Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Notebook vs. Notebook ?  (Read 1806 times)

Myron

Notebook vs. Notebook ?
« on: July 20, 2009, 09:05:35 AM »
I still have no home PC. I surf the web on an Apple Mac at their store until I get kicked-out. What exactly should I buy, a netbook or a notebook? What is the difference. All I plan to do is transfer my photos into the PC and surf the net. I plan to do nothing else. I heard that some portables have no slot for a CD/DVD and they don't advise you until after you have made the purchase, so you're screwed. I think I need a CD burner if I want to place my photos on a CD..

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Guru
Re: Notebook vs. Notebook ?
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2009, 09:11:05 AM »
Why not simply get a Desktop PC? They're MUCH cheaper. I strongly suggest it seeing as you're not going to be doing much with it.

For example, a laptop worth $2000 will be equal to a $1000 desktop.  (rough estimates)

socrates

Apprentice

• I know nothing except for the fact of my ignorance
    • Yes
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Guru
Re: Notebook vs. Notebook ?
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2009, 09:21:18 AM »
I still have no home PC. I surf the web on an Apple Mac at their store until I get kicked-out. What exactly should I buy, a netbook or a notebook? What is the difference. All I plan to do is transfer my photos into the PC and surf the net. I plan to do nothing else. I heard that some portables have no slot for a CD/DVD and they don't advise you until after you have made the purchase, so you're screwed. I think I need a CD burner if I want to place my photos on a CD..

If they're not advising you till after you purchase, you're going to the wrong store.

My suggestion is a netbook if you're truly looking for something portable.  However, as carbon said, a desktop gets you a lot better bang for your buck.

If you are looking for a portable machine, you would probably be fine with a netbook if all you want to do is browse the web and upload pictures (although, you'd probably need to sign up for picasa or flicker so you can load the photos onto a storage space online rather than on the machine, as netbooks aren't made to store a bunch of personal data)