Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Where's my new HDD gone!?  (Read 2016 times)

parisianbull

Where's my new HDD gone!?
« on: July 14, 2009, 05:00:44 AM »
Hi,

I bought a new hard drive for my existing XP SP2 system, and would obviously like to *use* it. The drive is an S-ATA II device and there are four devices already attached (and working properly) to the IDE controllers.

My XP installation apparently lacks SATA drivers, because attempting to boot with the bios exposing the drive natively leads to a BSOD, even though I'm not booting from the new drive. I set the bios to emulate the drive as an IDE device ("S-ATA drive mode") and I'm then able to boot into XP. I don't really care that performance will suffer from this IDE emulation; I just want to get my data moved over, as I plan to install the latest Win7 release afterwards (and get rid of some old disks).

The problem is that the new drive doesn't show up as another volume in XP. The drive is detected in the bios and even shows up in device manager, where it says "this device is working properly" and reports it as being at "Location 0 (0)" on the "General" tab of the properties dialog. On the "Volumes" tab, after clicking the populate button, it says disk 0, type unknown, status not initialized, partition style not applicable, and there are no volumes. I tried the "update driver" button, but it doesn't find anything.

Does anyone have any idea how I should proceed from here?

The only thing I can think of really is to download Win7, which of course has S-ATA drivers, burn it to a disc, set my bios to run the new drive natively, boot from the CD and install it on the new drive. But as I haven't tried Win7 yet I'm a little worried if I would for any reason need to go back to XP later. :|

squall_01

Prodigy

Re: Where's my new HDD gone!?
    « Reply #1 on: July 14, 2009, 05:19:23 AM »
    have you partitoned the new drive an formatted it?  I dont recommened use windows 7 at this point unless you have your data backed up.  From what I know its still in testing any way.
    Windows 7 RC Tester.  Working on it.  Your monitor says etchasketch on the side!

If I fall who is there to pick me up now.  I stand alone but I stand as the gaurdian for whom I wish to protect.  The sound of my blade utters my name as you fall.  For I shall not move.  For those that forsake the very people are wosres

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Where's my new HDD gone!?
    « Reply #2 on: July 14, 2009, 06:18:45 AM »
    How is it reported in Disk Management ? ?
    Right clik My Computer...select Manage...then Disk Management.
    Report back with your findings...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "