Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: The BEST Antivirus program?  (Read 11213 times)

MarleneD

Intermediate
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    Re: The BEST Antivirus program?
    « Reply #15 on: May 18, 2005, 08:39:39 PM »
    Hey Flame,
    Have you ever heard of the Elvis song "Suspicious Minds".  Hmmm.... put out a virus and then see if "your" program catches it...cha-ching $$$$$

hywaydave

« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2005, 09:49:09 PM »
    Well, AVG sounds great but it doesn't come with a firewall. That would be an added cost.  dl65 & hywaydave, please keep us posted on how AVG works out for you.
    Thanks to you all! :D

That's where another free product comes to play.... Zone Alarm.  I'll keep ya posted, but AVG has been great to me.  I had to rely on AVG on some computers I've worked on when Norton and McAfee didn't do their jobs.

crly1264

« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2005, 03:01:59 PM »
    Hey everyone  Nortons Antivirus 2005 is the best by far
    I also have a 1-800 24 on call number for Nortons and everytime i have called i have been helped and its been no problem

I will send the phone number for the live (FREE)
    24 hour service for nortons in a little bit

As for spyware, Nortons is mostly virus
    i would get the free Beta from Microsoft and purchase another spyware pkge that works  I have two great ones with wonderful fast support   Counterspy
    and the other is Spyware-doctor.  
    Both work great and are fast

Monty_Palmer

« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2005, 10:08:07 AM »
    When I was a defense contractor we used NAV.  When I bought a machine, McAfee came with it and was soon uninstalled.  I have been with AVG for two years now, and I love it.  I occasionally put NAV on my sandbox, and it never finds anything that AVG missed.  I also do the same with all new releases of Panda, and whatever else I stumble accross in my cyber travels, and nothing has ever found a legitimate issue that AVG missed.  In fact, sometimes the other apps find legit things and claim that they are nefarious.  FWIW, I also run Ad-Aware, Spybot (with Tea-timer activated), MS Spyware removal, and PREVX.  I am behind Agnitum Outpost Pro (for networking), and my sandbox is also currently evaluating PestPatrol 5.0.1.5.  It has found nothing that the others missed.  In addition to that I am behind a retail Linksys Firewall, natted, with the defaults all changed to obscure settings.

Defense in Depth needs to be anyone's mantra if they are interested in security.  All of the apps listed above can be found at www.download.com.

keep yourselves safe!

JoAnn

« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2005, 12:20:20 PM »
    Do any of these remove the sdbot virus variants?  Norton said it did but the virus reappears.  I've got Microsoft's Anti virus running but that doesn't clean it up. Does AVG clean it up?  F-Secure is suppose to but haven't trird the free download yet.  

JoAnn

« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2005, 12:22:32 PM »
    Do any of these remove the sdbot virus variants?  Norton said it did but the virus reappears.  I've got Microsoft's Anti virus running but that doesn't clean it up. Does AVG clean it up?  F-Secure is suppose to but haven't trird the free download yet.  

Raptor

« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2005, 12:47:30 PM »
    Microsoft has no anti-virus software.

Removing a virus does not quarantee that it will not come back. You should look into better protecting your computer.
    « Last Edit: May 31, 2005, 12:48:12 PM by Raptor »

JoAnn

« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2005, 02:01:06 PM »
    Excuse me - I meant Microsoft Spyware.  And before I protect it better I have to get rid of the virus it has.  Until I can get rid of all the hidden/modified/whatever files it will keep reinstalling when I boot up the machine, so I'm trying to find out what will get rid of the virus.  Thanks for you help

Raptor

« Last Edit: May 31, 2005, 02:08:51 PM by Raptor »

Monty_Palmer

« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2005, 07:00:59 PM »
    Raptor seems to have set you up.  There are more than enough recommendations in the rest of the thread to provide you with some guidance as to what you should be using.  Also think of spywareblaster and spywareguard, both free, to  provide you with some shielding.

Hope this helps!

merlin_2

« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2005, 07:07:13 PM »
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/AntiVir_Personal_Edition_d955.html

and sygate.firewall........get in quick before m$oft buys them out......
    « Last Edit: May 31, 2005, 07:07:32 PM by merlin_2 »