Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Will a AGP 8X card work in a 4X slot?  (Read 2495 times)

neelchauhan

Will a AGP 8X card work in a 4X slot?
« on: July 14, 2009, 12:46:44 PM »
I have a PC which I want to upgrade. The specs are:
Intel Pentium 4 1.3GHz on Intel D850GB
512MB RAM
Intergrated Sound
nVidia Geforce 2 GTS AGP
3Com 3C509TX
CD ROM Drive
Windows XP
(Not Ready for Vista and Win7)

After the Upgrade, it will be:
Intel Pentium 4 1.7GHz on Intel D850GB
512MB RAM
Intergrated Sound
nVidia Geforce 5200FX AGP
INTEL PRO/1000 MT PCI ethernet adapter
DVD ROM Drive
Windows XP
(Ready for Vista and Win7)

I was wondering if a AGP 8x card will work in a 4x slot, and if the GeForce 5200FX is a AGP 8x, or 4x, or both.

jowolf359

Rookie

Re: Will a AGP 8X card work in a 4X slot?
    « Reply #1 on: July 14, 2009, 07:29:59 PM »
    The AGP card should work no problem. As to it being a 8X or 4X I have no idea. When I build a system for someone or update it 9 times out of 10 I use the parts they want, if they bring me the parts. On my own I build from the best I can get or afford and try each out. Just my 2 cents.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #2 on: July 14, 2009, 07:45:24 PM »
    It will run at 4X....
    You need to be sure however it is at the right voltage....there were 2 i believe.
    It needs to match the MBoard output.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

westom

Intermediate

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2009, 08:26:17 PM »
      It will run at 4X....
      You need to be sure however it is at the right voltage....there were 2 i believe.
      Voltages were automatically adjusted by the motherboard. As I recall, a resistor on the AGP card. Yes, there are two voltages and some other voltage difference on the signals.  All taken care of automatically by the motherboard.

Learned this on a motherboard that would not support the 8x video card.  We even looked at those voltages and signals with a O'scope.  Found absolutely nothing wrong. However the manufacturer discontinued that AGP card only a few month later - without comment.

Appreciate how these cards are manufactured.  Video manufacturer may test them on every motherboard they can find.  And yet this particular video controler which worked in another system just would not work in that system.  We can only guess why it was discontinued quickly.  They did not discover a signal anomaly until after in production.  Tolerance for AGP signals are so tight that sometimes a perfectly good video card will not work in a perfectly good motherboard.  It

As long as that controller mates easily in that socket, it *should* work.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
      • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • BC-Programming.com
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #4 on: July 14, 2009, 09:03:32 PM »
      well, cards that use the 1.5v spec and are installed into a older motherboard that uses 3.3v can damage the motherboard... Of course almost all 3.3v cards were keyed different from 1.5v cards, so you can't usually even physically insert the card.

Regarding the motherboard that wouldn't support an 8x card; was this just one specific 8x card, or would no 8x card work in that machine? 8x is newer then 4x and likely requires different logic. Of course if other 8x cards worked fine then it was likely as you said, a signal anomoly.  :)

I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.