Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Could someone please tell me if you can see the pictures?  (Read 30260 times)

2x3i5x

Expert
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Familiar
Re: Could someone please tell me if you can see the pictures?
« Reply #30 on: July 06, 2009, 01:10:43 PM »
Notepad++ is a third party tool that is not made by Microsoft; like said before, Notepad++ is simply a better version of the notepad Microsoft provided with windows.

If you wanted though, you could get .... Microsoft Expressions, from this link  https://www.dreamspark.com/Products/Product.aspx?ProductId=5

Microsoft Expressions is the software that Microsoft developed (that replaced Frontpage)

AmyR7

Topic Starter

Hopeful
  • Hi Everyone!!
    • Funtrivia
« Reply #31 on: July 06, 2009, 05:27:47 PM »
Being a 3rd party tool we wouldn't be able to use something like that anyways. So many things out there say not to use a 3rd party tool.
My mom doesn't want me to download this Microsoft Expressions thing either. Sorry. She also keeps saying to me that we can't have everything in life be perfect. 

2x3i5x

Expert
« Reply #32 on: July 06, 2009, 06:00:17 PM »
I'm so sorry things had to be like that. I know how frustrating that can be  :P

But did you finally figure out how to get your images to be appearing normally instead of the other things showing up to indicate that the image is not going to show up?

At this point, if your websites generated by Microsoft Word is working fine, then I'd just stay with that for now. 

Good Luck, let us know if you come across anything new :)

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #33 on: July 06, 2009, 08:14:29 PM »
Being a 3rd party tool we wouldn't be able to use something like that anyways.
Sure, you would.  All you need to do is download it and install it.  It's totally harmless and it's free.  For those web developers who use a text editor, Notepad++ is much nicer than Windows Notepad.

So many things out there say not to use a 3rd party tool.
Can you give a specific example?  Perhaps we need to define 3rd party.  One definition here might be non-Microsoft products. Many thousands of computer users are enjoying the benefit of all kinds of third party software; some must, of course, be purchased; some, called freeware, is free.

AmyR7

Topic Starter

Hopeful
  • Hi Everyone!!
    • Funtrivia
« Reply #34 on: July 06, 2009, 11:02:23 PM »
Yes, we understand what 3rd party is.
Sorry, but my mom doesn't want me to download Notepad++. Our Internet Provider does not work with Notepad++. We have to use their software. We already have bought all the software and stuff to do stuff we want to be able to do. Our computers don't have the room for anymore either. Plus this is not a mobile device either or a cellphone.
We aren't web developers either.

2x3i5x

Expert
« Reply #35 on: July 06, 2009, 11:30:49 PM »
so I see- you've already spent money on a lot of software, which can do most of the things you want to be doing, if not everything since there's no program out there that is 100% perfect and it seems that you (or perhaps your mom more so) don't feel like installing more programs that you probably won't be using for long term 

So the only thing left is that question again  (regarding what you asked initially)-- did you finally figure out why your images were not appearing on your site correctly?  :)

kpac

• Web moderator

• Hacker

• kpac®
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #36 on: July 07, 2009, 06:17:28 AM »
Our Internet Provider does not work with Notepad++

Don't know exactly what you mean here. What software is on your computer has nothing to do with your ISP.

Plus this is not a mobile device either or a cellphone.

??? No-one said it was.

We aren't web developers either.

You create websites don't you? So you are a web developer - someone who develops websites.

2x3i5x

Expert
« Reply #37 on: July 07, 2009, 10:39:37 AM »
I think Amy meant she wasn't a professional web developer, so has no need for so many different website creating softwares on her computer.

AmyR7

Topic Starter

Hopeful
  • Hi Everyone!!
    • Funtrivia
« Reply #38 on: July 07, 2009, 11:54:36 AM »
The software is how we are connected to our ISP through the settings that we have to use for the Internet. They send us a cd with the software to load on to get the Internet setup. Also, like anytime we have a problem with the Internet not working right, why does the ISP want to know like what client we are using? Outlook Express. They also say things about like what browser we are using too.

Correct, I'm not a professional website designer or doing it for my job either.
Another thing, my dad(passed away due to cancer) was a computer programmer, so is what got me interested in using computers.
The reason I said the thing about thinking this is a cellphone or mobile phone, iphone, people keep giving me links to sites about like Css for mobile phones, cellphones, and linking to mobile phones. Here is one of thehttp://johannburkard.de/blog/www/mobile/Linking-CSS-for-handheld-devices-revisited.html links out of many of different links people keep giving me.

The only reason I started creating the sites I've created, started creating them back in 1995/1996 is because I enjoy creating things, plus I enjoy helping others out too. So, on each of my sites, at least one page will have just links to other sites out there. So, the title of the page I usually just say like if I'm making a site on a celebrity, which most of my sites are on celebs since that is one thing I enjoy alot, I put like Links to other Jonathan Taylor Thomas Sites for the title and then put together a list of links. Then it helps give people free advertising.  Then I get to format things like the background, choose what colors for like the text and the links too.
Then I put the pictures up too. Also, on like the links pages I make, I usually try and see if sites have a banner, then that helps give my sites some cute graphics too.
I also started creating my sites before the classes I've taken. I also noticed in another post on here just the other day someone new to creating sites was asking about different things to use and also was talking about static and dynamic sites. Which we learned all that stuff dynamic and static sites differences between them too and how to do them. Learned how to do animation things stuff like that, but did all the stuff with all those Microsoft programs. I have also noticed that the places we put our sites on, seem to give things to use to create/edit pages with too. Which I've been using those too.

Oh and yes, I did figure out what was wrong with the pictures not showing up. It was the thing about the folder not being there.

One thing too since too much animation crashes my computer, so is a big reason I really try not to do anything animated.
Another thing I keep trying to understand, it seems that like every website out there has problems with the codes not being right. So, how is anything suppose to ever be 100% right or for us to learn the correct ways to ever do things. Every website I go to, in the error console thing keeps coming up with so many different errors.
Here are some of what I'm talking about:
Warning: Error in parsing value for property 'FONT-WEIGHT'.  Declaration dropped.
Source File: http://wdvl.com/Authoring/Style/Sheets/NavMar.css
Line: 631
Error: Permission denied to call method Location.toString
Warning: Error in parsing value for property 'left'.  Declaration dropped.
Source File: http://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aofficial&channel=s&hl=en&q=web+developers&btnG=Google+Search
Line: 0
Warning: Error in parsing value for property 'top'.  Declaration dropped.
Source File: http://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aofficial&channel=s&hl=en&q=web+developers&btnG=Google+Search
Line: 0

Anyways, it seems like I must not be doing much wrong at all since all these years my pages seem to be showing up correctly. In all my guestbooks I read the things people say and they seem to all really like my sites alot and even say things about like the structure is really good too. Like I've mentioned due to my physical problems I can't just sit there and type out all the codes that the programs and all do for us.

Again, sorry, but my mom doesn't want me to download Notepad++. This same thing has happend with another similar situation, our ISP said we can upgrade to the new AT&T homepage and has all these neat things we can use to create/customize our page with. My mom didn't want me to do that because she is afraid it will mess up her account if I do anything with mine. I guess because of the thing that says the main accounts have to do their settings first, and hers is listed as the main one. She just said sorry, you can't do everything in life that you want to do.
It still looks like Notepad++ it has to do with browsing the internet. Why does it say stuff about browsers in the stuff about it and TCP/IP settings. and it also keeps talking about passwords and usernames for it too. It talks about bookmarks too. Which all those things is what browsers all have in them. Our computers also don't have the room for anymore stuff either, especially mine. Mine came with 256MB of RAM. Then after switching from Earthlink Dialup to Bellsouth DSL, has caused my computer to have so much problems. Did just get some more memory added just before Christmas, but still having memory problems.

2x3i5x

Expert
« Reply #39 on: July 07, 2009, 12:10:39 PM »
Well, I tested out your website using firefox (mozilla) browser and internet explorer. Seems that Firefox displays your images fine, but internet explorer still gives the red X indicating that an image is missing (the picture of the computer is the only image I see that is showing that red X)

AmyR7

Topic Starter

Hopeful
  • Hi Everyone!!
    • Funtrivia
« Reply #40 on: July 07, 2009, 12:33:55 PM »
This is exactly why I feel terrible for those who are professional webpage designers. What if they don't have Internet Explorer. Then they would never know or be able to fix the problem either. IE has been broken on both mine and mom's computers for years now.
The repairmen and even my brother-in-law just keep saying don't use IE use Mozilla instead.

kpac

• Web moderator

• Hacker

• kpac®
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
« Reply #41 on: July 07, 2009, 01:06:41 PM »
This is exactly why I feel terrible for those who are professional webpage designers. What if they don't have Internet Explorer. Then they would never know or be able to fix the problem either.

A "professional web designer" usually has all the popular browsers on their PC to test out the pages before uploading. I wouldn't exactly call myself professional, but I have IE, Firefox, Opera, Chrome, Safari, and Netscape.

2x3i5x

Expert
« Reply #42 on: July 07, 2009, 01:11:31 PM »
This is exactly why I feel terrible for those who are professional webpage designers. What if they don't have Internet Explorer. Then they would never know or be able to fix the problem either. IE has been broken on both mine and mom's computers for years now.
The repairmen and even my brother-in-law just keep saying don't use IE use Mozilla instead.

Amy, you might install the IE Tab addon for firefox (if that's what you refer to when you said Mozilla and your mom has no problem with you installing it)

See this link ... https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/1419

This IE Tab will allow webpages to load in IE mode within firefox (when activated) so you can see how your webpages look (IE Tab isn't 100% exact replacement for the standalone IE application but for most purposes, it does its job fine)
« Last Edit: July 07, 2009, 03:05:43 PM by 2x3i5x »

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
    • Me
« Reply #43 on: July 07, 2009, 02:49:40 PM »
A "professional web designer" usually has all the popular browsers on their PC to test out the pages before uploading. I wouldn't exactly call myself professional, but I have IE, Firefox, Opera, Chrome, Safari, and Netscape.

Actually, in my miserable experience, most individuals who hold themselves out as "professional web designers" test exclusively in IE and then wonder why I rant about them.   ::)
Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos

2x3i5x

Expert
« Reply #44 on: July 07, 2009, 03:07:23 PM »
What about "Professional Web Developers" that develop websites using a Mac? No IE on a MacOS apparently (you'd need to have windows installed to get it)