Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Question about cross fire.  (Read 2141 times)

I Shooter

Topic Starter

Hopeful

Question about cross fire.
    « on: July 13, 2009, 09:05:52 PM »
    I am looking at building a new computer using the I7 Intel CPU. All the boards that I have seen support cross fire. My question is can you use any two of the same video cards or do they have to say that they support cross fire? It seems that most ATI cards support cross fire. Nvidia has no mention of it at any price. Thank you much for your help.

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Question about cross fire.
    « Reply #1 on: July 14, 2009, 03:53:58 AM »
    Crossfire is an AMD/ATI technology, lets you use more than one AMD/ATI card together.  Nvidia's equivalent technology is called SLI.  You cannot use an ATI and Nvidia card together in Crossfire or SLI, only cards form the same manufacturer.  Nvidia cards must be the same model, I'm not sure about ATI cards but I think they're more flexible - do check on that.  Performance will be limited by the slowest card in either case.

Hope this helps.

I Shooter

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2009, 01:15:32 PM »
      Thank you for your  reply. I don't understand how 2 cards work. I mean you only hook your monitor to one? How will two cards help?

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
        • Yes
      « Reply #3 on: July 14, 2009, 01:21:00 PM »
      The two cards are connected together internally with a bridge (at least, with SLI they are, and I'm fairly sure Crossfire is but not 100% sure off the top of my head).  They then share the processing between them, and output to the monitor through whichever card is connected to it.
      The rendering methods are different, but they can share the work by rendering alternate frames, different parts of each frame, etc.
      The performance boost isn't 100% as there are overheads and restrictions, but in some games it can come close to that.

Hope this helps.

I Shooter

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2009, 01:19:27 AM »
        Yes, that was very helpfull. I was just looking at a board that will hold 3 cards. That seems a bit much to me. I really thought that two cards was a bit much. I mean if one card will work to play a game then why would you need two. Then you just explained it to me. Very good thank you for your reply and time.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
        • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
          • Yes
          • Yes
          • BC-Programming.com
        « Reply #5 on: July 15, 2009, 02:54:50 AM »
        for the one with three... I'm not even sure if SLI and crossfire supprot that...

but if they do three would have the same benefit, (although less pronounced).

Of course you don't ALWAYS need to put a video card in the slot.
        I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
          • Yes
        « Reply #6 on: July 15, 2009, 03:42:05 AM »
        3 way SLI and Crossfire, and even higher, are supported and available, but not on all cards and boards/chipsets.
        Generally multi-card solutions don't scale very well past 2 cards, as not all games even scale or support 2 cards.
        As BC rightly says, just because the board and cards have the capability doesn't mean you have to use it, it's just another upgrade option should you want it.

killerb255

Adviser
          • Experience: Expert
          « Reply #7 on: July 15, 2009, 09:44:46 PM »
          To add, Crossfire does work with two different cards.  However, all cards involved in the crossfire setup clock down to the slowest card's specs. 

With that in mind, I'm not sure anyone would want to crossfire 2-3 different model cards...
          Quote from: talontromper
          Part of the problem is most people don't generally deal with computer problems. So for most they think that close enough is good enough.