Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Help for my HP compaq nx9010  (Read 3122 times)

gcpc1

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

Help for my HP compaq nx9010
    « on: July 11, 2009, 05:45:20 AM »
    Hi All,

I wonder if you could help me please. I have a 5 yr old HP compaq nx9010 which I use regularly.  Recently, it has started to sound like it's about to take off when switched on. Recently, when I switched it on it would turn itself off after a minute or so if I did not touch the keyboard. Today I went to switch it on but nothing happened - it was dead. I put the cable into the mains socket and tried switching it on again, but still nothing. The computer appears a goner.

My question is - if I purchased a new battery would this solve the problem? I don't think it would as I don't understand why it doesn't switch on when the cable is plugged into the mains. I have a feeling that I'm going to have to buy a new laptop.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Grant

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Help for my HP compaq nx9010
    « Reply #1 on: July 11, 2009, 07:55:44 AM »
    Borrow a known good power supply of the same or greater wattage and swap it in there...
    If it works replace the PSU.
    Do yourself a big favor and don't buy the 20 dollar specials...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

gcpc1

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2009, 04:05:48 AM »
      Hi, I bought a replacement power cable but still nothing...the laptop is still dead  :( Any other ideas what I can do? I have a lot of stuff on there I'd like to get off.

Thanks in advance.

Grant

squall_01

Prodigy

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2009, 04:26:14 AM »
        you didnt mention that.  Patio  ::)  Have you tried useing it plugged into the wall?  Have you tried just running it off the battery?
        Windows 7 RC Tester.  Working on it.  Your monitor says etchasketch on the side!

If I fall who is there to pick me up now.  I stand alone but I stand as the gaurdian for whom I wish to protect.  The sound of my blade utters my name as you fall.  For I shall not move.  For those that forsake the very people are wosres

gcpc1

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2009, 04:28:53 AM »
          Hi, yes I've tried it both with and without the power cable but the thing's totally dead...I have a lot of data and stuff on there which I'd like to access.

patio

• Genius
          • Maud' Dib
            • Yes
          • Experience: Beginner
          « Reply #5 on: August 03, 2009, 07:10:14 AM »
          Get one of these:

2.5" Laptop to IDE converter...about 8 Bucks at any PC store.
          This will allow you to connect the laptop HDD to any working Desktop machine to retrieve your important data...
          " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

gcpc1

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2009, 01:03:42 PM »
            Hi, I've looked on eBay and there are several different sizes

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/?_from=R40&_trksid=p3907.m38.l1313&_nkw=laptop+ide+converter&_sacat=See-All-Categories

how do I know which one to go for?

Also, does this mean that my laptop is kaput and there's no hope for it?

Thanks.

squall_01

Prodigy

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2009, 04:07:19 PM »
              I dont recommend e-bay.  You could try geeks or newegg's not sure about the hd's in these.  You attempting to repair it yourself probably not unless you have experience
              Windows 7 RC Tester.  Working on it.  Your monitor says etchasketch on the side!

If I fall who is there to pick me up now.  I stand alone but I stand as the gaurdian for whom I wish to protect.  The sound of my blade utters my name as you fall.  For I shall not move.  For those that forsake the very people are wosres