Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer Help, dont know what to do  (Read 2322 times)

dukedurl

Topic Starter

Rookie

Computer Help, dont know what to do
    « on: July 08, 2009, 08:44:10 PM »
    Hi. Today I was on my pc and my computer started to act funny.  I was just sitting listening to music in itunes and then pixels started to appear all over my screen.  Some were of different shapes and sizes depending on what visuals should have appeared on the screen.  My computer completley froze and I had to hard reboot.  After restarting my computer, I keep having the same issues right from the Windows login screen.  When I try to login to windows, my computer freezes up before I get to the desktop with a bunch of pixels.  I also have ubuntu installed on the computer and I tried to run it but it did the same thing.  I don't have an extra monitor sitting around so I can't test to see if it is the monitor, or maybe the video card? I have nvidia 8800gt card so its not onboard.  Can someone help me out? Thanxs

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Computer Help, dont know what to do
    « Reply #1 on: July 08, 2009, 08:53:40 PM »
    replace your video card.
    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

camerongray

Expert
      • Yes
      • Cameron Gray - The Random Rambings of a Computer Geek
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #2 on: July 09, 2009, 11:49:18 AM »
    Before replacing the card have a look at the fan/heatsink to see if it is blocked with dust because your card may be overheating. Also check that the fan is spinning at a reasonable speed.

If the fan us blocked try to blow the dust out or use compressed air. If the fan is not spinning check that it is connected and if it is you may be able to buy a new better fan.

Cameron Gray

westom

Intermediate

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2009, 03:36:16 PM »
      I was just sitting listening to music in itunes and then pixels started to appear all over my screen.  Some were of different shapes and sizes depending on what visuals should have appeared on the screen.  My computer completley froze and I had to hard reboot. 

Two primary suspects.  Defective video controller memory (or assocated circuits).  Or power supply voltages have always been defective - now are causing the memory cells to respond slower.  This defect could have always existed but only becomes apparent with warmer room temperatures.  IOW temperature finally permitted defective hardware to cause a failure.  (Heat is a diagnostic tool.)