Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: internet for my shop  (Read 2522 times)

december45

internet for my shop
« on: July 03, 2009, 07:52:22 PM »
we have a wrt 54g wireless router now and a couple of laptops everything works fine, just the way it is supose to, however i would like to use my laptop in my shop....
shop is located 525' from router
internet provider is wildblue (satellite)
the wrt54 g router gets the signal out to the door of the shop, facing the router, but thats it, its unusable, very week signal, we bought a linksys wrt320N and a N usb network adapter, but it isnt any better than the old router and old network adapter, so we returned it.
ive played with the idea of cat5e but the distance is too far for that so ive read, so now what can i do?

i need some ideas please, or links or something... im new to all this so please give it to me in the most simple terms.. thanks

Quantos

Guru
  • Veni, Vidi, Vici
    • Yes
    • Yes
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Guru
Re: internet for my shop
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2009, 02:49:40 AM »
I would recommend CAT 5 with a repeater.  Your internet provider should be able to hook you up.

Normally CAT 5 can do about 300' without a repeater.
Evil is an exact science.

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
    • Me
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2009, 11:06:52 PM »
Maybe a high gain antenna?  But I don't think a domestic router would be ideal for that range.
Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos

Quantos

Guru
  • Veni, Vidi, Vici
    • Yes
    • Yes
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2009, 05:08:05 PM »
The problem with that is wireless is so damned insecure.  I would go wired with a repeater, at least that way you know it's secure.
Evil is an exact science.