dll
            O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~4\OFFICE11\REFIEBAR.DLL
            O9 - Extra button: Internet Connection Help - {E2D4D26B-0180-43a4-B05F-462D6D54C789} - C:\WINDOWS\PCHEALTH\HELPCTR\Vendors\CN=Hewlett-Packard,L=Cupertino,S=Ca,C=US\IEButton\support.htm (file missing)
            O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Internet Connection Help - {E2D4D26B-0180-43a4-B05F-462D6D54C789} - C:\WINDOWS\PCHEALTH\HELPCTR\Vendors\CN=Hewlett-Packard,L=Cupertino,S=Ca,C=US\IEButton\support.htm (file missing)
            O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
            O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: @xpsp3res.dll,-20001 - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
            O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
            O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
            O15 - Trusted Zone: http://*.trymedia.com (HKLM)
            O16 - DPF: {44990301-3C9D-426D-81DF-AAB636FA4345} (Symantec Script Runner Class) - https://www-secure.symantec.com/techsupp/asa/ss/sa/sa_cabs/tgctlsr.cab
            O16 - DPF: {5AE58FCF-6F6A-49B2-B064-02492C66E3F4} (MUCatalogWebControl Class) - http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/site/ClientControl/en/x86/MuCatalogWebControl.cab?1246638414578
            O16 - DPF: {5ED80217-570B-4DA9-BF44-BE107C0EC166} (Windows Live Safety Center Base Module) - http://cdn.scan.onecare.live.com/resource/download/scanner/wlscbase1140.cab
            O16 - DPF: {D27CDB6E-AE6D-11CF-96B8-444553540000} (Shockwave Flash Object) - https://fpdownload.macromedia.com/get/flashplayer/current/swflash.cab
            O18 - Protocol: symres - {AA1061FE-6C41-421F-9344-69640C9732AB} - C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\Engine\16.5.0.135\coIEPlg.dll
            O18 - Filter hijack: text/html - {21b698c4-8d6e-4652-8c9c-a9fa65f3edf7} - (no file)
            O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Macrovision Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\1050\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe
            O23 - Service: Iomega App Services - Iomega Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\Iomega\System32\AppServices.exe
            O23 - Service: LightScribeService Direct Disc Labeling Service (LightScribeService) - Hewlett-Packard Company - C:\Program Files\Common Files\LightScribe\LSSrvc.exe
            O23 - Service: Norton Internet Security - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\Engine\16.5.0.135\ccSvcHst.exe
            O23 - Service: NVIDIA Display Driver Service (NVSvc) - NVIDIA Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe
            O23 - Service: Iomega Active Disk (_IOMEGA_ACTIVE_DISK_SERVICE_) - Iomega Corporation - C:\Program Files\Iomega\AutoDisk\ADService.exe

--
            End of file - 8561 bytes

Broni

Mastermind
              • Computer Help Forum
            « Reply #11 on: July 12, 2009, 02:37:57 PM »