Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Locating secondary internal SATA Hard Drive  (Read 2088 times)

Evanvigor

Locating secondary internal SATA Hard Drive
« on: July 10, 2009, 07:25:21 AM »
I recently ran low on hard drive space with my primary HD.  I was informed that I would be able to purchase a second HD and copy some larger, less used files to it to free up some space.  I purchased a Hitachi 1TB SATA Internal HD.  Plugged in the appropriate power supply cable and data cord and connected it to the motherboard.  When I started my computer it recognized "new hardware".  I am able to locate the new HD in my BIOS but unable to locate it in "my computer".  I have 4 data cord plugs on my motherboard with different colors, does that make a difference which one I plug in to?  Does it matter if my primary HD is IDE?  How can I find the new HD and also what is the easiest way to copy music, picture and video files to the new HD?  Better yet, is there a way I could copy ALL of the information to the new HD and not use the smaller one so I do not need to go back and forth between drives?

Thank you for any help in advance,
Evanvigor

xavier

Re: Locating secondary internal SATA Hard Drive
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2009, 08:39:23 AM »
Does it show in disc management?If so you from there format the new drive

ale52

Expert

• Deo Gratis
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Locating secondary internal SATA Hard Drive
    « Reply #2 on: July 10, 2009, 08:54:04 AM »
    To expand on Xaviers comment right-click My Computer / Manage / Disk Management.  Now follow his advice.

Alan <><  :D
    I have principles.  And if you don't like them...well...I have other principles!!