Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Boot issues->what to do with no drivers?!  (Read 2554 times)

supiku

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

Boot issues->what to do with no drivers?!
    « on: July 14, 2009, 02:09:02 PM »
    Yeah, so... i'm using vista and a bought a memory to use with readyboost and i accidentally kicked it down when i turned my comp on... :(
    I got to the windows log in screen when BSoD came upon me saying there's something wrong with my ram and so on and so on (too fast;didn't read :-\)
     then i tried to turn it on again but it restarted immediately and now i can't use anything plugged in to it.
    so basically nothing happens when i move the mouse, can't press any buttons and :rofl:  :||x the screen does ->not<- work! ofc then i can't use a bootable CD cuz i can't press any buttons or see what i'm doing... :o

Anyone with tips on what i should do?! and why it's acting this way?! My guess would be drivers or something that it was stupid enough to store on the usb memory card...hm It's only been with me for a year i don't want to trash it and buy a new one. :'(
    « Last Edit: July 14, 2009, 05:20:06 PM by supiku »

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Boot issues->what to do with no drivers?!
    « Reply #1 on: July 14, 2009, 06:36:02 PM »
    Something more happened here than we've been told...you can disable/enable readyboost off and on and the system should still boot up properly...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

supiku

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2009, 05:25:57 AM »
      ye i've been able to take the usb memory out while i'm still in windows and readyboost would kick in all the time when i put it back in again. (oh i might add that i just recently discovered that i should use the 'safe-unplugging-thingie'...) :-[

i thought it would be alright if i left it in when rebooting and that worked a couple of times...but the usb came out while the computer was booting before windows log in screen..

Can i use another harddrive and install vista on that and start up the computer that's not working with that harddrive?

killerb255

Adviser
        • Experience: Expert
        « Reply #3 on: July 15, 2009, 09:28:35 PM »
        So, if you unplug the power from your computer for about five minutes, plug it back in, and turn your computer on, which one of these happen:

a) you get nothing on the screen? 

Or

b) It POSTs (boot to all the BIOS messages), gets to the Vista splash screen (the little green bar with "(C) Microsoft Corporation" under it), BSODs, then blank screens w. no response?
        Quote from: talontromper
        Part of the problem is most people don't generally deal with computer problems. So for most they think that close enough is good enough.

supiku

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2009, 10:06:42 AM »
          A)!!!  :'( i've even tried four hours but nothing =(

killerb255

Adviser
            « Reply #5 on: July 16, 2009, 11:27:26 AM »
            So, we have power, but no POST.

These always suck, since there's no easy way to determine what's causing it.

1) Remove the CMOS battery from the motherboard (silver thing that looks like a watch battery).  Wait about 5 minutes or so, then put it back in.  See if it POSTs.  If it does, great!  If it doesn't, then...

2) Unplug/remove everything from the motherboard except for the following:
            - Power supply
            - CPU and heatsink
            - One (1) stick of RAM
            - Video card

See if it POSTs.  If yes, goto 3a.  If not, goto 3b.

3a) If yes, then add one item back in at a time, and see if it POSTs.  Rinse and repeat until either everything works (you're done!) or the computer decides not to POST.

If it doesn't POST, then

a) The component you added in probably caused it not to POST (replace the component in question)
            or
            b) Your power supply finally hit its operational limit after adding that one component...if so, there may be some merit in someone's frequent (and often patronizing) suggestion in using a multimeter to test your power supply.  If the power supply ain't working like it's supposed to, then replace the power supply itself.

3b) Switch the stick of RAM out for one of your other sticks, if applicable.  If it works, you're done!  Replace the bad stick of RAM.  If not, then goto 4.

4) Switch out the video card for another one compatible with your system.  If it works, great!  If not, then...

5) Switch out the power supply for another one compatible with your system (that's the only thing left other than the CPU and motherboard).  If it works, great!  If not, then.

6) Remove the motherboard from the case and put it on top of a cardboard box (do NOT put it on top of an anti-static bag--the outside of an anti-static bag is conductive--the inside is insulative).  Plug in your power supply, video card, and a stick of RAM and see if it works.  If so, great!  That means something between the motherboard and computer case is causing a short.  Find out what it is (a stray piece of metal, a gold standoff that's not aligned to a screw-hole in the motherboard, etc.).  Once that's resolved, you're back in business!  If it DOESN'T work, then it's probably the motherboard (it could also likely be the CPU--if you have a spare CPU that's compatible with your board, by all means try it, but if not, don't worry about it). 
            Part of the problem is most people don't generally deal with computer problems. So for most they think that close enough is good enough.

supiku

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2009, 12:15:59 PM »
              o.o ooh...complicated, but thanks for the help =) I'll try and see what works  ;)

supiku

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2009, 01:42:21 PM »
                Okay..hm...so i have those um dunnu what u call them, but all my stuff is built into the motherboard-card. only card in the slots are the network-card. So how do I remove those? and i forgot to mention that prior to my computer failure there were alot of stormy weather. Could that do something like this? :-\

And since i'm a bit of a newbie when it comes to the inside, would it be worth sending my computer to someone for fixing? Anyone who knows what a good price to do that would be? And finally would they really be able to fix it?
                Sigh~ and it's only a 1 year old infant.... :(

killerb255

Adviser
                  « Reply #8 on: August 03, 2009, 01:07:00 PM »
                  If it's only 1 year old, find out what the warranty is on it and get in touch with the manufacturer.

If it's out of warranty, then it would be worth sending it to a computer repair center.