Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Could someone please tell me if you can see the pictures?  (Read 30543 times)

AmyR7

Topic Starter

Hopeful
  • Hi Everyone!!
    • Funtrivia
  • Experience: Familiar
Re: Could someone please tell me if you can see the pictures?
« Reply #45 on: July 07, 2009, 03:13:11 PM »
How are you able to have all those browsers on a computer? You would have to have alot of memory?
Thank you for the link for the IE thing, but mom still doesn't want me to do that one either.
Due to so many problems with software causing problems and conflicts too with other stuff too, is a big reason my mom doesn't want all these things. We have had these problems so many times on our computers.
Another thing I just thought of, there is a Windows XP Professional and Home Edition. We have Home Edition. Anyways, wouldn't a professional website designer need the Professional version?

2x3i5x

Expert
  • Computer: Specs
« Reply #46 on: July 07, 2009, 03:27:02 PM »
A professional web designer can use a home edition just fine. Professional edition of windows xp does not contain anything that would give much advantage to the web designer in terms of making websites.

Professional version of XP just has more security and some other features (that you would typically want to have in a business environment, but you aren't worried too much about as an average home user)  :)
« Last Edit: July 07, 2009, 03:44:17 PM by 2x3i5x »

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #47 on: July 07, 2009, 03:34:46 PM »
the two basic things it has that Home edition doesn't is EFS (encrypting File system) and Compression at the file system level, both features of NTFS. There are probably a few other things here and there, but that is what it boils down to.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Aegis

Expert

• Yes
    • Yes
    • Brian's Mess Of A Web Page
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #48 on: July 07, 2009, 03:41:42 PM »
The other differences are at that level:  things like how an XP Pro admin can work with workstations on a local area network, and security issues.

As far as applications and programs, an XP Home user can still perform professional functions, so you're a professional compared to many!   ;)

"For you, a thousand times over." - "The Kite Runner"

AmyR7

Topic Starter

Hopeful
  • Hi Everyone!!
    • Funtrivia
« Reply #49 on: July 07, 2009, 05:18:22 PM »
I hope this is ok for me to put a picture up of a room I made. Just wanted to show one of the things I like to design things. Since I like creating things. This is on a site I use Webkinz. Allows me to make webpages, rooms for our pets that we bought, plus it allows us to create videos, stories, so many things it lets us do.
This is a picture of the movie theater I created.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Aegis

Expert

• Yes
    • Yes
    • Brian's Mess Of A Web Page
« Reply #50 on: July 07, 2009, 05:24:28 PM »
Very nice.  Good to see creativity.   :)

"For you, a thousand times over." - "The Kite Runner"

Cityscape

Adviser

• Running Debian 8, Linux Mint and Windows 10.
    • Yes
« Reply #51 on: July 07, 2009, 05:48:15 PM »
I can see everything on your website perfectly. And I'm using Mozilla Firefox 3.5
However in IE7 the picture of the Desktop+Monitor+Speakers does not show.

I will be testing Amy's page also in Opera, Chrome, Safari, and Netscape as soon as i get time...

2x3i5x

Expert
« Reply #52 on: July 07, 2009, 06:33:07 PM »
Google Chrome is fine, I just tried it out. I expect Safari to be fine as well, since Chrome is based on webkit, the engine that is powering Safari  :)

AmyR7

Topic Starter

Hopeful
  • Hi Everyone!!
    • Funtrivia
« Reply #53 on: July 09, 2009, 12:28:52 PM »
Just wanted to thank you all very much for checking out my pages since I don't have all those other browsers.
Also, I may have found out something and wondering if maybe this could be what the problem is. If Angelfire does anything like what Geocities does, maybe could be the problem.
Here is what I'm talking about, not sure if I understand it though, but from another site I have been on someone said something about the codes Geocities does- Some of those errors is because Geocities server writes code to your pages which you have no control over.

I have a question about that, how are codes ever suppose to be 100% right if this is what is happening?

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
« Reply #54 on: July 09, 2009, 12:37:35 PM »
There's really nothing you can do about code added by free services such as Geocities.  If you want to get entirely away from that, you need to pay for a hosting service.  Many inexpensive ones are available.  The cost could as low as $4/mo. or possible less. 

And, to reiterate another point, web pages created with Word will always have some extra, unneeded coding added.  If some class on creating web pages advised students to use Word, it is because the course provider is trying make web page creation easy for persons who don't want to take time to really learn how to code HTML.  This is most likely to happen where the course is geared for students do not intend to become professional website developers but are persons interested in a personal or small business website of their own.  A college curriculum designed to teach students to become professional web developers will not have students using Word to create their pages.

AmyR7

Topic Starter

Hopeful
  • Hi Everyone!!
    • Funtrivia
« Reply #55 on: July 09, 2009, 12:53:03 PM »
Since I can't and don't work due to my health and disabilities, I don't have the money to pay for a hosting site.

Just thought of something else to ask real quick to make sure I understand about the differences free hosting. Just this past August before my health got worse and problems with my computer kept crashing too when trying to help out my sister and her husband doing a site for free for his new job, but they are now having to pay someone to do it, anyways, someone told me this-
Looks and seems to work ok except for the coding errors that Geocities server writes to your pages. You would be so much better off using a free hosting service like http://FreeWebs.com/ instead.

Now wouldn't free webs be considered a free hosting site?
Also, here is the url to my sister and her husband site, maybe someone can help me understand if their site is a free hosting or how can you tell? I thought they were paying for theirs, but maybe not.
http://www.astresurfacing.com/

Of course we are paying for the internet, DSL internet. I'm also paying on Webkinz, so would that be considered not a free host? www.webkinz.com is where it is, and yes I did have to pay for an account there. Had to buy a pet and then register everything. Can't just go and create a free account or anything.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2009, 01:11:42 PM by AmyR7 »

2x3i5x

Expert
« Reply #56 on: July 09, 2009, 01:13:48 PM »
but in any case, if your website is working as intended, that is the important thing, even with the extra codes or whatever that geocities or any other free website hosting service may add to your pages since you couldn't do anything about them anyway.

And I see that those free hosting websites may add that code to display the advertisements (for those hosting sites that have those)

AmyR7

Topic Starter

Hopeful
  • Hi Everyone!!
    • Funtrivia
« Reply #57 on: July 09, 2009, 02:18:12 PM »
I'm beginning to feel even more stupid now. Maybe I don't know as much as I thought. 
I guess since I'm not doing it for a job or anything like that doesn't really matter.
Sorry if I'm asking too many questions or anything, maybe some of my questions will help people who want to do for their job.

I would like to understand why things seem to be working out and showing up if things are wrong. Which actually,  I started creating my first site before even taking the classes I've taken.
I'll try and explain a bit more what all we did in the classes I've taken- Word wasn't the only thing we used though. Used other things too- Powerpoint, Excel, Frontpage, so many other things too and learned about dynamic and static webpages too. Here is one of the pages http://itech.pjc.edu/llemley/cgs1570w/resources.htm on the class and maybe someone can explain, why on this part of the site for the class, why does it talk about all it does.
We learned everything from adding doing links, font colors, background colors, paragraphs, heading, adding the pictures, text, everything we learned to do. Learned how to do animated stuff too. Used templates in the class.
The only other thing I can think of, are you trying to say that Word doesn't have a way to view the codes or that it doesn't allow you to save a page with .htm or .html extensions? If so, then I don't understand why it does allow me to save it with those extensions and it does have a code source viewer, and does do css too.

Thanks,
Amy

kpac

• Web moderator

• Hacker

• kpac®
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #58 on: July 09, 2009, 03:47:58 PM »
Also, here is the url to my sister and her husband site, maybe someone can help me understand if their site is a free hosting or how can you tell? I thought they were paying for theirs, but maybe not.
http://www.astresurfacing.com/
It isn't free. You can tell because the website is just one domain (the domain is "astresurfacing.com"), whereas a free website would be "astresurfacing.freeweb.com". See the difference?

AmyR7

Topic Starter

Hopeful
  • Hi Everyone!!
    • Funtrivia
« Reply #59 on: July 09, 2009, 04:09:54 PM »
Just to make sure I understand the url/domain thing,
Are you trying to say if it has freeweb in the address then it is a free site?
Also, everything I keep reading about domains, see one of my email addresses is my username I type in and then @bellsouth.net for the rest of it. The thing I'm trying to understand, in the class I took, it had an Email address typed out and showed us all the parts, and the thing that comes after the @ is the domain.
See I wouldn't be able to login to the internet or do emails or anything if we weren't paying for DSL internet service. We are logged in all the time too.

Also, at my sites I have on like Geocities, Angelfire, myspace, facebook, etc.. they don't have the word freeweb in the url. Like on Geocities, here is one of my sites http://www.geocities.com/jttfan20
Why doesn't it have the freewebs thing in it? Just in case you are wondering what the jttfan20 is, it's my username I picked since it's a Jtt site I created.