Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Defraging  (Read 2499 times)

allthetime

Defraging
« on: May 26, 2005, 01:25:33 PM »
 :-/Now this I am puzzled because I never had this problem before.

The second time to degrag in a two month period since I had the HD formated.

It seems to go as far as only 10% complete and will not go in fater then that.

The first time I set it up at night and went to bed to do its work I woke up at 2 in the morning to shut the computer off and noticed it only went up to 10% and the defrag program was still going.  So, I let it keep going and by 6 a.m. still the same.  So I shut it down.

Today the same just up to 10%. Though it was working up to 25% and then screen went white and then the dots went up to 10%.  so I shut it down.

Over all the computer is still slow even after formating with Gateway.  I scanned for any "you know whats" and nothing.  Search and Destroy "Congratulated me on northin found"

Well, I don't know anymore, if it's not one thing wrong it's another.  It is old from 1998 vintage.  I am about ready to dig a hole in the back yard and get rid of it and pray for financing for another.

I never want to format again it is too time consuming etc.

What to do with this defrag.?

I delete any unnessary files all the time.  This other program says that I have mucho duplicate files on this computer but I don't do anything about that because I don't know what is the real file and the dup.

I always delete temp files and temporary internet files to hopefully get the computer to run faster.

I know I need more RAM, only have 192 and they say it is cheap to buy more well yes if you have the money to buy more.

Now I am not trying to be negative and all that but I am 60 had tripple bypass surgery and I am on a small VA Disability which basically pays all but a new computer.

I listen to a radio station weekly from a University teacher of computers and he says that these people who develope all these virises, worms, and trojans etc. can now at times fool Norton and the others.

What can we do, they are getting smarter and smarter.  I wish they were on our side, we could really advance computer systems.  It's like a war, a battle that has casualities on both sides.

Anyway what about my defrag problem.

Harry

Computer_Commando

Re: Defraging
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2005, 01:50:10 PM »
Windows 98?

Raptor

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2005, 02:22:22 PM »
Test the Hard Disk Drive integrity. Obtain diagnostic software from the Hard Disk Drive's manufacturer.

Fed

• Sage
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #3 on: May 26, 2005, 02:49:38 PM »
    Defrag in safe mode with all other programs shut down including antivirus stuff & screensaver.

BTW, a 1998 model computer should be more than enough unless you are trying to run some pretty hi end programs, internet surfing should be fine.
    « Last Edit: May 26, 2005, 02:53:35 PM by Fed »

allthetime

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2005, 02:08:44 PM »
    Test the Hard Disk Drive integrity. Obtain diagnostic software from the Hard Disk Drive's manufacturer

I would have to probably take out both HD's because the name (manufacturer) is not noticable, I know because I put them in and if the software costs $$$ that would not be in my budget.

This morning I did bring up safe mode and then discovered I could not disable AVG (like Norton) and my blocker.  Had a very difficult time getting out of save mode to the regular mode to disable all running programs.  After an hour + I did get out.

After getting back to safe mode and starting defrag I soon found out that it a STILL was going only up to 10 minutes.  So, enough of that.  Got out of safe mode and back to enabling my AVG program of which I had to start all over with it.  I thought "Windows Patrol" would let me just disable it and add it back later but I guess not.

I wager to bet that "IF I HAD THE FINANCING" TO BUY A P4 FASTER ALL THE WAY AROUND" after 6 months to a year the same problems would persist with the new computer.

We will just run this computer w/o defraging until the end of this year and defrag it by way of cremation.

Possibly when my grandchildren or older or grown our programers, inventors, designers will come up with a computer that is reliable.  Then again I suppose I just had the computer too long.

I do as a hoby to keep me just going is design slide presentations for a few clients.  Should have just stayed of the internet though.

If you would like to see some of my work go to:

www://beechbrook.com/pte/index.asp

look for: American Idol and Rose Hill Bed and Breakfast

Any advise on my next computer.  I will be trying for financing.

Harry

allthetime

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2005, 02:15:28 PM »
    http://beechbrook.com/pte/index.asp

Hope this is right.

I am not advertising as this type work for me is just a hoby.  But would like input on whay type of computer for muti media stuff.

Harry

Raptor

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2005, 03:00:01 PM »
    1.I would have to probably take out both HD's because the name (manufacturer) is not noticable, I know because I put them in

2. if the software costs $$$ that would not be in my budget.

1. You can obtain the name of your Hard Disk Drive by using a program such as PCWizard 2004.

The following steps may not apply to Windows 98:

1. Open My Computer
    2. Right click on the drive of your choice.
    3. Choose properties
    4. Go to the Hardware tab
    -- Here the names of your drives should be displayed. Type these in the Google search engine for relevant results.

2. The diagnostic software is entirely free. If the newer diagnostic software no longer supports your older Hard Disk Drive, most companies will send you a diagnostic diskette free of charge.
    « Last Edit: May 27, 2005, 03:00:18 PM by Raptor »