Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Quick question on the correct definition for domain  (Read 2936 times)

AmyR7

Topic Starter

Hopeful
  • Hi Everyone!!
    • Funtrivia
  • Experience: Familiar
Quick question on the correct definition for domain
« on: July 10, 2009, 04:12:16 PM »
Still after all these years, some definitions that I read seem a little incorrect in some ways. 
Before I tell what is a bit confusing to me,
Here is like what the Windows XP book we have says about like domains and alias too-
E-mail servers can do their jobs because every mailbox has a unique e-mail address. This address has 2 parts, the alias and the domain, separated by an @.
For example, the email address [email protected] represents a user named someone who has an email account on the microsoft.com domain(in other words, they work at microsoft). Business e-mail aliasas generally consist of a person's first and last name or initials. The domain name that follows is also where you'll find that businese's Web site, simply replace the alias and the @ with www and a period, and you have the url.

The things that seem incorrect about some of those things is like my email address is [email protected] but I don't work at bellsouth. Also, it says how business aliasas have the person's first and last name or initials. Which I'm not a business either.
Plus like at the site for my brother-in-law's job is www.astresurfacing.com which that would make it seem like what was said is that his email address would be [email protected]
which that isn't his email address it's a bellsouth email like mine is removed@bellsouth.net

« Last Edit: July 11, 2009, 08:07:12 AM by Carbon Dudeoxide »

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: Quick question on the correct definition for domain
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2009, 07:58:36 AM »
Plus like at the site for my brother-in-law's job is www.astresurfacing.com which that would make it seem like what was said is that his email address would be [email protected]
which that isn't his email address it's a bellsouth email like mine is [email protected]
Just because your brother-in-law works at AST Resurfacing does not mean his email address has to be [email protected].  And, he could have both an email address at astresurfacing.com and an email address with bellsouth.net. 

Do you think a person can have only one email address?  Do you not know that anyone with Internet access can create a hotmail email account, or a Yahoo email accountl, or a Gmail account, or any two of them or all three of them?  You could do this and still have your bellsouth.net.  Your brother-in-law could have hotmail, Yahoo, Gmail, an email account at work, i.e. astresurfacing.com, and an account with bellsouth.net if bellsouth.net is his ISP at home.  That would give him 5 email accounts, and that's no problem if that's what he wants.

pragma

Beginner

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2009, 08:04:58 AM »
    Basically there are no rules for email addresses Amy. You could have 1 or a 100 email addresses at any domain you want, as long as the domain is either free or those who own it are willing to offer you an alias on their domain.

In other words, you have a bellsouth.net email address because BellSouth were willing to offer you one, most likely because you're a customer.

And speaking of email addresses you should really remove those in your first post, because spambots tend to collect email addresses from forums and adding them to their spam lists.

AmyR7

Topic Starter

Hopeful
    • Hi Everyone!!
      • Funtrivia
    « Reply #3 on: July 11, 2009, 05:00:30 PM »
    Sorry, What do you mean about the spambot thing? What about sites that have us login using our email address as our usernames? So, then AmyR7 is not listed like it is on here. My email address is listed for my username.
    Our ISP basically has to give us an email address since the username and password is what we have to use in the first place to setup the internet. You type in the username and password.

Yes, I understand we can have email addresses at hotmail and all too. Which with all the hacking, I'm glad there are so many free places to get email from. I've had so many of my accounts hacked and then no way to get them back either because of all the information they change, so then the stuff you have to provide them to prove the account is yours doesn't match anymore because they changed that information.
    Also, maybe someone can tell me what do you do in situations where you need to give a site a new email address. Like on classmates I have a gold membership. Like when my email gets hacked, I have to give them a different one, but then they send the information to your old email account too, so then the hackers get my credit card information too and I had my credit card charged again too when I changed my email with them.
    The other thing that still seems a bit confusing is no, my brother-in-law's email for his job is his bellsouth email account. So many people work at home, so what if they work from home?

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #4 on: July 11, 2009, 05:45:21 PM »
    Sorry, What do you mean about the spambot thing?
    See How do spammers get my Email address?.  That's why email addresses should not be posted in forums.

What about sites that have us login using our email address as our usernames? So, then AmyR7 is not listed like it is on here. My email address is listed for my username.
    Any site that requires using your email address should be using a secure logon page.  A secure page is where the URL starts with https://, not http://. 

Our ISP basically has to give us an email address since the username and password is what we have to use in the first place to setup the internet. You type in the username and password.
    Yes, but you should change that password right after your ISP issued username and password, and periodically change it thereafter.  And, use a "strong" password.  See Strong passwords: How to create and use them

Like when my email gets hacked, I have to give them a different one, but then they send the information to your old email account too, so then the hackers get my credit card information too ......
    Again, if you're having a problem with someone getting your email password and accessing your email, that's a clear sign you need to improve your password management practices.  Use strong passwords, change them periodically, and tell no one.  That should prevent the problem.

The other thing that still seems a bit confusing is no, my brother-in-law's email for his job is his bellsouth email account. So many people work at home, so what if they work from home?
    Perhaps the company has a policy of using employees personal email accounts to communicate via email.  Setting up accounts for all employees in the format of [email protected] takes a a bit work.  Perhaps they just don't do it.  Also, we don't know for sure whether their web hosting service offers adequate email services for the company to have [email protected] email accounts for everyone. 

pragma

Beginner

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2009, 05:50:21 PM »
      Also, maybe someone can tell me what do you do in situations where you need to give a site a new email address. Like on classmates I have a gold membership. Like when my email gets hacked, I have to give them a different one, but then they send the information to your old email account too, so then the hackers get my credit card information too and I had my credit card charged again too when I changed my email with them.
      Like soybean said, it sounds like you need to tighten up your security so you don't get hacked. Cure the problem instead of the symptoms.
      Have you had the guys over at Computer viruses and spyware give your computer a check for malware? Malware is often used to lift password and credit card information.

The other thing that still seems a bit confusing is no, my brother-in-law's email for his job is his bellsouth email account.
      It's up to the company really. If his job involves email communication it is pretty common for a company to provide a work email address. But it is not a set in stone rule. Having a work email or not really depends on job position and the type of company you're employed by.

So many people work at home, so what if they work from home?
      It doesn't matter where you work from. Take me for example. I work as a programmer for a living. I can basically work from anywhere as long as I got my laptop, my mobile and an internet connection. Wherever I go I can check my work email as easy as you would check Hotmail or any other web based email service.

AmyR7

Topic Starter

Hopeful
      • Hi Everyone!!
        • Funtrivia
      « Reply #6 on: July 11, 2009, 06:13:07 PM »
      The webhosting company is setup like places like Geocities, Angelfire, etc.. where you login with your username and password.
      The reason I know it is because I was helping them with their site before I had to quit due to a number of issues, my health getting worse and problems with my computer not working right either anymore and kept crashing everytime I logged into the site to work on it.
      I do have strong passwords, but still keep having the problems. Long and confusing ones and I have them all written down too. Yes, probably is the spyware that got the passwords. My brother-in-law is trying to help with the problems since he knows alot on computers and so much long physical things to do and all that I can't do for long and stuff on my own.
      Yes, but to work from a mobile type of connection, or other things like you said, you need a laptop. We have a Desktop, and don't have a mobile or cellphones.