Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: battery in mobo?  (Read 2356 times)

djemima

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

battery in mobo?
    « on: July 06, 2009, 02:43:47 PM »
    so i recently formatted my pc because it was acting wonky for a while, only to have it still not work properly.
    I talked to a guy at work and he says i might have a virus that my antivirus can't find and what i should consider doing is format the harddrive again but this time when i do so take out the battery thats in the mobo to completely wipe any memory on it. he says the battery look like a watch battery. I havent been able to find it when i looked for it quickly. so my question is, is does this battery exist, does it help wipe memory during a format, and should it be used?

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: battery in mobo?
    « Reply #1 on: July 06, 2009, 02:50:06 PM »
    No.

the reason your likely still having issues, is that your hardware doesn't have the proper drivers installed.

If you post some specs and the hardware in your PC, I'm sure we can help you find and install them.
    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Dusty

Egghead

• I could if she would, but she won't so I don't.
    « Reply #2 on: July 06, 2009, 04:16:30 PM »
    Quote from: djemima
    so my question is, is does this battery exist, does it help wipe memory during a format, and should it be used?

1.  Does the battery exist?  Yes.  It is the power source for updating the Date and Time and other settings.

2.  Does it help wipe memory during a format and should it be used?  No.  The battery should be replaced when its voltage drops below a useful level, this is usually displayed by the date and/or time not updating correctly.

Please post the symptoms which you describe as "acting wonky" and "still not work properly".
    One good deed is worth more than a year of good intentions.

djemima

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2009, 05:41:57 PM »
      well one of the "wonky" problems is that my date and time dont update correctly, and every time i turn on my computer it tells me my chasis has been opened and i need to to go through like f10 settings to ignore it every time - so by ure answer dusty, this sounds like my battery is below useful voltage (the computer is over 4 years old now)

another main problem i'm having with my computer is that some webpages wont load up, for example www.livenation.com will load up the top banner but thats it. gmail wont load up unless i use html format to view my email. there are other websites (ticketmaster.com). I wasn't having this problem at first when i d/l and installed internet explorer 8.0, but all of a sudden during an online session i couldn't get any webpages to load. after restarting my pc i had use of some sites but not many. i d.lded and installed firefox and this seemed to solve the problem for a while, but then all of a sudden started not loading sites as well.

I have used superantispyware which found 5 viruses, and after deleting the files infected, i now get a problem with loading a window systems file everytime i start my pc. gonna use malwarebytes next when i get the chance but by the looks of it, it might be my best option to just format again i think.

i'm running windows xp pro, amd 64 2400, asus a8n-sli mobo, nvidia 8800gts video...

Dusty

Egghead

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2009, 09:02:48 PM »
      Sounds like that Cmos battery is overdue for replacement.  Here's a pic of what the battery looks like on a mobo (that round silver thing), please take all precautions against static discharge when replacing it:

No problem here opening the LiveNation site using F'Fox 3.0.11.

If you have an XP install disk suggest you run SFC /SCANNOW at the command prompt.

Good luck
      « Last Edit: July 07, 2009, 09:27:31 PM by Dusty »

djemima

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2009, 05:39:52 AM »
        i do have an installation disk but dont know how to do that :P could u either give me instructions or point me to somewhere that has them?
        Thanks for your help thus far!

Dusty

Egghead

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2009, 04:49:58 PM »
        First thing to do is replace the Cmos battery, it's surprising what problems a good battery will correct.

Click on Start>Run and type SFC /SCANNOW in the dialog box then hit OK.  (Note the space between sfc and /scannow.  Your system files will be checked for inconsistencies and, if any are found, you will be asked to insert your install disk from which good copies will be extracted.  This takes some time so be patient.

As posted by BC_P you may not have the correct drivers installed for your hardware, did you reinstall drivers after the format?