Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Can't access any secured sites  (Read 11543 times)

BajaBarbara

Can't access any secured sites
« on: May 27, 2005, 11:41:16 AM »
Someone was on my computer and since then I can not access any internet sites that have any security.  ie my bank.

Anyone got any ideas??  

I'm on XP, I access internet through satellite.  Otherwise I can't find a thing.  I don't have any partent control type stuff.  I run MacAfee and Webroot

Flame

• Prodigy

• Think, dream, see, be... Everything.
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Guru
Re: Can't access any secured sites
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2005, 12:34:08 PM »
Can you ask this someone what tey did, or no? Have you tried a system restore?

[glb]Flame[/glb]
« Last Edit: May 27, 2005, 12:34:17 PM by flame »

Raptor

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2005, 02:50:50 PM »
See if resetting the Internet Explorer settings to their default values has a positive effect.

Follow these steps:

1.Go to Start
2. Settings
3. Control Panel
4. Internet Options
5. Advanced tab
6. Click on the 'Recover default settings' button.

BajaBarbara

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2005, 10:57:25 AM »
The person denies doing anything but I know better.  I did a system restore and it did not help.  I called Starband and we checked "Tools", Communication and it was set up right.  Also checked Security and it appeared to be OK too.  I have Webroot Spyware & McAfee Virus, I have had them for a long time but did updates after coming back.  They do not appear to be the problem but I'm not sure.  Will try your suggestion regarding Internet Explorer and will get back.

Thanks....  Was starting to feel my question was real dumb.

Barbara Stimson

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2005, 11:06:31 AM »
OK, I did as instructed.  It now lets me know that there are secure and unsecure items (this is further than I was able to go before), do I want to go further.  I state yes, then I get the error page, cannot access.  I think this is progress but still need help.

Really appreciate your response. :)

Raptor

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2005, 11:26:43 AM »
Take the following steps:

1. Go to Start
2. Settings
3. Control Panel
4. Internet Options
5. General tab
6. Click on the Remove cookies, remove files and clear history buttons.

If your problem is solved, do not take the steps written below. If the problem persists, continue:

1. Go to Start
2. Settings
3. Control Panel
4. Internet Options
5. Security tab
6. Click on the The Internet icon. Press the Default setting button
7. Repeat steps for all other icons.

If the steps described above do not work, do as is written below:

1. Go to Start
2. Settings
3. Control Panel
4. Internet Options
5. Privacy tab
6. Click on the standard button.

Barbara Stimson

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2005, 11:44:17 AM »
Thank you Raptor, had to do all the steps suggested.  On the last recommendation you state click on the "standard" button.  I don't have one.  My Privacy is on "medium".  When I stated I get the error page, I was not clear.  I actually get "page cannot be displayed" but I am still getting it.  Any other suggestions?  ???

Raptor

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2005, 11:59:39 AM »
The reason you have no standard button is either due to the fact that I did not properly translate the button its name or because Medium is the standard setting and it is designed to gray out the standard button in order to avoid confusion.

I have three last suggestions. Two involve Internet Explorer and the other involves a miracle cure.

See if your proxy settings are properly configured:

1. Go to Start
2. Settings
3. Control Panel
4. Internet Options
5. Connections tab
6. Click on LAN-settings
-- Assuming you are connected to the Network by LAN rather than Modem.

If you are connected to the Internet through a proxy, and it has worked before, ignore the following statement:

7. Tell us if any of the options have been [wrongly] filled out.

Or

1. Go to Start
2. Settings
3. Control Panel
4. Internet Options
5. Restrictions tab
-- If you see a button that says Enable (Or engage) then you can dismiss looking here. if you see a button labeled Disable (Or disengage), continue:

6. Click on 'Properties'
7. You may be asked for a password. If you have supplied no such password in the past, you may have found the problem. Should you be able to access without entering a password, continue:
8. From the restrictions tab make certain all is set to the lowest level.
-- Unless you have configured these settings yourself and know that they are working.

Then, for the grand finale:

1. Download Mozilla Firefox
2. Install Mozilla Firefox
3. Use Mozilla Firefox
4. Enjoy Mozilla Firefox
5. Discard Internet Explorer

« Last Edit: May 28, 2005, 03:49:54 PM by Raptor »

Barbara Stimson

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2005, 03:23:55 PM »
Hi Raptor, on the 1st group about proxy settings, I am connected to the Internet through a proxy and it worked before.  I did have Starband walk me through the LAN settings and they said I was set up correctly.  I did not go further per your instructions.  Just to let you know, if I had gone further and had to find a restructions tab, there isn't one.  Should I try to go further?

Please advise.

merlin_2

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2005, 03:30:41 PM »
you should have created a guess account......first option..check your events viewer log......[control panel /admin tools]reboot pc hold down the f8 chose the last goodconfig option......do you have any firewalls...like >>http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nip.nsf/docid/2001092809135036?OpenDocument&ExpandSection=2&Src=
« Last Edit: May 28, 2005, 03:33:40 PM by merlin_2 »

Raptor

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2005, 03:49:11 PM »
Just to let you know, if I had gone further and had to find a restructions tab, there isn't one.  Should I try to go further?

My mistake. the tab where you will find the restriction settings is called content

The instructions written after 'or' are not to be ignored.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2005, 03:50:19 PM by Raptor »

Barbara Stimson

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2005, 04:12:16 PM »
Hi Merlin_2 & Raptor:

1st, Merlin thank you for the response but you lost me.  I am sorry but I am a computer dummy and you lost me at reboot pc hold down the 56 and chose the last goodconfig option.  I did not get anything when I held down the f8.  I have the firewall that came with the computer - no other that I am aware of.

2nd, Raptor under the content tab I see a button that says "enable" so I did not go futher.  As stated to Merlin, I am older and a computer dummy so I stopped when you stated to stop.  Should I go futher?

THANK YOU EVERYONE!

Raptor

« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2005, 04:15:46 PM »
Then, for the grand finale:

1. Download Mozilla Firefox
2. Install Mozilla Firefox
3. Use Mozilla Firefox
4. Enjoy Mozilla Firefox
5. Discard Internet Explorer

1. I did not get anything when I held down the f8.  
2. I have the firewall that came with the computer - no other that I am aware of.

1. before Windows loads, repeatedly tap the F8 button. You will know you have succeeded once you see a screen appear in front of you with approximately >5 choices.

2. What is the name of the firewall?
« Last Edit: May 28, 2005, 04:18:11 PM by Raptor »

Barbara Stimson

« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2005, 04:26:23 PM »
It just states "Windows Firewall".

Barbara Stimson

« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2005, 04:28:15 PM »
It just states "Windows Firewall".