Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: How to setup a um175 in bridge mode  (Read 5889 times)

two-dogs

Topic Starter

Intermediate

How to setup a um175 in bridge mode
    « on: July 14, 2009, 03:35:18 PM »
    Ok I have a verizon pantech um175 and want to know if you can setup this up in bridge mode......thanks.........two-dogs

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
      • Me
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: How to setup a um175 in bridge mode
    « Reply #1 on: July 16, 2009, 05:38:18 AM »
    That's a modem.  What are you trying to achieve?
    Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos

two-dogs

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2009, 08:27:58 AM »
      I want to bypass the nat on the modem to allow udp packets from being blocked.  So my device will have complete access to receive the packets an not drop them.

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
        • Me
      « Reply #3 on: July 16, 2009, 11:21:23 AM »
      Have you reason to believe the modem is blocking UDP?  I'm guessing you've already checked your firewall and confirmed your ISP isn't blocking.

What application are you trying to configure, that you need to be able to respond to unsolicited UDP packets?

two-dogs

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2009, 03:05:14 PM »
        Ok I have a IP device that sends udp packets and I was told by someone that my modem is dropping the packets and it needs to be setup in bridge mode or turn off that Nat that it is behind.  I will get more info and try and explain better.........by the way thanks for replying to my post.........two-dogs   

two-dogs

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2009, 07:28:18 PM »
          I need to bypass the air cards functions and make it a native modem.  This way the router will take all the commands, and the air card will let the packets pass........two-dogs 

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
            • Me
          « Reply #6 on: July 20, 2009, 06:19:40 AM »
          Oh okay.  I would have thought it most likely that your mobile telecoms provider is dropping the UDP packets, not the modem.  Have you asked them?  Some have an anti-UDP policy primarily because VOIP programs (like Skype) rely on UDP.  Using the device as a native modem could change the way you are charged for yout internet access - you may need to check that your ISP's data package permits you to do this.

two-dogs

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2009, 06:36:05 AM »
            I called verizon and they were no help at all, they told me that they are not schooled in that area and could not help me.  I did have them to upgrade my modem to a 760 sense I am still in the 30 day trial period.  Rob while I have your attention I need to know what is the best way to get a better signal for my broadband.  I have a hawkings antenna on the roof but it doesn't seem to do as well as I think it should.  I am about 6 miles from the tower and some trees are in the way.  I am also hooked up to a netgear MBR624GU and when I am hooked up to it it seems to get a stronger signal.  So could you give me a better solution to my signal problem.......thanks........two-dogs 

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
              • Me
            « Reply #8 on: July 20, 2009, 03:44:42 PM »
            Man, I wish I could help.  Other than "move house" ;)  I'm not sure I've got much to suggest - you could try a directional 3G antenna, but your mileage may vary and you'll pay through the nose for a good one, I suspect.

It's not surprising that first line support were useless on this - you need to get through to someone technical.  Preferably with a beard.  Male or female, it doesn't matter.

Back to using your device as a native router...  Have you dug around for drivers?  Who makes this modem?  Google isn't finding much other than links to the same question you've asked elsewhere!  Have you had any success with the replacement device?

Quantos

Guru
            • Veni, Vidi, Vici
              • Yes
              • Yes
            • Computer: Specs
            • Experience: Guru
            « Reply #9 on: July 20, 2009, 04:06:59 PM »
            I called verizon and they were no help at all, they told me that they are not schooled in that area and could not help me.  I did have them to upgrade my modem to a 760 sense I am still in the 30 day trial period.  Rob while I have your attention I need to know what is the best way to get a better signal for my broadband.  I have a hawkings antenna on the roof but it doesn't seem to do as well as I think it should.  I am about 6 miles from the tower and some trees are in the way.  I am also hooked up to a netgear MBR624GU and when I am hooked up to it it seems to get a stronger signal.  So could you give me a better solution to my signal problem.......thanks........two-dogs 

Do you have the option of going to a cabled connection?  They are far more secure and generally faster than a wireless signal.
            Evil is an exact science.

two-dogs

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2009, 04:17:28 PM »
              Rob I got verizon to let me upgrade to a 760 and it will be here on Tue.  I will let you know if at all is better or not......two-dogs  

two-dogs

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2009, 04:20:44 PM »
                No I live 50 miles from town and I did have hughes and that was a piece of ....so slow you couldn't even browse at all between 7 and 9, so I am stuck with what I have......two-dogs

Quantos

Guru
                • Veni, Vidi, Vici
                  • Yes
                  • Yes
                « Reply #12 on: July 20, 2009, 04:22:33 PM »
                Have you tested your antenna to insure that it is indeed pointed in the correct direction?

two-dogs

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2009, 04:38:45 PM »
                  Quantos I have a Channel Master that is used for dish satellite to locate the birds will that work with the broadband signal.  I have to buy an adaptor to go from coax to an n connector, didn't want to waist any more money my wife is having a fit.  If that will work I can maybe toon it in better.........two-dogs   

Quantos

Guru
                  • Veni, Vidi, Vici
                    • Yes
                    • Yes
                  « Reply #14 on: July 20, 2009, 04:40:52 PM »
                  What kind of signal strength does the channel master show?

Some ISP's  will set up the access point for free, I just want you to be prepared to shell out $100 if that's what they need.